Dmn Non-coverage

KRAM1

OK, I know some folks on the board are not at all concerned about this, and I was not too worked up over it until this morning when i opened my DMS sports section and found ABSOLUTELY NO MENTION OF NORTH TEXAS and the LSU game. Come on, what the heck is up with that? Yes, the sports section is going from very good to mediocre and probably lower than that soon, but to not even mention UNT???? What gives? Thirty five thousand students, many thousands of grads and/or "former students" in the DMN coverage area, and not a mention?

OK, just had to vent a little....

OK, I know some folks on the board are not at all concerned about this, and I was not too worked up over it until this morning when i opened my DMS sports section and found ABSOLUTELY NO MENTION OF NORTH TEXAS and the LSU game. Come on, what the heck is up with that? Yes, the sports section is going from very good to mediocre and probably lower than that soon, but to not even mention UNT???? What gives? Thirty five thousand students, many thousands of grads and/or "former students" in the DMN coverage area, and not a mention?

Never expect anything from DMN as they have a long SMU pedigree and stick to it, unlike FtWST which has a good TCU team to cover but still gives us our due. If you read the SMU stories ONLY in the DMN you would be certain that the 'Stangs are a national title contender.

I don't know what you are talking about? My DMN edition has more coverage on page 18C than TCU, and a picture of Casey Fitzgerald. I would think the TCU fans would wonder why NT gets more coverage than they do, when Ft Worth is a few miles closer to Dallas, they draw bigger crowds, and they have a very good team, year in and year out. Can anyone else back me up on this?

Guest GrayEagleOne

I was getting ready to reply when I saw Dodgefans' post. On page 18C we have four columns extending 3/4 of the way down the page. It includes a picture of a reception by Fitzgerald and I believe is the same writeup that appeared in the Record-Chronicle plus the Notebook. We are right beside Oklahoma, which only got two column width. TCU got two column width but it extended the full page. How much did we get in the Star-Telegram?

You must get the seventy four for one special that has the DMN early edition and the RC and all the little piss ant local papers for a subscription price of $11 a month ( which is excessive for content ). Seriously, you must have seen the early edition that you can get a the grocery stores on Saturday night.

I believe Kram was referring to Saturday's paper, not Sundays. Not a word about UNT in Sat's paper.

At least two factors are at work here:

- the DaMN has significantly cut back its coverage of college football on other than game reporting, especially the national scene. All of college football got two pages on Sat; the pros got six.

- as to college football, the BigXII South gets most of the coverage. SMUs coverage is far behind that of BigXII South schools even though SMU is the nearest thing to a home-town team. After SMU, UNT and TCU get roughly the same space.

Like all print media, circulation is decreasing as is advertising revenue. The DaMN has done a number of things to cut costs, including it appears reducing coverage of college football.

Still though... If you ignore all the coverage of UNT that was in the Dallas Morning News... THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY NO COVERAGE OF UNT IN THE DALLAS MORNING NEWS!!

This is totally outrageous.

Also, if you throw away the front section of the newspaper, they didn't cover this hurricane story at all, either! What sort of operation are they running?!?!

STOP BUYING that paper. Seriously.

I did not get anything on it either. Plenty of SMUT-TECHNO, but NOOOO UNT(and no, mine was not an early edition). If you're as far out as i am(40 miles), maybe we don't get the same editions(but, yes we did get plenty of hurricane coverage). I'd switch, but the Star-Telegram would probably get here a day late. The Cedar Creek Pilot or the Monitor rarely cover Mean Green atheletics. There was a small reference to their website for NT/LSU coverage.

Typical...

I went to the TxTech/Smut game??.. The highpoint of the game for Smu was the opening coin flip... they won.. After receiving the kick off it was downhill, SMUpassed on the first play which was intercepted and tech scored 2-3 plays later.

Oher highlight.. Graham Harrell set the all time Tech passing TD record against SMU.

SMU threw five interceptions and that was a record (public address) for Tech or either that it was arecord for a single Tech player.

I love records that paint SMU in a bad light. Oh yeah SMU allowed 693 total yards which was 270 more than North Texas allowed against the defending National Champion, LSU

The final score was 43-7 and the game ended with Tech less than one yard from the end-zone and 50 points. I loved the game.

I am also betting that the DMN failed to mentions that SMU is now allowing 541 yds per game, only two teams are doing worse... NMSU and UAB. but just barely ....27 more yards would put them in last place. Bet the DMN failed to mentioned these highlights of SMU.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Kind of funny you went to the SMU game and not the North Texas game. What a fan.

Kind of funny you aren't happy that he stayed in town and went to your game during a tropical storm. He might have out numbered your fans at the game. It's funny that even SMU's fans make fun of people that go to their games...

Edited by MeanMag

Kind of funny you aren't happy that he stayed in town and went to your game during a tropical storm. He might have out numbered your fans at the game. It's funny that even SMU's fans make fun of people that go to their games...

I'm pretty sure he didn't go for the benefit of SMU..lol...so, whatever...just thought it odd he would skip his own game...maybe he just wanted to get his guns up...

I traveled to Lubbock for the game; however, many of our fans were stuck in Dallas because Love Field was closed on Saturday.

I'm pretty sure he didn't go for the benefit of SMU..lol...so, whatever...just thought it odd he would skip his own game...maybe he just wanted to get his guns up...

Actually - he does love to get his guns up - the man likes him some Tech. He's fought for Leach's honor on this board before and may do it again. They have a special bond that can only be trumped by unnecessary political thread hijacks.

I traveled to Lubbock for the game; however, many of our fans were stuck in Dallas because Love Field was closed on Saturday.

In other news, Love Field has apparently been closed every Saturday since 1987.

To be honest if people really cared about NT football then they would have mentioned NT and their game. In my eyes its not so much that they did not mention NT, but it was more of the fact that they did not mention defending national champion LSU. Just win and things will change.

I've said this is other threads as well and will say it again...June Jones is a damn good coach and he will turn that SMU program around. All he needs is time.

And, I have said this on this board before and will say it again, Todd Dodge is a damn good coach and will get UNT's program turned around.

GO MEAN GREEN....BUY SEASON TICKETS...GO TO THE GAMES.....JOIN THE MEAN GREEN CLUB...JOIN THE EXES/ALUMNI ASSOC.!!!!!

Kind of funny you went to the SMU game and not the North Texas game. What a fan.

I went to the Texas Tech game too because my daughter is a Freshman out there. The post was pretty accurate. One thing missing was the absolute negative fan support I saw by SMU. So, Poneez, let's talk about fan support. I'll bet you a sandwich UNT took more fans to LSU that SMU took to Lubbock. My guess you'll drop this argument pretty fast. YOur fan base is pathetic unless its a sure win, convenient and the "right crowd" will see them there. Still just a status thing, I guess, at SMU.

I went to the Texas Tech game too because my daughter is a Freshman out there. The post was pretty accurate. One thing missing was the absolute negative fan support I saw by SMU. So, Poneez, let's talk about fan support. I'll bet you a sandwich UNT took more fans to LSU that SMU took to Lubbock. My guess you'll drop this argument pretty fast. YOur fan base is pathetic unless its a sure win, convenient and the "right crowd" will see them there. Still just a status thing, I guess, at SMU.

I'm not trying to argue, just making an observation. I just found it odd that someone would make a big deal about how crappy SMU played instead of going to their own game. No more, no less.

----I live 350+ miles from Denton and close to Lubbock.. My wife is Tech grad and I even was a graduate teaching assistant there one year .

----Don't mouth off until you understand the situation.... and beside that it has been several years since I have not attended at least one NT game and usually 2-3 . [ two of my kids are NT grads as am I, they live in Dallas] How many miles do you drive. ??????? I will bet even one of my round trips is more miles that you drive in all of yours combined. (Close to 800, usually more considering I go to their homes.)

--Trust me I enjoyed the heck out of the Tech game and watching SMU getting pummeled... Had I gone to LSU game, It would have been about 2000 miles round trip. How many of those have you made?????

Re: SMU fans --there may have been a 50 (maybe) in the section most sat... They had nothing to cheer about until the final minute (they scored finally) so it was difficult to tell. (50 in 55,000 are sort of hard to hear even if they cheered more than once..!!)

You sound like a typical smu xxxx. Obviously you don't (can't) think much.... A North Texas grad can actually get jobs out of Dallas unlike SMU grads who depend on their SMU buddies in the neighborhood. This may a diificult concept for you... but some of us have gone to more than one university and actually have multiple degrees.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

You sound like a typical smu xxxx. Obviously you don't (can't) think much.... A North Texas grad can actually get jobs out of Dallas unlike SMU grads who depend on their SMU buddies in the neighborhood.

Typically people get jobs because they earn it and have a brain on how to get one. This is not about a typical SMU this or that.