Sources: Texas A&m Expected To Name Sherman As Coach

NT80

Sources: Texas A&M expected to name Sherman as football coach

01:13 AM CST on Monday, November 26, 2007

By BRIAN DAVIS / The Dallas Morning News

brdavis@dallasnews.com

Assuming there are no unforeseen snags, Mike Sherman is expected to be named the next head football coach at Texas A&M University, multiple sources told The Dallas Morning News on Sunday.

The school has called an 11 a.m. news conference today at the Bright Football Complex, A&M spokesman Alan Cannon said.

Sherman, 52, served as A&M's offensive line coach in the 1990s. He's currently the offensive coordinator for the NFL's Houston Texans. He declined to comment about the A&M opening after the Texans lost to the Cleveland Browns on Sunday in Cleveland.

Texans spokesman Tony Wyllie said he could not comment on Sherman's status.

Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville, believed to be one of the leading contenders for the A&M position, fell out of the running, a high-ranking university source said.

Tuberville has a $6 million buyout clause in his Auburn contract. A&M officials were not willing to pay that amount "just to talk to him," the university source said. A&M would then have to pay even more to lure Tuberville to College Station.

Tuberville told Auburn reporters Sunday that he will meet with the school's athletic director Jay Jacobs this week. Those talks could lead to a contract extension.

Dennis Franchione, who was 32-28 in five seasons at A&M, resigned Friday after the regular-season finale against Texas. At that time, A&M athletic director Bill Byrne said the school would conduct a "nationwide" search for Franchione's replacement.

That nationwide search simply took Byrne south on Highway 6 toward Houston.

Sherman was the school's offensive line coach from 1989 to '93. He left A&M for a one-year stint with UCLA then came back to coach the Aggies' linemen in 1995 and '96.

In 1997, Sherman left the college coaching ranks for the NFL when he became the tight ends coach for the Green Bay Packers. He became the team's head coach before the 2000 season.

Sherman led the Packers to five consecutive winning seasons from 2000 to 2004. The franchise won NFC North division titles in 2002, '03 and '04.

Injuries crippled the Packers in 2005. The team finished 4-12 and Sherman was fired shortly after the season. He landed with the Texans as the assistant head coach in 2006, and he became the offensive coordinator this season.

Photo:

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/71680113.jp...40A659CEC4C8CB6

Edited by NT80

Here's the summary I've found by looking.

The Aggie board on Scout was about to go up in flames acouple of hours ago when I was reading stuff over there. Other Big XII boards seem to have a mixed reaction(some are worried he might get kids because of his NFL experience, others think this will just extend Aggie mediocrity). I'm not sure anyone has an idea about him to be honest.

The Auburn board is ecstatic that Tubberville is staying on the Plains despite all the rumors a month ago that he was going to College Station. I don't think they'll ever let the man who can beat Bama 6 straight leave.

Edited by CMJ

Here's the summary I've found by looking.

The Aggie board on Scout was about to go up in flames acouple of hours ago when I was reading stuff over there. Other Big XII boards seem to have a mixed reaction(some are worried he might get kids because of his NFL experience, others think this will just extend Aggie mediocrity). I'm not sure anyone has an idea about him to be honest.

The Auburn board is ecstatic that Tubberville is staying on the Plains despite all the rumors a month ago that he was going to College Station. I don't think they'll ever let the man who can beat Bama 6 straight leave.

There never was much of a chance that Tommy T was leaving Auburn: Today's paper reports that his buyout there...is $6 million.

Dont' have any stats that I can get to right now.....but I just don't think these coaches coming from the NFL to the college level is working. (i.e. Gailey, Callahan, Mackovic). I think as assistants/position coaches that it is good, but the head coach no. Yes, Pete Carroll has done a great job at USC, but I think he, personality wise, is good fit for that school. I don't think he would have been as successful in somewhere like Lincoln, NE. This pick by A&M is boring, and I do not see how they have really upgraded their football program.

Whether he can coach or not isn't the real story...it's whether he can recruit or not. A&M's problem is that R.C. Slocum got so far behind Bob Stoops and Mack Brown recruiting-wise, that A&M was never going to compete. It's gotten so bad that Texas Tech now beats them regularly.

I don't see Mike Sherman in an 18-year old kid's living room convincing some kid who has already been visited by an OU or UT coach that A&M is the place to be if he wants to compete for championships. Sorry, I just don't see it.

It's way early, I know, but I'll go ahead and call "failure" on this hire. There are too many young offensive and defensive coordinators and coaches of mid-majors who could have been considered and who would have been better hires for the Aggies.

Pathetic.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

Whether he can coach or not isn't the real story...it's whether he can recruit or not. A&M's problem is that R.C. Slocum got so far behind Bob Stoops and Mack Brown recruiting-wise, that A&M was never going to compete. It's gotten so bad that Texas Tech now beats them regularly.

I don't see Mike Sherman in an 18-year old kid's living room convincing some kid who has already been visited by an OU or UT coach that A&M is the place to be if he wants to compete for championships. Sorry, I just don't see it.

It's way early, I know, but I'll go ahead and call "failure" on this hire. There are too many young offensive and defensive coordinators and coaches of mid-majors who could have been considered and who would have been better hires for the Aggies.

Pathetic.

another way to look at it is, he can go into a living room and talk about how he coached the likes of Brett Favre and he knows what it takes to get to the "Show". I really see no reason he cant recruit against Brown and Stoops. A&M has the facilities, money, and opportunity to compete for a Big XII and National Championship every year.

I just want to throw this out there and I hope that someone can give me evidence to the contrary.

I honestly think the culture of aTm automatically turns off some recruits how are, for lack of a better word, urban. Yes, yes, I know that Javorskie Lane and Goodson, and a myriad of others are there but I just kinda wonder if a recruit who is from south Dallas doesn't go on an official visit and see 82,000 country yokels and an army of goose stepping white boys and feel a little "out of their element." Again, please prove me wrong but it's just kinda how I see it.

Perhaps Emmitt. But Virginia Tech is also an institution with military roots, that still has a huge ROTC type of atmosphere. Not sure what they call their "Corps of Cadets" - but you've seen their games - it's there. They have no issue getting "urban" kids.

Edited by CMJ

Pathetic.

I don't know that bad recruiting has ever been an excuse for A&M. Year in and Year out they have tons of players that are highly recruited 5*s and top state 100. They constantly have talent in the NFL. They are a recruiting machine.

I just want to throw this out there and I hope that someone can give me evidence to the contrary.

I honestly think the culture of aTm automatically turns off some recruits how are, for lack of a better word, urban. Yes, yes, I know that Javorskie Lane and Goodson, and a myriad of others are there but I just kinda wonder if a recruit who is from south Dallas doesn't go on an official visit and see 82,000 country yokels and an army of goose stepping white boys and feel a little "out of their element." Again, please prove me wrong but it's just kinda how I see it.

Wish I could prove you wrong, but you make a point that I have thought about many times as I see some of the big programs (i.e. Nebraska, Penn State, Iowa, and a few others) become mediocore because they don't have an 'urban" atmosphere.