Will Riley Redshirt This Season

Harry

Agree that he won't redshirt...but he will be redshirted. He is a competitor and will have to be kept on the sideline by the coaches. It is in his and our best interest that he be redshirted. This affords him time to bulk up a little, heal fully, and adjust to college life. He can be the backup next year and get some PT. He will have his seasons in the sun!

I don't think he is going to redshirt.

Obviously, you have not seen Riley Dodge at the collegiate level. He is definitely a talent but just not what Vizza brings to the table. Vizza brings size, toughness, better arm, and the moxy few have seen at UNT for someone this young. The players love his style, attitude, and his abilities.

Go watch a practice and tell me that Riley is in Vizza's league.

It's a shame Vizza took such a beating last season but now it has become an asset. No way Riley could have taken the physical abuse that Meager and Vizza took last year and will probably take again this season. Vizza's best seasons will be the following two years. The team is still young and not where it needs to be for him to be totally efffective. Teams line up KNOWING we have to throw every down, that makes it extremely tough to execute. Tech can do it because they have the speed in all skill WR positions and have tremendous offensive line play. Harrell rarely gets touched. But even then, Tech runs the ball well enough to cause teams some problems.

Riley will get his day. He will gain 20 lbs. and will challenge #15 next season and give him all he wants. At the same time, you have a tremendous competitor playing QB now who isn't going to lay down for any QB much less Riley Dodge. I'm sure Vizza takes this sh*t personal and will go out swinging. It just seems to be his nature to lay it all on the field. Can't ask for more than that.

Edited by nautique

I dont think TDodge will come out before the season and say that he is Redshirting Riley. I fully expect TDodge to announce Vizza the starter (already happend), Meager the "backup", and Rilley the third string QB. Barring any major injuries to Vizza and I bielive this is how it will play out all season and in the end Riley will by default of no playing time Redshirt. Now if Vizza gets injured to the point that he will have to miss a game or two then you could definatly see Riley get some snaps. I think alot will have to do with the seriousnus of Vizza's injury, how the team is playing and what they are playing for, and the timing of when it happens.

If Todd wants to build this program into a winner and keep winning for years to come, then Riley should be red-shirted this season. There is no reason to have a an under-sized Riley having to deal with a shaky offensive line. Gio is a more physical QB, and at this point in his career a better QB. You have a stable of backups in Meager, Tune, and Phillips that could hold the rope for a game or two if Vizza gets banged up (which could very well happen with this line). I am as intrigued with Riley as much as anyone, but you do have to consider the long-term success for the program. I think Todd does.

Edited by Green Guy Bass

I agree...but Vet, geez, have you been driving 88mph or what? Sounds like you're all up in Vizza's guaranteed season-ending injury. Kind of eerie, methinks. *Shakes magic Vet* "Will I be rich and famous?"

Agree with the comment that anyone who has been to practice or a scrimmage would see that it's pretty clear that the college game is still moving very quickly for Riley and has yet to slow down. There's no question that he is a great nack for the position, for this offense, and has great potential; but until the game begins to slow down for him I don't think we will see him in action this year.

Vizza looks even better than last year, and continues to improve. IMO, Tune should be the backup, and Meager #3. Meager still to this day does all of that running around backwards and throws the ball onto the track on what seems like every 3rd snap and it's painful to watch as we've seen him do that time and time again over the years. But, in defense of Meager, he did rip off a 600+ yard game last year and that, plus his experience of being a Senior could lead the offensive coaching staff to put him in the #2 slot.

I hate to have a bunch of talented quaterbacks on the bench. I'd like to see Riley redshirt this year, and understudy for Vizza his RS frosh and soph years. Then, have Riley take over his Jr. and Sr. year and win the National Championship.

Joe's attitude is a huge part of how successful he was. Talent only gets you so far...what does it take to instill that kind of positivity in our players? I'm hoping the answer to that is the Dodges...