Here We Go Again, Jarboe To Troy

Cr1028

Troy is a junior college playing Div 1A sports. Unfortunately for us, they play said sports in our conference. Though clearly a mental midget, this guy is a hell of a talent

Care to back that up with facts or should I just accept it as fact?

BTW, looks like LB gave this decision a lot of thought....

http://www.gulfeast.com/index.php/troy_blog/P0/

Yet more information on Jarboe

August 13, 2008

Drew Champlin

Just talked with head coach Larry Blakeney about the Josh Jarboe situation. The No.1 question right now is “is he eligible this year?”

From what Blakeney understands, he should be. He took two classes this summer at Oklahoma, got two B’s, made all his workouts, etc. OU has released him from his scholarship. He has to be denied admission to OU for him to be eligible this fall and that decision should come today, if he hasn’t been denied already. So, it sounds like Troy coaches are gearing up for him to play.

There’s the acclimation period where new players have to go through. Jarboe started practice yesterday (Tuesday) with the team. He’ll go through today in shorts, Thursday and Friday in shells, and full pads Saturday if that schedule’s right. Though, Thursday is a scrimmage so he wouldn’t play in that but I guess it would count as a practice.

Jarboe is friends with freshman wideout Chip Reeves, who played at Stone Mountain. “Chip spoke well of him as a competitor and as a player,” Blakeney said.

“Eligible or not, he’ll be with us,” Blakeney said. “We interviewed him extensively, we talked to his family, his mentor, to Ray Bonner (high school coach), and we talked to Oklahoma coaches about him. I don’t think this kid is a bad kid.”

“The rap deal happened in his dorm room. One of the offensive linemen taped it and (Jarboe) went home for the break (after summer, before fall). (OU coach Bob) Stoops called him and he told him everything. It turns out, the lineman had uploaded the tape on youtube. (Jarboe) wasn’t trying to get the tape out there. He was a victim of his own circumstances.”

Blakeney said they wouldn’t rush him on the field.

“We’ll see how fast he can move mentally in this system,” Blakeney said. “It’s not a hard system for the kids to learn because they enjoy playing in it. I don’t know if he’ll be ready for Middle Tennessee or the second game or the third game. We’ll let him move at his own pace.”

I don't know anything about this player, but considering how highly rated Jarboe was out of high school, this could be a Randy Moss situation. Moss went from Florida State to Marshall and dominated (168 receptions for 3,467 yards and 53 touchdowns in two seasons). Marshall was I-AA at the time, so this is not so dramatic a drop in level of competition. But still, a potentially monster pick-up for Troy.

Care to back that up with facts or should I just accept it as fact?

Let's go with the latter. Though your ability to form coherent sentences does make you a credit to your alleged university. Tell me you have a full set of teeth and I'll have to completely reconsider my former position.

Of course, its just a joke. And you're on a UNT board... so laugh.

Anyways, seems like your team is always picking up talented athletes with IQ scores just slightly above vegetative levels. But to be fair, it has worked quite well. And this is a terrific pick up for your team and the SBC, talent-wise.

My understanding of this guy was that OU honored their committment to him as long as he honored what they ask of him. When he didn't they released him - do you really want a guy on your team that won't do what the coaches ask of him? He maybe great talent, but if he can't stay clear of trouble, he becomes a huge problem.

I'm not a fan of rap.

But I watched the video and this guy touched all the bases as far as foul language is concerned.

The background didn't look like a dorm room to me. It had logos from Oklahoma State and Texas Tech. Others as well made it look like a sports bar. Or maybe a sports church.

Anyway, if he was enrolled at OU this summer, doesn't he have to sit out a year before being able to play for another Division 1-A team ?

A very expensive rap video.

Let's go with the latter. Though your ability to form coherent sentences does make you a credit to your alleged university. Tell me you have a full set of teeth and I'll have to completely reconsider my former position.

Of course, its just a joke. And you're on a UNT board... so laugh.

Anyways, seems like your team is always picking up talented athletes with IQ scores just slightly above vegetative levels. But to be fair, it has worked quite well. And this is a terrific pick up for your team and the SBC, talent-wise.

That never gets old.....couldn't you have come up with something more original? :lol:

Regardless...how many guys goof off and do the same thing (basically try to emulate hard-core rap when hanging with their friends)? I've seen everyone from preppy white frat boys to guys who actually did grow up in the ghetto do it plenty of times...regardless of the language used, it's not like he ran around campus doing it or physically did something. If it's true that a teammate posted it, I'd hope that Stoops would have a talk with him about publicly endangering teammates' careers, reputations, etc. Again, if he was just doing this around friends and not out around "the public", it seems reasonable to believe that he thought he was safe and among friends...isn't that when most kids (and people in general) feel safe doing something stupid? When they figure no one else will see?

Good for Troy, good for the Sun Belt, and ultimately, good for North Texas.

I would hate to see our methods for ascention centered on other Belt teams not improving. We need every Belt team (including us) to keep improving to improve the image of the conference and insure that we have teams eligible for every bowl slot that may become available.

Again...I never understand when people say things like this.

I want anything that is possible done to raise the level of competition and the level of prestige for the Sun Belt.

I want every other team in the Belt to be as good as it possibly can be, and I still want North Texas to dominate them.

absolutely! the wac is perceived as better because Boise, Hawaii and Fresno have knocked off some big boys. If this guy helps troy win some big games, enter the top 25 and land a good bowl game - we all win. see la tech and nmsu riding that train!

GMG

I have to agree with Adler on this philosophy. A stronger Sun Belt should eventually help recruiting across the board for the conference.

But, if we fail to keep pace with Troy and the others in the next few years, any opportunities for better conference affilications will be completely lost.

I have faith that TD will get things done. But, losing 3-star recruits to acedemic problems is certainly not helping :(

My only problem with this whole thing is that talented athletes just keep getting "special" treatment after "special" treatment. This kid has now learned that he does not have to follow the rules (which, of course, he never actually felt he had to in the first place-even at OU) and he will still be treated as if he is something special. Everyone knew he would be picked up by some college/university. Just happens to be Troy in the Sunbelt. I am OK with Adler's line of thought. What's good for the 'Belt is ultimately good for UNT. Until, of course, UNT can "earn its way" out of this "who cares" conference.

Talk about discrimination, athletes, rock stars, movie stars and politicians never seem to have to follow the rules. It's just us folks out here who seem to keep buying the tickets, voting and paying for all these spoiled brats.

Troy is a junior college playing Div 1A sports. Unfortunately for us, they play said sports in our conference. Though clearly a mental midget, this guy is a hell of a talent

--- Really.... 1855 sounds about right for your attitude. I just heard on ESPN from some guys who were very impressed with DeMarcus Ware as one of the best in the NFL... He is from that "junior college" you mentioned.

--- We don't need to be putting down our conference or conference-mates by our own members... we get enough of that from the outsiders.. Besides that makes us look like we can't even beat a "junior college" ... remember they have taken us out the past two years.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

With Demarcus Ware, Troy still lost to North Texas 21-0.

Demarcus Ware...

As a junior, started every game at left defensive end and logged 62 tackles, a career-high 32 pressures, 16 tackles for a loss, six sacks and a career-high five forced fumbles to earn first-team All-Independent honors from ESPN and College Football News.

Bring Jarboe on. The Mean Green will know what to do.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick