One Positive Thing We Have Learned...

El Paso Eagle

The search for a HC could be solved on this board. I realize everyone is entitled to their own opinion but this is almost laughable. It's one thing to second guess coaching, hell it's what we all do, but it's amazing to see how many on this board really think they know more than Dodge and the coaching staff. So go ahead and blast away, but come on folks please keep a little perspective.

Ah, yes, the old tried and true "If You Realize We Suck, You Must Be Smarter Than The Coach" thread. Tired.

No, what many of us realize is that we suck. What many of us see is that schools smaller than us are surpassing us, with younger programs have surpassed us, who have started programs from scratch have surpassed us.

How many examples are there? MTSU almost beats Virginia in Rick Stockstill's second year, then skins Ralph Freidgen's Maryland Terps in his third year. Howard Schnellenberger starts a program from scratch at FAU, has a Big Ten team come to town and skins them last year.

I watched the replay of South Florida at Central Florida last night (early this morning on ESPN2) and saw 40,000+ fans jammed into UCF's new stadium watching them compete with South Florida. This is a program that's had a school for less than three decades and has only been I-A or FBS for about 10. They've had a former NFL QB (Mike Kruczek) and a successful I-A coach (George O'Leary) lead them to where they are.

South Florida? They've only had a football program since 1997. They've only been I-A/FBS since 2001...and they're already in a BCS conference and in successive years of being a Top 25 team! They hired the guy who was co-defensive coordinator with Bob Stoops at KSU. They didn't look little time or gamble when they were starting their program from scratch 11 years ago!

And, so if we realize that we suck, and say we suck and admit it, we're being smarter than the head coach?

Troy has only been I-A/FBS since 2002, and they've skinned to Big 12 teams in that time period. They don't lay eggs like we continually do even when they get beat out of conference.

Come on, man. Give us a break. It's so easy to see that it can be done, but we're just not doing it. The people in charge aren't doing it. They don't know how to do it.

And, don't question me or some other people here. The day I enrolled at UNT and set foot on campus, Corky Nelson was still the head football coach. I've seen alot of North Texas football. And, I don't have to be a coach to tell you that this thing, on and off the field, ain't flying.

I don't have to know X's and O's to realize that Tulsa, a school that was considering scrapping it's program just six years ago, was pummulling us 42-7 in the first half at our stadium in our home opener when we should be the most healthy, most pumped up, and most ready to go!

If you want to continue to drink the kool-aid, fine. But, there are many of us who have been on board the ship, through good and bad (mostly bad) for two or three decades or more, and we have every reason and right to question what's going on when we see the FAUs, Troys, USFs, UCF, amd MTSUs being able to pass us by - on and off the field, in personnel, in facilities - the whole enchilada!

We've given time and money and seen the whole thing fall behind smaller, younger programs. We have the right to question what's going on from bottom to top. If they've going to ask for more time and money and support for this garbage, they better be thick-skinned enough to hear, and face, the truth.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Ah, yes, the old tried and true "If You Realize We Suck, You Must Be Smarter Than The Coach" thread. Tired.

No, what many of us realize is that we suck. What many of us see is that schools smaller than us are surpassing us, with younger programs have surpassed us, who have started programs from scratch have surpassed us.

How many examples are there? MTSU almost beats Virginia in Rick Stockstill's second year, then skins Ralph Freidgen's Maryland Terps in his third year. Howard Schnellenberger starts a program from scratch at FAU, has a Big Ten team come to town and skins them last year.

I watched the replay of South Florida at Central Florida last night (early this morning on ESPN2) and saw 40,000+ fans jammed into UCF's new stadium watching them compete with South Florida. This is a program that's had a school for less than three decades and has only been I-A or FBS for about 10. They've had a former NFL QB (Mike Kruczek) and a successful I-A coach (George O'Leary) lead them to where they are.

South Florida? They've only had a football program since 1997. They've only been I-A/FBS since 2001...and they're already in a BCS conference and in successive years of being a Top 25 team! They hired the guy who was co-defensive coordinator with Bob Stoops at KSU. They didn't look little time or gamble when they were starting their program from scratch 11 years ago!

And, so if we realize that we suck, and say we suck and admit it, we're being smarter than the head coach?

Troy has only been I-A/FBS since 2002, and they've skinned to Big 12 teams in that time period. They don't lay eggs like we continually do even when they get beat out of conference.

Come on, man. Give us a break. It's so easy to see that it can be done, but we're just not doing it. The people in charge aren't doing it. They don't know how to do it.

And, don't question me or some other people here. The day I enrolled at UNT and set foot on campus, Corky Nelson was still the head football coach. I've seen alot of North Texas football. And, I don't have to be a coach to tell you that this thing, on and off the field, ain't flying.

I don't have to know X's and O's to realize that Tulsa, a school that was considering scrapping it's program just six years ago, was pummulling us 42-7 in the first half at our stadium in our home opener when we should be the most healthy, most pumped up, and most ready to go!

If you want to continue to drink the kool-aid, fine. But, there are many of us who have been on board the ship, through good and bad (mostly bad) for two or three decades or more, and we have every reason and right to question what's going on when we see the FAUs, Troys, USFs, UCF, amd MTSUs being able to pass us by - on and off the field, in personnel, in facilities - the whole enchilada!

We've given time and money and seen the whole thing fall behind smaller, younger programs. We have the right to question what's going on from bottom to top. If they've going to ask for more time and money and support for this garbage, they better be thick-skinned enough to hear, and face, the truth.

Well, I've been around send Corkie Nelson as well, but what does that have to do with anything? What does the fact that you give money have to do with anything? It doesn't give you ownership of the program. Didn't you give your money to help in the development of young men? Isn't Dodge doing that? Are these men learning to deal with adversity and preparing to win...on the field and in life. Seems like that would be good enough for ya. If we win, it should be icing on the cake, not what they OWE YOU. Fans like you are what give college football a bad name. Money given doesn't give people the legitimate right to ask questions about things they know nothing about. If that is the reason you give, don't give.

Well, I've been around send Corkie Nelson as well, but what does that have to do with anything? What does the fact that you give money have to do with anything? It doesn't give you ownership of the program. Didn't you give your money to help in the development of young men? Isn't Dodge doing that? Are these men learning to deal with adversity and preparing to win...on the field and in life. Seems like that would be good enough for ya. If we win, it should be icing on the cake, not what they OWE YOU. Fans like you are what give college football a bad name. Money given doesn't give people the legitimate right to ask questions about things they know nothing about. If that is the reason you give, don't give.

the game wouldn't exist without the fans. I think any sports club OWES the fans. Dodge or any coach wouldn't get paid if it wasn't for fans.

the game wouldn't exist without the fans. I think any sports club OWES the fans. Dodge or any coach wouldn't get paid if it wasn't for fans.

The freakn go and jump on the Cowboy bandwagon, if that is all it is about, not a college team. What does Dodge owe us? He doesn't owe me anything except to do his best to prepare this team to compete and win. He owes us the respect he show his players and he delivers every time. If I were a coach, I wouldn't touch UNT with a ten-foot pole...not because the school is not first class but because of the kind of fans that have evolved at UNT. Our fans are the most self-esteem challenged fans I have ever seen...with SMU fans a close second. We finally have THE COACH who can take us to the promised land, and what happens? Many want to jump ship before it has even got out of the harbor. Many of us need to step away from the Sports Page and ESPN for a little while and get a grip on things.

The freakn go and jump on the Cowboy bandwagon, if that is all it is about, not a college team. What does Dodge owe us? He doesn't owe me anything except to do his best to prepare this team to compete and win. He owes us the respect he show his players and he delivers every time. If I were a coach, I wouldn't touch UNT with a ten-foot pole...not because the school is not first class but because of the kind of fans that have evolved at UNT. Our fans are the most self-esteem challenged fans I have ever seen...with SMU fans a close second. We finally have THE COACH who can take us to the promised land, and what happens? Many want to jump ship before it has even got out of the harbor. Many of us need to step away from the Sports Page and ESPN for a little while and get a grip on things.

Again, the game wouldn't exist without the fans. The players wouldn't have full rides with out those who support the damn place. They do owe what they do to everyone involved. The players, coaches, athletic officials. EVERYONE! And this goes for college, pro, high school... if there wasn't interest in the damn thing then it wouldn't exist. If they lose that perspective then they take things for granted and that is just sorry...

And the only schools that you have "good" fans are the schools that are winning. It is easy to have the fans that you are talking about when things go their way. The fans at UNT are no different than any other group.

Edited by Travis

Really, grad88? Just give, give, give...and when there are no results, don't complain but give more.

Preposterous.

The people who have given years of time, money and support at smaller and younger programs are getting rewarded. What are we getting? Stomped into the ground, at home, in the home opener, by a "mid-major."

By a mid-major who almost cancelled its football program six years ago...until they got a new president who, in turn, hired a new athletic director, who then hired a real football coach out of the NFL. And, the whole thing began to roll forward.

And in the six years hence, their stadium has been upgraded immensely and the team is bowl-worthy every year.

Give, give, give, but keep quiet. Absurd.

The people in charge at UNT need to get off their duffs and do the things necessary to take this program forward and up. Words mean nothing. Action, buddy. Action. This isn't the Soviet Union where they sat around and pretended people were happy as the whole thing slid into the crapper.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Again, the game wouldn't exist without the fans. The players wouldn't have full rides with out those who support the damn place. They do owe what they do to everyone involved. The players, coaches, athletic officials. EVERYONE! And this goes for college, pro, high school... if there wasn't interest in the damn thing then it wouldn't exist. If they lose that perspective then they take things for granted and that is just sorry...

And the only schools that you have "good" fans are the schools that are winning. It is easy to have the fans that you are talking about when things go their way. The fans at UNT are no different than any other group.

And, the UNT program wouldn't exist without coaches who are willing to endure the most up and down, fair-weather fans I have ever seen. No one likes to lose, but if you can't see that progress is being made and that we are taking steps out of the waistlands of college football, then I can't help you. Wins come only after the team works through some adversity and stays together. It happened with Corky Nelson. It happened with Dickey. It will certainly happen with Dodge! Give it time.

No one likes to lose, but if you can't see that progress is being made and that we are taking steps out of the waistlands of college football, then I can't help you.

Is throwing more times a game than the DD years progress to you? It's only week 2, but so far it's the only difference I see.

I know I do not know X's and O's like maybe Todd Dodge does but you know what....I sure as hell know when I see good football versus bad football. And this is GOD AWFUL football.

Do you know what the difference is in what you call God Aweful football and what suddenly would be to everyone "amazing football" and a genius coach? Just a few more almost plays to go our way. There were plenty of dropped balls out there that were VERY close to going our way. When they do, suddenly Dodge will become a genius and this team will be the best improvement everybody ever saw and everyone will jump on the bandwagon.

What some people don't understand is how a play here or there makes the difference in the whole game. A caught pass instead of a dropped pass means a first down or a touch down...which means that the defense gets more rest...which means the defense has the rest needed to stop the other team from scoring...which means our offense gets out on the field again. It all feeds in to itself. That is the way football works...or falls apart when things aren't going right.

We need to all understand how close we are to being a very good team. If you couldn't see that in the plays, then you don't know much about football and need to just be patient. The thing we need to understand is this: The plays to stay in the game and possibly win were there, we just didn't finish those plays. When we do, suddenly we will have a much different result. The mistakes we saw out there were just youth.

I would be much more upset and down if I didn't see the play development on the field. Then I would know that we just don't have the athletes to be in the right place at the right time. We have got athletes, they are just YOUNG athletes who have faced some very tough nonconference competition before they have gotten their football legs. When it all comes together, it is going to be very good. Now if it does not start coming together by the end of this season, we have got a problem. I don't think that will be the case. Now, next year, if we can add to what we have this year, we are going to blow some people out of the water.

I never thought watching the game last night that if there was a play here or there then would be in or would have been in the ball game.

This is the critical distinction.

There were a few moments early where I thought that a play here or there would have allowed us to potentially KEEP PACE with Tulsa... But looking back with the knowledge of how thoroughly they dominated us on both sides of the ball from start to finish, there is no point at which I feel that a play here or there would have affected the ultimate outcome.

The fumbled kick, the Charlie Brown forced fumble that wasn't... Those sorts of plays might have kept things closer longer, but I don't think they would have changed the outcome.

If our defensive backs don't turn around and look for the ball when their man

is almost out of bounds or out of the end zone, then they better grow eyes in

the backs of their heads. The D back coach better get this simple principle relayed

to his players or oh wait we on the board no nothing about football!!!!

THE COACH??? THE COACH???

Can you PLEASE elaborate on that statement?!? If this were Denton Ryan, or Argyle HS, or Sanger, etc. this might be your guy. This is a DIV IA (FBS) UNIVERSITY.

Yes, please elaborate!!!

This board is no where near as bad and as hard on this team as the bigger programs. In fact, the last year of Houston Nutt's coaching career at Arkansas was 50 time worse than this, and you found that on all 6 boards.

This board is no where near as bad and as hard on this team as the bigger programs. In fact, the last year of Houston Nutt's coaching career at Arkansas was 50 time worse than this, and you found that on all 6 boards.

True - but to be fair, Dodge coaches for free and out of the goodness of his heart. Ya'll just don't appreciate the sacrifice enough.

Do you know what the difference is in what you call God Aweful football and what suddenly would be to everyone "amazing football" and a genius coach? Just a few more almost plays to go our way. There were plenty of dropped balls out there that were VERY close to going our way. When they do, suddenly Dodge will become a genius and this team will be the best improvement everybody ever saw and everyone will jump on the bandwagon.

If you honestly believe we were a few plays from winning...or being competitive...then none of us need to prove our football credentials to you. Because you're clueless.

Wait...come to think of it...if just 8 plays had gone differently (the ones on which they scored touchdowns) then we win 26-0. Mmmmmm....this kool-aid is good.

This is the critical distinction.

There were a few moments early where I thought that a play here or there would have allowed us to potentially KEEP PACE with Tulsa... But looking back with the knowledge of how thoroughly they dominated us on both sides of the ball from start to finish, there is no point at which I feel that a play here or there would have affected the ultimate outcome.

The fumbled kick, the Charlie Brown forced fumble that wasn't... Those sorts of plays might have kept things closer longer, but I don't think they would have changed the outcome.

Those ( the fumble recovery and the fumbled kick off return) would have helped the cause but so would have the drops that were two sure touchdowns. It would have made the game way more competitive.

If you honestly believe we were a few plays from winning...or being competitive...then none of us need to prove our football credentials to you. Because you're clueless.

Wait...come to think of it...if just 8 plays had gone differently (the ones on which they scored touchdowns) then we win 26-0. Mmmmmm....this kool-aid is good.

LOL!!!!!!