Arrogance At Smu?

RETSO

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...es.1d3122a.html

Jones said SMU is looking hard at local players who had previously orally committed to other schools. Some Hawaii recruits might also follow Jones.

"A lot of guys now have an interest in SMU because I'm here," Jones said. "By the time it's said and done, we're going to steal some guys who can play."

Geez , he sounds a little arrogant. I think he willl fit in perfectly at SMUT

Edited by RETSO

Jones said SMU is looking hard at local players who had previously orally committed to other schools. Some Hawaii recruits might also follow Jones.

"A lot of guys now have an interest in SMU because I'm here," Jones said. "By the time it's said and done, we're going to steal some guys who can play."

No kidding!! You would expect him to act that way with the salary and pomp and circumstance SMUt provided for him. He probably thinks he can "do no wrong". A little like SMUt during the pre-death penalty days! Ya think he may be after some of the UNT recruits?? Of course he is! If he gets any of our recruits, do you think the rivalry between UNT and SMU will gain any steam?? Man these guys chaps me!!! All in the name of good competition I suppose!

Edited by GreenExes

His comments are arrogant, but they are probably true. And stealing commits is all part of recruiting--we were pretty proud of that one we grabbed from TCU. If June doesn't steal any of our recruits this year, he probably will at some time. But that's okay--we'll get him back double, and then whup his boys silly out on the football field.

Not that I care about them...

But to be fair, with signing day fast approaching, alot of these kids have probably already made their minds up. JJ JUST arrived, so I'd say only method he can get a really good recruit will be stealing them from some place they've already orally committed.

Steal may not have been the best choice of a word to u$e by someone from $MU, ya' think? Yet it almost sounds like the kind of atttitude of one that could (possibly) usher in some other old problems $MU has had in their rich pa$t when it comes to recruiting. Just my .02 on that.

PS: I hope we haven't burned all our best leads to get a Big Donor for our new stadium (sooner than later) because the stakes are quite high even moreso to get that huge project started in the Mean Green Village. Do you believe in miracles? Well, we may need one before all this is over with; yet the best part of all this is that it (still) only takes one "YES" from one potential Big Donor & with that decision of a big "yes" changing our football future forever in Mean Green Country.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Not that I care about them...

But to be fair, with signing day fast approaching, alot of these kids have probably already made their minds up. JJ JUST arrived, so I'd say only method he can get a really good recruit will be stealing them from some place they've already orally committed.

I agree. I also think that the players that committed to Coach Dodge, did so because they believed in him, his program and the UNT scholastics and facilities. The total package at UNT should stand for itself and very hard to compete with. I hope that committment is firm and the character of Coach Dodge is a strong enough to hold the players close enough to prevent JJ from stealing a UNT verbal. Let's see if any bad blood comes out of this??

Edited by GreenExes

I admit... If I got a $1.2 million raise, I'd probably think I was the Cock of the Walk.

$1.2 million raise would probably stroke the ego of most but he needs to remember he wasn't smu's first choice. He was the best of what was left and at $2 million a year is being grossly overpaid.

Have any of you met Coach Jones? He is the most humble, unassuming guy around. And what he said is true---since he arrived, the phones are ringing off the wall with people wanting to get in front of him for consideration. Its because of his winning record, his reputation, and the type of offense he runs. How will this translate with our upcoming class? I have no idea. But don't mistake his comments for arrogance.

Have any of you met Coach Jones? He is the most humble, unassuming guy around. And what he said is true---since he arrived, the phones are ringing off the wall with people wanting to get in front of him for consideration. Its because of his winning record, his reputation, and the type of offense he runs. How will this translate with our upcoming class? I have no idea. But don't mistake his comments for arrogance.

Nope, I have not met JJ. I wonder if you have? My guess is, you have not either, if he is that hard to get in front of. Ya know, we sometimes never know more than what the media provides, and I'm surprised that JJ would let that language out in a press release. What the heck would you think if the roles and press releases were revearsed. But then again, you haven't been putting up with UNT arrogance for 30 years.

Edited by GreenExes

Nope, I have not met JJ. I wonder if you have? My guess is, you have not either, if he is that hard to get in front of. Ya know, we sometimes never know more than what the media provides, and I'm surprised that JJ would let that language out in a press release. What the heck would you think if the roles and press releases were revearsed. But then again, you haven't been putting up with UNT arrogance for 30 years.

Yes, actually I did meet him at a reception after the press conference. And he struck me as a really nice person.

And I still haven't figured out how anything that happens at SMU should concern someone from UNT. We are receiving well wishes from our conference mates as well as others around the nation. But, apparently not from our neighbors to the north.

Edited by Poneez

Yes, actually I did meet him at a reception after the press conference. And he struck me as a really nice person.

And I still haven't figured out how anything that happens at SMU should concern someone from UNT. We are receiving well wishes from our conference mates as well as others around the nation. But, apparently not from our neighbors to the north.

I always TRY to be polite to my neighbors until they start stealing from me ... or flip their noses at me ... or tell the other neighbors my wife is trash ...

And I still haven't figured out how anything that happens at SMU should concern someone from UNT.

Really?!?...I seem to remember a news story at the beginning of this thread about Jones "stealing" recruits. I'm sure that at least a few of our recruits are on his WANTED list.

We are receiving well wishes from our conference mates as well as others around the nation. But, apparently not from our neighbors to the north.

Last year, we received similar well wishes from our conference mates and others too. But, apparently not from our neighbors to the south. (not to say that there was NO ONE from SMU that wasn't happy for us, but I didn't notice any in my message board scanning)

Edit: Dammit, Perry beat me to this one :P

Edited by BeanCounterGrad'03

Don't try to put words in our mouths. Most of us complimented SMU on the hire. One fan just noted a comment that, though probably true, reeks of arrogance.

I never want to cause hard feeling to another person, because of course I am a people person. I do think another team that NT competes with for recruits is a concern. I don't wish any team North Texas plays to have good luck, get better recruits or any good coaches. I want them to do miserable and have a horrible team. I want North Texas to win. Maybe that makes me a poor sport...maybe I just like to win. NT has had a tough time in athletics for about as long as SMU and I am tired of it. I hope everyone else stinks an NT wins a National Championship.