The Next Real Mean Green Mobile

GreenAlums

I can't begin to tell you how much fun I had at the Spring game on Saturday but I will tell you one thing that really stood out to me. Parked right next to the ShopMeanGreen.com merchandising tent was a fantastically restored 1970 VW Bug perfectly painted in the new color Mean Green and white. I spoke to owner and found out later from FFR who it was. I will assume that FFR is correct and this belongs to Chad, or John Denver as you may better know him from this board. Folks if you didn't get to see this beautiful car you missed something. The school pride and dedication it takes to put that kind of time in money in to a personal car is something we should all hope to achieve. We need more school spirit and dedication like this!!

Thanks for sharing the car with us JD!! My hat is off to you my UNT friend!! :clapping: Can you add a picture of the car to this thread??

I say let's replace the Model A!!!

Dude, some talons kid might start a slap fight with you for saying that.

I am a Talon Alum. I maintained the Model A for 2 years all by myself. It was practically my daily driver for two summers while I fiddled with about every bolt and screw on the thing. I love the Model A, but,....It's the wrong color and could do so much more if updated. Heck, you can't even depend on it starting and making it across campus is what I am told. My comment to replace the Model A was a light hearted comment meant to appreciate the VW, not slam the Model A.

Edited by GreenExes

Guest JohnDenver

Thanks for the compliment.. :)

Let me tell the long story in a short way.

While in high school, my mother encouraged me to get an old car to work on, she thought it would help this city kid learn to some mechanical skills.

After searching the newspaper for old cars that I could afford 1994'ish, only rusted out bugs rose to the surface. I called about an ad in Pilot Point for a bug that was $500.. I had NO idea where Pilot Point was, but it was in the Dallas Morning News, so it had to somewhere local. I had my mother drive me out there (3 hours later), I discovered the ugliest piece of rusted metal that was sitting in a pasture.. no WAY would it run. No way was it worth $500. So I offered $300, they said no, but I left my phone number and told them to call me when they changed their minds.

After a long drive back to Carrollton, they bug owners had called and left a message saying they accept my offer AND would tow it to me if I am interested. By the end of the day, I was the proud owner of a P.O.S.

I fixed it up and starting driving it my senior year. New engine, stripped out interior, rust holes in the floorboard, etc. My mother got me a paint job for my graduation gift.. it was Red and White.. It looked great from the outside and ran just fine.. but it was still a clunker.

I drove it all through college, drove it all over the state in the process.. When I graduated, I parked it and bought a real car (I was tired of smelling like exhaust and gas).

Fast forward 7 years. The car was draining my energy.. sitting in my garage... mocking my car integrity.

So I ventured to make it the Mean Green Tailgating Machine and wanted to fix all its ills.

1) New floorboards

2) Disk brakes (now I can actually stop) [ New ball joints, bearings, steering knuckles, tie-rods, etc ]

3) Re-wired electrical

4) interior: Seats, headliner, carpet, glove box, "oh sh!t" handles, dome light, speedometer, etc.

5) Retractable shoulder seat belts (wow, safety).

6) Painted the 8-spoked rims white..

7) And the finale.. new paint and luggage rack.

It took all last summer and fall. I finally got it out to the last game of the year.. when no one was around to appreciate my new ride (plus, tailgating didn't occur in the rain).

Finally it isn't an energy drain and I can enjoy it again.

Here is a picture of it now.

post-666-1208203759_thumb.png

I don't have any pictures of it next to the shopmeangreen.com trailer, but I saw a lot of cameras out and taking pictures. Perhaps someone else has one..

Thanks for the history. I love these strories and they mean so much more when the car was your "college" car too! I have a 1965 Mustang I restored but painted red. Sure wish I would have painted it JohnDenver Green too! (that was not a typo, I know it's JohnDeere green :rolleyes: )

Again, thanks for sharing your car with the MeanGreen Nation!!

Go Mean Green!

While in high school, my mother encouraged me to get an old car to work on, she thought it would help this city kid learn to some mechanical skills.

After searching the newspaper for old cars that I could afford 1994'ish, only rusted out bugs rose to the surface. I called about an ad in Pilot Point for a bug that was $500.. I had NO idea where Pilot Point was, but it was in the Dallas Morning News, so it had to somewhere local. I had my mother drive me out there (3 hours later), I discovered the ugliest piece of rusted metal that was sitting in a pasture.. no WAY would it run. No way was it worth $500. So I offered $300, they said no, but I left my phone number and told them to call me when they changed their minds.

After a long drive back to Carrollton, they bug owners had called and left a message saying they accept my offer AND would tow it to me if I am interested. By the end of the day, I was the proud owner of a P.O.S.

I fixed it up and starting driving it my senior year. New engine, stripped out interior, rust holes in the floorboard, etc. My mother got me a paint job for my graduation gift.. it was Red and White.. It looked great from the outside and ran just fine.. but it was still a clunker.

I drove it all through college, drove it all over the state in the process.. When I graduated, I parked it and bought a real car (I was tired of smelling like exhaust and gas).

Fast forward 7 years. The car was draining my energy.. sitting in my garage... mocking my car integrity.

So I ventured to make it the Mean Green Tailgating Machine and wanted to fix all its ills.

1) New floorboards

2) Disk brakes (now I can actually stop) [ New ball joints, bearings, steering knuckles, tie-rods, etc ]

3) Re-wired electrical

4) interior: Seats, headliner, carpet, glove box, "oh sh!t" handles, dome light, speedometer, etc.

It took all last summer and fall. I finally got it out to the last game of the year.. when no one was around to appreciate my new ride (plus, tailgating didn't occur in the rain).

I don't have any pictures of it next to the shopmeangreen.com trailer, but I saw a lot of cameras out and taking pictures. Perhaps someone else has one..

DUDE....THERE WAS TAILGATING AT THE LAST GAME!!!!!!! well, for about 20 of us!

THE BUG LOOKS AWESOME!!!!! makes me want to get a car and turn it into the tailgating car!

DUDE....THERE WAS TAILGATING AT THE LAST GAME!!!!!!! well, for about 20 of us!

THE BUG LOOKS AWESOME!!!!! makes me want to get a car and turn it into the tailgating car!

Very, very impressive. Anyone can run out and sign on the dotted line for a new, green vehicle, but this one is "CHARACTER" . It shows hard work that all of us can appreciate.

1) New floorboards

3) Re-wired electrical

Props on the VW. Thats one hell of a nice looking bug. I think Adolph would definitely be proud...... I've been restoring my 1980 Camaro for eight years now and after looking at your Bug, I think I've found the perfect color scheme for my lifelong project.

Once again, congratulations on an absolutely beautiful VW. My dad and I had a project bug when I was 12, but we could never get that damn air cooled flat 4 to run just right and eventually gave up on her. It really is an accomplishment to keep one of those running reliably. Way to go!!!

I say let's replace the Model A!!!

Actually we are completely rebuilding it right now. Though no one will notice because it all starts under the hood.

Now as for the VW I saw it cruising down Ft. Worth Dr. and I knew right away from previous threads that is was JohnDenvers, I was just glad I finally got to see it. It looked great.

Guest JohnDenver

May I suggest a Mean Green SOW magnetic emblem for the doors?

I would LOVE to get some original Flying Worm emblem for doors.. just to stick with the 70's theme of the car.

However, I am not opposed to the SOW either.

I would LOVE to get some original Flying Worm emblem for doors.. just to stick with the 70's theme of the car.

However, I am not opposed to the SOW either.

If anyone has a good image of the orginal Flying Worm that I can recreate or better yet one in .eps or .ai format that can be arranged free of charge.

JD, I think the Flying Worm would be great! I think you told me you have a little homework to do before you get the go-ahead to do the magnetic emblem!! :blush: The car does speak for itself but the worm would be a nice addition. I think ShopMeanGreen should design and sell both magnetic emblems (and other designs). I'll never forget when I went to the Arkansas game last year. I saw about every car have one size or another "hog" magnetic emblems posted on them. Looked pretty good! We don't seem to have any of those to display.

I saw the bug on Saturday. It looks awesome. Outstanding work.

Here's my tailgating vehicle (yuck). It was a decent original old man truck until it got sideswiped. Hence the blue door and gray bed.

dsc01050jj7.th.jpg

Not for long though... here's a pic as it sits right now......

1000086vo3.th.jpg

Edited by pollock