How Much Did Mendoza Hurt Us?

emmitt01

I can't help but wonder, especially with the guys who have signed with SMU and TCU and the fact that at least 3 SBC teams have early commits while we have none, how much Ron Mendoza's defense...and the losses that were the result...has hurt us. Just how much will the loyalty to a guy who was clearly in over his head hurt us? Thoughts?

We probably won't have a great recruiting season this year due to several factors that includes our terrible season last year, but also because we don't have nearly as many ships. No doubt that had we had any semblance of a defense under Mendoza, we would have gone at least 6-6; nonetheless Dodge brought in Mendoza and bears the ultimate responsibility for his performance. Dodge severely misevaluated Mendoza's ability to coach at the D1 level.

We probably won't have a great recruiting season this year due to several factors that includes our terrible season last year, but also because we don't have nearly as many ships. No doubt that had we had any semblance of a defense under Mendoza, we would have gone at least 6-6; nonetheless Dodge brought in Mendoza and bears the ultimate responsibility for his performance. Dodge severely misevaluated Mendoza's ability to coach at the D1 level.

I don't think Mendoza hurt us at all, if not for his lack of ability we would not have Deloach back. Most if not all recruits knew we were rebuilding last year and they know Mendoza is long gone by now. If there is anything to be negative about. I guarantee you it is the severe NCAA penalties we received because we appear (wrongfully I might add) that we can't keep football players in school. Parents don't like NCAA violations that appear to deal with a poor education system for football players, what at negative connotation that gives.

But other then losing the 5 scholarships, I still think Dodge is up to the challenge.

If not we better start the season with a win against Kansas State, that should get the ball rolling.

I don't think Mendoza hurt us at all, if not for his lack of ability we would not have Deloach back. Most if not all recruits knew we were rebuilding last year and they know Mendoza is long gone by now. If there is anything to be negative about. I guarantee you it is the severe NCAA penalties we received because we appear (wrongfully I might add) that we can't keep football players in school. Parents don't like NCAA violations that appear to deal with a poor education system for football players, what at negative connotation that gives.

But other then losing the 5 scholarships, I still think Dodge is up to the challenge.

If not we better start the season with a win against Kansas State, that should get the ball rolling.

I agree the academic black-eye with loss of 5 ships greatly hurt our image to parents. That, along with last season's 2-10 record plus continued lack of a stadium commitment affects the whole football program image.

It's way too early to schedule a group cry :cry:

Don't me wrong. I'm not saying the recruiting season is over. Not by a long shot. Only that I do not expect to have as good of one as last season.

Just what I thought when I first saw the title of this thread.

Just wondering way some assume that TD will have such a down year recruiting this year? TD's late season recruiting was as good or better than his early commits. This was after a dismal season on the field and the off field controversy. The lack of scholarships probably will make NT a little more selective plus NT has a lot less immediate needs. I agree with those that think that TD's recruiting effectiveness will be substantially down if rapid improvement in the team does not occur, but I don't think that has happened. I think TD could have a slew of good wr and db recruits by now, but that clearly is not a need.

As far as Mendoza, he was clearly not qualified; but TD picked the coaching staff. He chose to go with the most inexperienced staff in major college football. It's not like Mendoza was an unknown hired by TD. Unfortunately, TD paid the price in his first season, but hopefully next year will be a vast improvement. If significant on-field improvement occurs, TD's recruiting should even be better.

The 2-10 season was crap, but could have been 6-6, or even 7-5 easily.

Just making couple of plays here and there could have changed the season.

Remember Coach Dodge only had a few weeks to install DodgeBall, as well as

changing the defensive operations, and personell changes. Even with all the

returning defensive players, something just did not gel defensively.

So did Mendoza's defense hurt the team? I would have to say yes.

(I do not want to bash DD, but, I do see the NT problems were already in

place when Coach Dodge took over, and building NT back will take time.)

Coach Dodge could see the defense was not working, and Coach Dodge

had to make a change. I am very happy that Coach Dodge was able to

bring back Gary DeLoach as DC. Will Deloach be able to turn around the

defense? Yes, Deloach certainly will improve the defense, although I do not

expect miracles for the 2008 season. DeLoach will need several more

defensive stars to put the Mean back into the Green! This is where the

recruiting factor is again, the primary focus. The last 2 classes are great

classes, so these players will need to step up quickly. I do not worry about

who the other schools gain commitents from right now. There are many many

good football players out there that will come to North Texas regardless of the

past record. 2007 was WR's and a great QB. 2008 was DB's, OL and another

great QB. 2008 looks like DL,DE and OL will be the focus, so more pieces of the

rebuilding job will be added. Just do not panic over losing early recruits.

Coach Dodge and his staff will recruit the kids the team needs.

Edited by charlie nt73

The defense was god awful but 2-10 is still 2-10. Sure we could have gone 6-6 but to me its coulda shoulda woulda but didnt. I think the Dodge momentum pretty much ended after last season and now its the real work....maintaining good recruits and maintaining at the very least a decent to winnable product on the field. I agree Mendoza was pretty bad but I cant say he's the only one to blame for the 2-10 season.

In the short term... a tiny bit. I think the acedemic hit we took is far worse in the short term then the Mendoza thing...

...in the long term - both will be little more than blips on the radar screen. Footnotes in UNT History.

Mendoza is the worste coach I have come in contact with since junior high. Besides being terrible a defensive scheme and game management, he had the defensive IQ of a young highschool coach. I can forgive him for that. What i cant forgive is coupled with his ineptitudes, he was the most unproffesional, egotistical and stubbornly stupid man i have ever met. He took a defense that under coach Bliel held there opponents to less points than the last season we went to the new orleans bowl with 9 returning starters. The Bliel defense held thier opponents to those low point totals with the worst offense in the NCAA. Mendoza was like a slower highschool version of Flannigan. He wasnt going to let anyone tell him his system sucked or even let poeple politely suggest minor changes. He alienated the other coaches on the d staff and made corners coach essentially quit after 3 games. Terrible coach and terrible person.

Look forward folks...look forward! What is in the past is in the past...that is stating the obvious. But, no one can change the past. The better thought might be just how much better UNT will be THIS season and how that will help our recruiting in the future. I think Dodge and Co. will still have a good class...it is way to early for that "group cry" as was said so well earlier in this thread. I can't believe how negative some folks are...I guess it is just the "off-season" and folks are looking for something to blog about. Who knows...The Mean Green nation is in for a lot better time this season when it comes to wins and losses and in the overall "quality" of play on the field. Dodge Ball is one year more "experienced" and that is a good thing!

GO MEAN GREEN! BUY SEASON TICKETS...Buy them NOW! That is what we can all do to help build a new stadium!

Mendoza is the worste coach I have come in contact with since junior high. Besides being terrible a defensive scheme and game management, he had the defensive IQ of a young highschool coach. I can forgive him for that. What i cant forgive is coupled with his ineptitudes, he was the most unproffesional, egotistical and stubbornly stupid man i have ever met. He took a defense that under coach Bliel held there opponents to less points than the last season we went to the new orleans bowl with 9 returning starters. The Bliel defense held thier opponents to those low point totals with the worst offense in the NCAA. Mendoza was like a slower highschool version of Flannigan. He wasnt going to let anyone tell him his system sucked or even let poeple politely suggest minor changes. He alienated the other coaches on the d staff and made corners coach essentially quit after 3 games. Terrible coach and terrible person.

In your opinion, were there any redeeming qualities that might have led Coach Dodge to hire him in the first place? Also, did position coaches tune him out or did they just grit their teeth and fight through it? Do you know if there was any "players only" meetings that said "hey, let's just do this thing on our own?"

In your opinion, were there any redeeming qualities that might have led Coach Dodge to hire him in the first place? Also, did position coaches tune him out or did they just grit their teeth and fight through it? Do you know if there was any "players only" meetings that said "hey, let's just do this thing on our own?"

If there were redeeming qualities he didn't show them exept being his friend. Dodge didn't want to fire him, after the season he said he would keep him, pressure from higher ups ended that notion. Some d coaches fought through it but ultimately he is the boss and you do what he says or you get alienated like Lacroix. Yes the players had meetings but you have to play the scheme no matter how retarded. I dont know if Deloach will have the right players early on but he is a much better coach with a much better scheme.