State Of The Stadium Project

FirefightnRick

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Villareal says he wakes up every day thinking about how to make the stadium happen...he has about 15 potential big donors that he has not solidified....he hopes to have some committments so he can go public in the near future. He did say that he is bringing back the quarterly Mean Green Club meetings.

Villareal says he wakes up every day thinking about how to make the stadium happen...he has about 15 potential big donors that he has not solidified....he hopes to have some committments so he can go public in the near future. He did say that he is bringing back the quarterly Mean Green Club meetings.

That is great to hear about the donors. RV has been paying lip service to the quarterly meeting for years now, I hope that one day this maybe for real again.

thanks for the info

he has about 15 potential big donors that he has not solidified

That is an awfully ambiguous statement. What does that mean, that he has identified 15 people who have a lot of money? (e.g., Bill Gates, Mark Cuban, Paris Hilton, etc.). Or have they actually expressed that they would definitely be willing to donate if specific criteria were met? (e.g., good design, 10% of cost in hand, sound plan to raise the remaining funds). Obviously, I am exaggerating with the first scenario, but there is a lot of area in the middle that could describe a "potential big donor."

Almost nothing on a chat board more irritating than an "I know something, but do you..." thread...

PLEASE SHARE!

Ok, you asked for it.

This is not a public chat board, but rather a private section of one so I do not consider it to be full of B.S. like one would generally read on the football page.

In a nutshell, we are no closer today to building a stadium than we were two or three years ago. Why do I say that? Because a student fee is "out of the question" as told at the last function, and that the university is instead considering building an indoor practice facility first, before we build a stadium. As of the first week of December '07 we only had $6 Million, or 10 percent pledged of the target $60 Million target for the stadium. We are a long ways off from raising the kind of money needed to bond out the remaining amount($16 to 25 Million?). How long away's? I don't know. Does it mean we won't ever build a stadium? No. So why does this concern me so much? I'll tell you why. Becuase for one thing we have been hearing about this stadium for nearly 10 years now, and some here have heard about stadium talk much longer than that. Two, has Coach Dodge been led down a wrong path? He and his coaches have told recruits on good faith aparantly that it's coming. Hopefully for their character sake, they didn't give a time line so that if/when it never happens they don't turn out to look like bafoons. And three, the pitiful customer service and treatment of alumni and friends by our scholarship fundraising arm of the athletic department. If you can't even follow through with promises and properly treat our own people any better than what I have PERSONALLY witness, then how can I expect that those donors we are hoping to come forward for the stadium will be properly treated? But the second part is what bothers me the most. That it's possible that the stadium issue is being used as a carrot and our coaches are caught up in it? And until something better comes out publicly about if and when it's going to happen, then I can only go on what I'm hearing. And if I'm hearing about a major investment such as a "indoor practice facility", I can only draw to the conclusion that the stadium is nothing more than a pipe dream. I dream that dream every day just like the rest of you. But until I find out more than this, it is what it is.

Rick McKinney

817-999-9335

Edited by FirefightnRick

Ok, you asked for it.

This is not a public chat board, but rather a private section of one so I do not consider it to be full of B.S. like one would generally read on the football page.

In a nutshell, we are no closer today to building a stadium than we were two or three years ago. Why do I say that? Because a student fee is "out of the question" as told at the last function, and that the university is instead considering building an indoor practice facility first, before we build a stadium. As of the first week of December '07 we only had $6 Million, or 10 percent pledged of the target $60 Million target for the stadium. We are a long ways off from raising the kind of money needed to bond out the remaining amount($16 to 25 Million?). How long away's? I don't know. Does it mean we won't ever build a stadium? No. So why does this concern me so much? I'll tell you why. Becuase for one thing we have been hearing about this stadium for nearly 10 years now, and some here have heard about stadium talk much longer than that. Two, has Coach Dodge been led down a wrong path? He and his coaches have told recruits on good faith aparantly that it's coming. Hopefully for their character sake, they didn't give a time line so that if/when it never happens they don't turn out to look like bafoons. And three, the pitiful customer service and treatment of alumni and friends by our scholarship fundraising arm of the athletic department. If you can't even follow through with promises and properly treat our own people any better than what I have PERSONALLY witness, then how can I expect that those donors we are hoping to come forward for the stadium will be properly treated? But the second part is what bothers me the most. That it's possible that the stadium issue is being used as a carrot and our coaches are caught up in it? And until something better comes out publicly about if and when it's going to happen, then I can only go on what I'm hearing. And if I'm hearing about a major investment such as a "indoor practice facility", I can only draw to the conclusion that the stadium is nothing more than a pipe dream. I dream that dream every day just like the rest of you. But until I find out more than this, it is what it is.

Rick McKinney

817-999-9335

See, that wasn't so hard! ha, thanks for the info. This is actually what I like to hear... REALITY. It isn't what I WANT to hear, of course, but I always prefer the truth. You seem to be as reliable a source as anyone on this board, so I'll take you for your word.

This also verifies previous concerns of mine. Lots of lip service, nothing being done. On the flip, as Drex stated, maybe there are a few donors waiting in the wings.. watching, waiting to make their pledges. I don't know.

I also don't understand why the student athletic fee can't be raised to increase the Athletics budget. In 2-3 years, Dodge might havea successful program up and running in Denton. If there is still no stadium and no more money coming in to the program, we won't be able to sustain that success- or keep Dodge. We pay peanuts compared to most other successful mid major programs and much less than most BCS programs.

In other words, I don't think anything can be done to raise the profile of UNT athletics (and therefore UNT) without $$$. Hopefully RV is just playing his hand close to his chest. And hopefully it's more than a pair of 2's...

Edited by Eagle1855

Ok, you asked for it.

Rick McKinney

817-999-9335

disappointing

See, that wasn't so hard! ha, thanks for the info. This is actually what I like to hear... REALITY. It isn't what I WANT to hear, of course, but I always prefer the truth. You seem to be as reliable a source as anyone on this board, so I'll take you for your word.

This also verifies previous concerns of mine. Lots of lip service, nothing being done. On the flip, as Drex stated, maybe there are a few donors waiting in the wings.. watching, waiting to make their pledges. I don't know.

I also don't understand why the student athletic fee can't be raised to increase the Athletics budget. In 2-3 years, Dodge might havea successful program up and running in Denton. If there is still no stadium and no more money coming in to the program, we won't be able to sustain that success- or keep Dodge. We pay peanuts compared to most other successful mid major programs and much less than most BCS programs.

In other words, I don't think anything can be done to raise the profile of UNT athletics (and therefore UNT) without $$$. Hopefully RV is just playing his hand close to his chest. And hopefully it's more than a pair of 2's...

Without a doubt there are donors "waiting in the wings". I have full confidence that they do exist, in fact I have met three of them personally, myself. Two couples and one individual. All three could write a single check for the entire amount, but what part they play is anyone's guess here. As I keep hearing is that they and others like them want to see a leap of faith by the university before they get that involved, and I don't blame anyone for taking that approach. Especially after some of the things I have witnessed the past year or so. As for the fee, it's not ever going to happen as part of a student services fee. It could possibly happen in some other way such as an increase in a athletic's fee like you said. Still nothing exist on that currently. And even if it were you still have to sell it to the BOR and they only meet one more time in the spring as I remember. In the earliest it wouldn't take affect till this August, and the mythical starting date of '09 is just around the corner, no where near the time for that fee to build to the point of "Bonding". No where near the time to start building by '09, or even by '10 or even by 11' by my estimation?

Rick

disappointing

See, I hate to post "dissapointing" news because I don't want any of you to lose faith. But like I said, it is what it is and we have to keep in mind who we are. Things just have to go the slow route for North Texas. In the very least, and I know many don't want to hear this, but the stadium is at or near the top of the list for this university which is much different than where it was 10 years ago. The university raised over $150 Million in it's last captial campaign and there's just no reason why it won't raise the needed funds for this project as well. We have people working on it every day. I have been assure of this by several sources. Those folks are just as frustrated as we are about the whole thing I'm sure. But in the same light, how are they treating the potential donors? Hopefully better than some of you have been treated for your MGC donation. And I just don't like reading in XYZ newspaper of a recruit who we are in on or just signed mentioning the stadium. I remember Cody Spencer's parents and several others mentioning this back prior to RV getting here and I hate seeing it still being used. If we are eons away from it still, then leave it at that and don't mention a new stadium because when it doesn't come to furition in 4 to 5 years it builds bad faith down the road with these players and their families.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I know I do not have near the connections that you have, rick, but at least it seems like we are moving in the right direction. Even though it might be a small step in the financial part of planning, I think naming a design firm is a step in the right direction. We might not be any closer to our goal of raising the money, but this at least gives our guys some ammo when they go in to meet with the donors. You said you want to see a leap of faith from the university, and this seems like they at least believe it can be done b/c otherwise it seems like a lot of money to waste for a pipe dream.

That being said I also want to say that I thank you for everything you do for this board and for your university. I have never met you in person, but am very grateful that we have alumni like you, few and far between as you may be.

I hope there are not many that would commit based on a promise of a new stadium.

I know I chose the development we moved to (10 years ago) based on the fact that the golf course was under construction (Bridlewood) vs in the plans (Hidden Lakes).

Why would anyone choose a school based on the promise of a stadium when, if that was their most important issue, any other school in Texas has a better and newer stadium to play in.

I hope that kids choose NT because they like the coaches, the offense, the new defense, the non-stadium facilities, New Orleans, the education opportunity, the location, the hotties, the Tomato (oh yeah, we lost one), etc, etc.

Whether we ever move on to higher football plains (and I feel we are closer than we have been in at least 20 years) depends on us...you and me.

How about a car wash at Kroger?!?!

I know I do not have near the connections that you have, rick, but at least it seems like we are moving in the right direction. Even though it might be a small step in the financial part of planning, I think naming a design firm is a step in the right direction. We might not be any closer to our goal of raising the money, but this at least gives our guys some ammo when they go in to meet with the donors. You said you want to see a leap of faith from the university, and this seems like they at least believe it can be done b/c otherwise it seems like a lot of money to waste for a pipe dream.

That being said I also want to say that I thank you for everything you do for this board and for your university. I have never met you in person, but am very grateful that we have alumni like you, few and far between as you may be.

I appreciate the props. But my contributions pale in comparison to many others here on the board. One who quickly comes to mind is that of Kram, who has worked very hard trying to help our Exes Association get back on it's feet, and there are many others of course. And like you said, we are going in the right direction. I think when all is said and done we will be able to look back and laugh at the frustrations. Like RV reminds us, Rome wasn't built in a day and NT is no different. Sometimes I let my own frustrations with the info I have get the best of me and I shouldn't. I simply am trying to keep people from getting ahead of what we have before us, if that makes any sense.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

I appreciate the props. But my contributions pale in comparison to many others here on the board. One who quickly comes to mind is that of Kram, who has worked very hard trying to help our Exes Association get back on it's feet, and there are many others of course. And like you said, we are going in the right direction. I think when all is said and done we will be able to look back and laugh at the frustrations. Like RV reminds us, Rome wasn't built in a day and NT is no different. Sometimes I let my own frustrations with the info I have get the best of me and I shouldn't. I simply am trying to keep people from getting ahead of what we have before us, if that makes any sense.

Rick

Rick,

Thanks for sharing your honest opinion. Although I hope you're wrong (as I'm sure you do too), a realistic approach for some of us who are always optimistic is best.

I don't believe that you shared a date for the stadium. If you have any personal estimates, when do you think a new stadium will be completed?

My kelly green glasses are fogging up from the tears, and for the first time I GET what PMG has been saying all along.

The administrators of this school have NO VISION for the future of UNT sports.

NO vision is extreme - but there is something lacking in the effort.

I am the eternal optimist when the subject is Mean Green sports, but even I am horribly disappointed with how the stadium issue is being handled.

I am not bagging on Rick Villarreal because I honestly think that he is trying to do the most with what little the university and the alumni currently provide.

But somebody has got to stand up and admit that THE PROBLEM does exist.

THE PROBLEM is that North Texas is incorrectly perceived as a second rate school. THE PROBLEM is that in the past 50 something years North Texas has won only a single postseason event (2002 N.O. Bowl). THE PROBLEM is that North Texas alumni are not overly proud to associate themselves with the school. THE PROBLEM is that nobody raises their children aspiring for them to become UNT students. THE PROBLEM is that under funded North Texas athletics have always played on the lowest level of the big schools. THE PROBLEM is when North Texas plays bodybag games every year they get their asses kicked in embarrassing fashion. THE PROBLEM is that big donors aren't anxious to associate with the university. THE PROBLEM is that big donors perceive that they are throwing their good money away on a university that refuses to help itself. THE PROBLEM is that North Texas receives only token media coverage in it's own market. THE PROBLEM is that North Texas is perceived by many students as an educational appliance to be discarded upon graduation. THE PROBLEM is North Texas has a terrible stigma attached to it for all the listed reasons,.....and hundreds more.

THE SOLUTION: North Texas needs to make a statement to improve it's stature by pumping huge amounts of funding into athletics. Athletics are the most visible aspect of the university. North Texas needs to do what UTSA and Texas State have decided is necessary; raise the athletic fee to the state maximum, stop living in disgrace and take advantage of it's size. Do NOT build a stadium sufficient for today’s demand, build a stadium comparable to what any other 35,000 undergrad college with successful programs would have. North Texas needs the ability to create first class facilities that will attract good coaches and great recruits. North Texas needs to have an athletic program that will inspire students to want to make an emotional attachment, to become fans, to follow their teams, to wear their university's apparel. Those students will eventually become contributing alumni, not only to athletics, but to every aspect of the university.

When the university invests in itself, and the college becomes something that people want to be associated with, alumni donations and corporate sponsorships will start piling up.

Some may say "why put this on the students as a student fee?" The answer is simple, the student fee is the only place that it can start. Generating revenue shared amongst 34,000 students can force change at a rapid pace, and in no other reasonable scenario is that possible. A student fee starting today would enable the university to bond a stadium immediately. A student fee would show potential donors that their money wasn't getting pissed away on some fruitless venture. A student fee is what's best for the students of the university; it may be somewhat costly right now but it will continue to pay dividends for the rest of their lives as new generations of students continue by making their own contribution.

Maybe raise the fee in increments over a 6 year period until it reaches the maximum.

THE PROBLEM is then solved. FOREVER.

Let's call it the GREAT UNIVERSITY INITIATIVE. Let’s make North Texas a GREAT UNIVERSITY.

My kelly green glasses are fogging up from the tears, and for the first time I GET what PMG has been saying all along.

The administrators of this school have NO VISION for the future of UNT sports.

Do you still think that RV is a great AD? The USM posters were correct when we hired him. If his lips are moving, he's telling a lie.