Recruiting Article

good_ken

This would be awesome.

One of the top defensive tackles in Texas in the Class of 2007 has left Miami and might consider continuing his career at North Texas.

Chris Perry spent just one season with the Hurricanes and is on his way back to Texas, where he played for Keller Fossil Ridge, former Fossil Ridge head coach Hal Wasson confirmed on Friday.

“I visited with Chris this morning and I am not sure what he is going to do,” Wasson said. “There were no issues with Chris at Miami. His grades were good. He was just too far from home. We are going to touch base on Sunday. He has some interest in North Texas. I just don’t know how much yet.”

Wasson, who is now the head coach at Southlake Carroll, said Miami has released Perry from his scholarship.

Perry did not respond to a message left at his home in Keller.

The 6-3, 309-pound lineman was a first-team all-district selection during his senior season, when he finished with three sacks, despite being double-teamed on nearly every play. Perry was ranked No. 18 on The Dallas Morning News Area Top 100 list and was the top-rated defensive tackle in the area.

UNT signed two defensive tackle prospects in head coach Todd Dodge’s first recruiting class in converted tight end Jordan Scoggins and Jesse DeSoto, who were listed at 274 and 275 pounds, respectively, at the beginning of the 2007 season.

The Mean Green’s only defensive line recruit in its 2008 class thus far is Joe Hawthorne, who at 6-4, 250, could end up as a defensive tackle or end, depending on how he develops physically.

The Gang Green defense might be returning soon. We're getting Deloach back, now it appears we could have our "Brandon Kennedy" back too. A dominant defensive lineman is the quickest route to a dominating defense. Imagine if we could combine our early 2000s defenses with a Todd Dodge offense... can you say Top 25? Chris Perry come on down! You are the missing ingredient at UNT. At Miami, Perry was just another stud, at UNT he can be a savior... the next Mean Joe Greene.

The Gang Green defense might be returning soon. We're getting Deloach back, now it appears we could have our "Brandon Kennedy" back too. A dominant defensive lineman is the quickest route to a dominating defense. Imagine if we could combine our early 2000s defenses with a Todd Dodge offense... can you say Top 25? Chris Perry come on down! You are the missing ingredient at UNT. At Miami, Perry was just another stud, at UNT he can be a savior... the next Mean Joe Greene.

Hyperbole -

–noun Rhetoric.

1. obvious and intentional exaggeration.

2. an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”

That said...I really hope Perry signs...Top 25 may be a ways off but this would be a huge coup and Perry would be the most dominating defensive player in the SBC the moment he steps on the field

Hyperbole -

–noun Rhetoric.

2. an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”

That said...I really hope Perry signs...Top 25 may be a ways off but this would be a huge coup and Perry would be the most dominating defensive player in the SBC the moment he steps on the field

Take a sip of the green kool-aid and stop injecting common sense and reality into our discussions... it makes reading less exciting and interesting :rolleyes:

Hyperbole -

–noun Rhetoric.

Do you realize how bad our defensive line was last season? Only Chapman and Gilmore had any business being on a Division IA roster. It was a miracle we even won a game with the cast of Lone Star Conference-caliber players we shuffled out there. If you can suddenly (of course Perry would have to sit out a year) put a holeplugging/pass rushing superstar like Perry in the middle of our defense, it improves not only that one position, but suddenly our defensive ends are not getting double teamed and can provide a pass rush, our linebackers no longer have to fight off as many blockers and our secondary only has to cover their man for three seconds versus five. Sorry quarterbacks, but defensive line is the most important position on the football field.

Also, we were getting votes for the Top 25 at the height of the Dickey regime. If you could combine a Deloach-caliber defense that those teams had with a Dodge offense that reaches its potential the Top 25 is VERY REALISTIC. We will NEVER win a national title (atleast under the current BCS system), but we can reasonably hope to crack the Top 25 in two years if Dodge can land Perry.

Edited by MG Insurance Pro

Do you realize how bad our defensive line was last season? Only Chapman and Gilmore had any business being on a Division IA roster. It was a miracle we even won a game with the cast of Lone Star Conference-caliber players we shuffled out there. If you can suddenly (of course Perry would have to sit out a year) put a holeplugging/pass rushing superstar like Perry in the middle of our defense, it improves not only that one position, but suddenly our defensive ends are not getting double teamed and can provide a pass rush, our linebackers no longer have to fight off as many blockers and our secondary only has to cover their man for three seconds versus five. Sorry quarterbacks, but defensive line is the most important position on the football field.

Also, we were getting votes for the Top 25 at the height of the Dickey regime. If you could combine a Deloach-caliber defense that those teams had with a Dodge offense that reaches its potential the Top 25 is VERY REALISTIC. We will NEVER win a national title (atleast under the current BCS system), but we can reasonably hope to crack the Top 25 in two years if Dodge can land Perry.

Montey Stevenson played well last season.

Assuming that he comes to North Texas, he will not be able to play until the 2009 season.

And wouldn't it be considered a 2009 'ship?

The allure of local recruits going off to far away places sometimes works in our favor when they start missing mom's cooking and family and want to come back here. Send us your tired, your poor, your homesick! :)

Does anyone know if s.m.u. is looking at Perry? I can't see how they won't try to go after him too. Getting a player like him should help draw more intrest from bigger name talent in the area for 2009.

Yeah, all the idiots on ponyfans are salivating over him simply because of Wasson's comment that he wants to move closer to home. They claim they've sent letters to the SMU athletic dept. concerning Chris Perry, but who knows if JJ and staff are interested in him.

Even though he would not be eligible to play until 2009, this is one story that has me excited. The thought of signing Perry to play at UNT as so appealing that I won't even allow myself to think about it anymore for fear it won't happen! :unsure:

Yeah, all the idiots on ponyfans are salivating over him simply because of Wasson's comment that he wants to move closer to home. They claim they've sent letters to the SMU athletic dept. concerning Chris Perry, but who knows if JJ and staff are interested in him.

Even though he would not be eligible to play until 2009, this is one story that has me excited. The thought of signing Perry to play at UNT as so appealing that I won't even allow myself to think about it anymore for fear it won't happen! :unsure:

Lets just hope the Wasson connection leads him our way. And that he stays healthy.