Your Favorites For Conference Mates

Guest GrayEagleOne

Guest GrayEagleOne

It's the off-season and conference realignment will no doubt play some part in our future affiliation. Let's asy that we are starting a new 12-team conference without any worry about existing conferences. Rank the eleven teams (from most desired to least desired) that you would want in your conference. You cannot include any of the current BCS auto-bid conference teams. Who would you choose?

Here's mine:

1. SMU

2. TCU

3. Houston

4. Tulsa

5. UTEP

6. Rice

7. Southern Miss

8. Louisiana-Lafayette

9. Louisiana Tech

10. Tulane

11. Mew Mexico State

Arkansas State, Memphis and New Mexico are the only others that I would consider but they get no points in this poll.

It's the off-season and conference realignment will no doubt play some part in our future affiliation. Let's asy that we are starting a new 12-team conference without any worry about existing conferences. Rank the eleven teams (from most desired to least desired) that you would want in your conference. You cannot include any of the current BCS auto-bid conference teams. Who would you choose?

Here's mine:

1. SMU

2. TCU

3. Houston

4. Tulsa

5. UTEP

6. Rice

7. Southern Miss

8. Louisiana-Lafayette

9. Louisiana Tech

10. Tulane

11. Mew Mexico State

Arkansas State, Memphis and New Mexico are the only others that I would consider but they get no points in this poll.

I'd like a conference WITHOUT a bunch of snooty private schools. One maybe, Tulsa, but no more. Here's my choice of a conference, not listed in any order of preference. If we want to play 'um, do it in OC games.

WEST

North Texas

New Mexico State

UTEP

Houston

Louisiana Tech

Tulsa

EAST

Southern Miss

Memphis

Arkansas State

Troy

Middle Tennessee

Louisiana Lafayette

Edited by MeanGreen61

Guest GrayEagleOne

Awarding 11 for #1, 10 for #2, etc. here are the results thus far:

1. SMU 55

2. Houston 47

3. UTEP 46

4. TCU 33

5. New Mexico State 32

6.Tie Rice 28

Middle Tennessee

8.Tie Tulsa 24

Troy

10. Southern Miss 17

11.Tie Louisiana Tech 14

Brigham Young

13.Tie Louisiana-Lafayette 12

Arkansas State

15. Air Force 11

16. Memphis 5

17. Tulane 2

I took them in the order listed even if it was stated in no particular order.

I wonder how many SMU fans would select NT as a preferred conference mate. Not many, my guess. The selection so far, get high marks for a geographically close conference and sticking with lower tier football programs. I would pick the conference based on the long-term potential of the group. My first choice would be UT, OU, LSU, etc. However, assuming the big programs are off the board for now, here is my lineup:

TCU - Much more desirable than SMU and two big time programs are enough for the metro mess

Houston - Probably the school with the most in common with NT.

Memphis - Great Basketball

Tulane - Gives Louisiana presence and a Nawlins game

Southern Miss - Established Southern team

Arkansas State - Geographic fit

ULL - Solidify Louisiana presence, balance out southern teams

Tulsa - Balance out North

NMSU and UTEP, see no need to go that far West

SMU - I would limit area teams to two

Rice - Not a bad choice, but don't see a lot of potential athletic growth

La Tech - Have you ever been to Ruston? Close to NT, but I feel like ULL and Tulane are better La representatives

ULM - Again I see no need for three La schools, although I would pick ULM ove LaTech

UAB, SAU, MTSU - All good candidates, but want to limit conference to 9 teams and limit footprint

Troy - Small school, questionable academics

I wonder how many SMU fans would select NT as a preferred conference mate. Not many, my guess.

Why do so many here want to be in a conference with SMU ? You can bet the vast majority of their folks would laugh, look down their nose and say "no thanks".

Do you really want to be in a conference with them, or just happen to want into the conference they are in ? IMHO a big difference.

Play 'um on OC games, but not great conference mates.

Why do so many here want to be in a conference with SMU ? You can bet the vast majority of their folks would laugh, look down their nose and say "no thanks".

Do you really want to be in a conference with them, or just happen to want into the conference they are in ? IMHO a big difference.

Play 'um on OC games, but not great conference mates.

I think that is just why I want to be pitted against $MUt, (so we can stick their noses where they belong). I actually think you are right in the insinuation they would make a better OOC game. I don't want them in the Big12 when we get there :P

I wonder how many SMU fans would select NT as a preferred conference mate. Not many, my guess.

That's because they are scared to death of us.

http://www.ponyfans.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=301847#301847

http://meangreen.beloblog.com/

Ugh. Why do we have to legitimize UNT by playing them? We need to avoid playing them for a few years until there is no chance of them beating us. To have them even play us close can only hurt our recruiting. We must work to destroy and humiliate them.

Guest GrayEagleOne

New totals through 5:11 2-25-08

1. Houston 86

2. SMU 83

3. UTEP 70

4. TCU 64

5. Rice 54

6. Tulsa 49

7. N M State 41

8. Southern Miss 31

9. Arkansas St 30

10. Middle Tenn 28