The New Floor

Sound_Man

Two observations:

I hate the way it says "Lady Eagles". It looks like the men are just borrowing their floor. It was the first thing I noticed as soon as I walked in. That will look very odd on T.V.

Second, what's up with those dam# strobe lights going off constantly during the game? That was very distracting and I don't understand the purpose. Those have got to go!

The green had to be lighter to make it more TV friendly. The new lights will help with that too.

I like the Scrappy. No, it doesn't strike fear in anyone , but since when is that the court's job? The Kansas Jayhawk looks like a pansie compared to that Scrappy, and they seem to do ok. It's a neat little logo, the kind that sells merchandise.

I'm also glad the court says Lady Eagles on one end and Mean Green on the other. It's just as much thier court as the men's, and they have won a lot of games there recently.

Other then the natural color of the wood, the only collors on the floor were GREEN and WHITE. No ORANGE or BLUE!

As for the Mean Green sharing floor space with the Lady Eagles, I think what helped get the new floor was Title 9 funding...The Lady Eagles needed a new floor, so what if the men happened to play on the same floor. rolleyes.gif

I'm not disputing the Lady Eagles "ownership" of the floor. Its just that we're the only ones who know that "Mean Green" means men and "Lady Eagles" means women (well, that part is pretty self explanatory). So, it looks like it's the floor for the Mean Green Lady Eagles and the men are just using it for the time being.

About the strobes, no, they are not photographer strobes. They are located up in the rafters somewhere and periodically (even while play is going on) they flash. It was driving me nuts (well, more nuts).

About the strobes, no, they are not photographer strobes.  They are located up in the rafters somewhere and periodically (even while play is going on) they flash.  It was driving me nuts (well, more nuts).

Its pretty common for photogs to place strobes in the rafters and then remote trigger them.

You're right on the money Cerebus, the strobes are for photographers. You can notice the same thing next time you watch a Stars game on TV. Every now and then you will see an instantaneous flash every few seconds. You don't notice until someone points it out. After a friend pointed it out to me several years ago, I was going crazy noticing the flashes.

GMG!!!!

Kill the Cats!!!!

Both Rick Yeatts and the Daily (on occasion) have strobes hung permenantly in the ceiling. I hate to be blunt, but you just gotta get used to it if you are going to watch college (or pro) basketball.

BTW, They have been there for a good amount of time. I think Rick hung his like 5 years ago.

For pro or high level college games it is not uncommon for there to be 5-6 sets (at least two most times four) of lights hung for the game.

In Shreveport we even have portable lights that we mount in the upper corners of high school gyms for games.

Seeya,

Shane

Why is it so bad to call the Lady's teams "Mean Green" There is really nothing wrong with it. I guess it is to apease the folks that are dead set on us becoming "Mean Green" across the board but NMSU did the same thing for the longest time. The men's teams were the Aggies and the lady teams were the Roadrunners. I guess Aggies sounded too masculine for them. Last year they started calling the lady teams the Lady Aggies. Why can't we just call the women the Lady Green? I believe in consistency and originality. There are 17 other teams with either Eagle of Golden Eagle as their team name. The Mean Green is a very unique name with serious marketability. I think we should take it and run with it. Thoughts? By the way, I cannot see Daffy the Eagle in any of the pics so it must not be too big.

By the way, thank you so much for the photos Eric. I had to work into the night and missed the window of opportunity to drive from Dallas to Denton. That drive can take you a good 3 hours if you wait too long because the traffic is so bad. Oh well, it is worth it to get ready for a 4 day vacation in N'Awlins!