Anybody Been To Pecos Texas?

There's a fairly lucrative opportunity I have some interest in out there. However, from what I read the town is pretty miserable. Can anyone confirm or deny?

You have peaked a little interest now - Seems like I went through there on the way somewhere but don't remember too much about it. If it is miserable there, I can't imagine outside of oil what there would be there that would be lucrative.

It's not a get rich type of opportunity, but they do need professionals. Even out there. I would get a 25% increase to go, but it may be because no one desires to live there. Is there anywhere decent to live within a 40 mile radius?

I imagine the cost of living (housing) is quite a bit cheaper, so it might be a good opportunity to horde money for a few years. I don't want to be somewhere too terrible though...

It's not a get rich type of opportunity, but they do need professionals. Even out there. I would get a 25% increase to go, but it may be because no one desires to live there. Is there anywhere decent to live within a 40 mile radius?

I imagine the cost of living (housing) is quite a bit cheaper, so it might be a good opportunity to horde money for a few years. I don't want to be somewhere too terrible though...

I guess any place is what you make it. It's not a big town, and it is pretty flat, dry, and desolate. The nearest sizeable city is Odessa, but I believe it's more than 40 miles east. I had a friend who moved to Pecos, and he loved it. His wife and daughter, on the other hand, hated it.

Did a gig there.

Get your drinking water bottled from the local Wal Mart at the town's only stop light, and avoid the locals.

Well this is sounding worse and worse. Are the people just a bunch of feckless bums and criminals or what? Should I live outside of town? I might have to ask for more money than thought....

I did my open water dive in Balmorhea, 50 miles south of Pecos, and it seemed like Pecos was about 80 miles from Odessa. But it looks like there was nothing and I mean nothing for as far as the eye could see, the high point would be Fort Davis is only a hundred miles south and if you have a fast car there are plenty of room to test its top end.