Jones Pulls A Briles (or Is It A Dodge/)

eulessismore

This sounds eerily like last year, only not so close to signing day; still I'm finding myself thinking that this late withdrawal of scholarship offers made by recently departed head coaches isn't right, whether it's by Jones, Dodge, or just due to the way the system is set up. I wanted to post this on 5atexasfootball for discussion, but couldn't get logged in on my account. Maybe tomorrow. Just wondered what others in the Mean Green Nation thought. Bottom line,in my opinion, is that high school athletes need to make plans, and this doesn't help. I posted this from the Ponyfans site, rather than the Tyler Newspaper, due to what "SMU Football Blog" wrote about Bennett stating at numerous times that he "regretted honoring Cavan's commitments". If true, what a shameless thing to say about those athetes.

Jones pulls scholarship offer.

I believe there was a young man recruited by Darrell Dickey whose scholarship was not honored last year. That bothered me a great deal.

That's what I was referring to by "This sounds eerily like last year, only not so close to signing day". Yes, I was also bothered by that at the time, but didn't get involved in posting about it, since I figured (as some on the Ponyfans are saying about June Jones) that Dodge had a lot going on then (new job, father-in-law having had a stroke, etc.). Still, I'm trying not to make this a diatribe against JJ or Dodge, just seeing it now as something that happens when coaches change jobs, but can't really see what makes it "right". I'm wondering if a different time for National signing day might be better; like closer to the end of the school year, unless a student athlete graduates early.

There is no good answers and I think it is up to the players to protect themselves to the extent they can. Remember there is absolutely nothing binding in a verbal commit. The only thing that counts is the integrity of the players and institutions involved. Some universities such as UT will revoke offers if the players continues to look at other offers. I think this is perfectly acceptable and any committed player should know he is vulnerable. In the case of a coaching changes, in my view a player unless they get some assurance from the institution involved should know that his commitment will be in jeopardy. If an incoming coach such as June Jones decides an already committed player is not good enough to play for him, there are no good options. Revoking the offer is probably better than taking an unwanted player, who most likely will be given little change to compete.

IMO a far for more egregious wrong, is those schools that rescind offers solely because they have been able to get more promising recruits. The only partially remedy is to have an early signing period in football. This won't cut out all the abuses as some schools are committing underclassmen players. Also even players that have signed and have legal contracts can be easily dissuaded by coaches that do not want to honor those contracts. It is not below some coaches, to suggest to an unwanted signee that he does have the talent to play and strongly indicate he may be better off somewhere else.

I agree!

Your thinking of Taylor Insall from Abilene and I do feel bad for the kid he turned down an offer from UTEP to except Dickey's offer before the season even started and to the best of my knowledge he didn't get another offer. But this happens everywhere how many kids de-commit after a coaching change. Players can change their minds up to sign day and coaches have the right to bring in their guys. Do I hate that a 18yr kid gets left with out a scholarship of course but it's part of the game.

I agree!

This looks potentially like a perfect case for an Invited Walk-On situation. The player can enroll and pay his way through his first year of college during his red-shirt year. If he works hard and truly is a division 1 caliber player he can be extended a scholarship offer for the next 4 years after that.

We have had many players follow this route and it has been mutually beneficial to the player and to the university. Even in a worst case scenario, after that first year, the player could still leave to start his freshman season on scholarship at a Division 1AA school or at a junior college.

This is not a grey-shirt offer which automatically gives a scholarship after the recuit pays his first year. Those are reserved for players that you've already been recruiting and are sure that they're what you're looking for but you just don't have enough scholarships to offer.

Player Profile

Let's not forget that college football is BIG business. A lot of money is at stake and expectations are high everywhere. If coaches don't win, they are terminated and in the unemployment line (albeit with a satchel of cash). This is not youth sports where everyone gets a trophy and are told they won even when they didn't. Have to give American Idol credit for figuring out a way to make millions off of the millenial generation (products of parents telling kids they are the best when they actually stink. Except for the final 12, all of the participants basically fit this category). It may appear that I got off track here but some of you know what I am saying.

In summary, its a cruel world out there. I have been told I my services were no longer needed in the job place before and it sucks but is life. Let's get over it and move on.

Just a question but, why is it that kids can change their minds at the last minute but coaches can't? Oral commits are non-binding. And another question, why kids allowed to leave their school when their coach leaves? Is this not the same kind of scenario? And why is it just when the head coach leaves? What if they have grown fond of the their position coach and he leaves? Should the player be able to leave in that scenario too? I don't have a problem with this. Its just part of the system.

Players cannot automatically leave the school if the coach gets fired - the school has to agree to release them from their ship. Remember the kids that left when Jones cam here? The ones from Trilli's regime? I don't remember his name but there was one guy that wanted to go to Okie State and we would not release him - so he had to pay his own way for one year up there.

Players cannot automatically leave the school if the coach gets fired - the school has to agree to release them from their ship. Remember the kids that left when Jones cam here? The ones from Trilli's regime? I don't remember his name but there was one guy that wanted to go to Okie State and we would not release him - so he had to pay his own way for one year up there.

Jason Miller went to Okie State, helped them meet UT in the Sweet 16; fueled by Deginal Erskin (who also left from UNT).

There is no good answers and I think it is up to the players to protect themselves to the extent they can. Remember there is absolutely nothing binding in a verbal commit. The only thing that counts is the integrity of the players and institutions involved. Some universities such as UT will revoke offers if the players continues to look at other offers. I think this is perfectly acceptable and any committed player should know he is vulnerable. In the case of a coaching changes, in my view a player unless they get some assurance from the institution involved should know that his commitment will be in jeopardy. If an incoming coach such as June Jones decides an already committed player is not good enough to play for him, there are no good options. Revoking the offer is probably better than taking an unwanted player, who most likely will be given little change to compete.

IMO a far for more egregious wrong, is those schools that rescind offers solely because they have been able to get more promising recruits. The only partially remedy is to have an early signing period in football. This won't cut out all the abuses as some schools are committing underclassmen players. Also even players that have signed and have legal contracts can be easily dissuaded by coaches that do not want to honor those contracts. It is not below some coaches, to suggest to an unwanted signee that he does have the talent to play and strongly indicate he may be better off somewhere else.

:thumbsup:

Surely the NCAA offices have printed materials they send to all HS programs across the USA which educates the "would be" signees of the kind of scenarios that can take place when there is a head football coache's change at a NCAA school. It should make sense to most recruits that when there has been a coaching change that all bets are off from the prior or out-going coaching regime.