Finally Thawing Out......

FirefightnRick

Once again I get to post the plates!

ntwins1.jpg

Sweet come from behind victory by the Mean Green tonight. I can finally feel my toes again, Wow what a test for our fanbase? wKYjelly is a mouthy bunch. How fitting that their cocky attitude was their downfall tonight? LOL!!!! I hope they enjoy the fruits to their stupidity and trashy display of behavior on their long, quiet ride home.

I hope everyone liked the chant. We started it at UTA Wednesday night and continued with the few folks in the stands tonight. It's easy to do and it only takes one village idiot to stand up and get everyone's attention. I hope someone in the Pit Crew can step up this bb season and continue and teach this to the rest of the fanbase as it's very affective and easy to do.

Thank you to Jamario, Aaron Weathers and all the other Seniors for 4 memorable years. We will forever remember the grit and determination you brought to this university. You have made us so very proud!

The mysterious announcement.

Last week at one of our games one of our officials was overheard discussing the subject concerning the start of construction of the new stadium, saying that the funding has been reached and dirt will be turned in 2009. Nothing was heard about an announcement this week as that must have been assumed for reasons I can't answer? When asked about this subject non of the higher ups admitted to this. But it didn't sound like they were denying it either and this includes BOR members as well. Officially, we are STILL in the quiet phase of fundraising for it and that is still where we stand on that.

Great win for the 1,000 or so who were in attendance. It was very '2000 New Mexico State-like tonight. The Mean Green won then in front of a select few and started the turn around for some of our most memorable times. Hopefully tonight will be a repeat for the future as well.

Rick

Another thing. One of the most spirited things I have heard in many years by one of our students that gives me reason to believe that the future is so bright for our university.

As some of you know I supply the giant NT Battle Flag for the university to use at the games and they keep it during the football season then give it back afterwards. The student who brought it back to me tonight handed it over after the game and I told him great job tonight and thank you. To which he simply replied.

"Your welcome, IT WAS AN HONOR"

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Quick note:

During the telecast when the power was restored, you could hear someone in the pressbox say, "You smell smoke?" Jub-Jub and Hank discussed it briefly, then Jub-Jub said to not worry since FireFightin' Rick was there! Sounded like a good time. Wish i could have made it in from Houston.

Hey FFR was that a trash can lid that you got out of the back of that john deer at the game and started beating it on the rail? What ever it was it was funny. I saw you get up and start a chant but I couldn't tell what you were saying so I couldn't get it going down in section H.

Edited by THE CLAW

Hey FFR was that a trash can lid that you got out of the back of that john deer at the game and started beating it on the rail? What ever it was it was funny. I saw you get up and start a chant but I couldn't tell what you were saying so I couldn't get it going down in section H.

Yes, we used those lids in the FIU overtime win last year as well. Very loud. The Chant was the same I have mentioned here before. If we had more people in the stands those further away would have been able to catch on. Tonight we did what we could.

It goes like this. When I start to spin my helmet over my head and yell everyone else does too to let me know your ready. Then I pump the helmet up and down in cadence: GO MEAN GREEN EAGLES FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!.

I try to do it three times so that by the third time most have heard and can participate. Should have started this at the Navy game with more folks. Maybe next year or during bb season?

Rick

Guest JohnDenver

He bent over the rail and took it off the top of the trash can and beat it against the rail. The security guard looked at him and then looked around and couldn't decide if he wanted to waste the precious heat/energy required to walk over there and tell him to put the lid back.

It was pretty funny...

That was certainly one of the most (physically) miserable games I've ever sat through. But every time I thought I might be going into hypothermia, it made me feel safe to look a few seats to my left and see an off-duty firefighter there who would know all the first response procedures. Thanks for all you do, Rick.

And although it wasn't a perfect game by any means, Jamario made me extremely proud. And to see the team's reaction when we won was worth every cold and wet hour.

One question, though: At the game's end I had crossed over to the student side next to the team tunnel. Since I was then just a few rows above the field, I couldn't see what happened in the postgame dustup. Anybody see who did what to whom, and who did what back? TD made a brief mention on the postgame show about how he told the team not to respond to taunts and disrespect, but there were no other details.

The cheer leaders looked in awe of FFR doing the chant. They couldn't believe such a simple chant could be lead by just one person and is so easy for everyone to pick up. I think the real question is whether they take the reins and start doing the cheer on the sidelines to get more crowd participation.

That was certainly one of the most (physically) miserable games I've ever sat through. But every time I thought I might be going into hypothermia, it made me feel safe to look a few seats to my left and see an off-duty firefighter there who would know all the first response procedures. Thanks for all you do, Rick.

And although it wasn't a perfect game by any means, Jamario made me extremely proud. And to see the team's reaction when we won was worth every cold and wet hour.

One question, though: At the game's end I had crossed over to the student side next to the team tunnel. Since I was then just a few rows above the field, I couldn't see what happened in the postgame dustup. Anybody see who did what to whom, and who did what back? TD made a brief mention on the postgame show about how he told the team not to respond to taunts and disrespect, but there were no other details.

So maybe we should pitch in and buy the cheerleading squad some trashcans.

Last week at one of our games one of our officials was overheard discussing the subject concerning the start of construction of the new stadium, saying that the funding has been reached and dirt will be turned in 2009. Nothing was heard about an announcement this week as that must have been assumed for reasons I can't answer? When asked about this subject non of the higher ups admitted to this. But it didn't sound like they were denying it either and this includes BOR members as well. Officially, we are STILL in the quiet phase of fundraising for it and that is still where we stand on that.

On average, how long does it take to build a college stadium?

Loved the chant, Rick. It's just what was discussed: simple, easy to remember, with words that allow for emphatic chants. Reminds me a little of the J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS chant. I think its a really good start. If the Pit Crew can help promote it through basketball season, it's got a chance to catch on.

I go the feeling the cheerleaders didn't know what to make of it, but I did seem them applauding your efforts and they seemed glad to see the crowd joining in. So maybe there's hope.

How about a userbar for the chant? I hope everyone gets behind this.

chant.gif

Yes, we used those lids in the FIU overtime win last year as well. Very loud. The Chant was the same I have mentioned here before. If we had more people in the stands those further away would have been able to catch on. Tonight we did what we could.

It goes like this. When I start to spin my helmet over my head and yell everyone else does too to let me know your ready. Then I pump the helmet up and down in cadence: GO MEAN GREEN EAGLES FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!.

I try to do it three times so that by the third time most have heard and can participate. Should have started this at the Navy game with more folks. Maybe next year or during bb season?

Rick

I really enjoyed the game (despite the weather elements and small crowd). I really liked the concept of the chant, but there was one thing about it that annoys me a little. This may not be popular, but show me a little lattitude...then feel free to shoot me down.

It's annoyed me in the past when I hear people refer to us as the "Mean Green Eagles". Am I wrong that our mascot is the "Eagles" and our nick name is the "Mean Green"? I may have them switched around, but does it bother anyone else when they are combined together? Maybe I'm being petty.

In the North Texas Football 2007 Fan Guide (page 11 for those following along), there is a similar chant cheer explained, though I'm not sure I've heard it done. I couldn't find an electronic version of the guide any longer, but the guide says:

MEAN G - R - E - E - N Spellout Cheer

Mascot or Cheerleaders instigate cheer by the action of rolling their fists...

Crowd responds with continuous

holler... "MMMMMEEEEEAAAAANNNNN"

When the Cheerleader or Mascot instigator stops fist

rolling action, crowd responds with the Green Spellout

"G" "R" "E" "E" "N" GREEN

Cheer sequence can be repeated continuously

I think either cheer is great and I will prowdly chant along to either, but thought I'd throw this out there before the "Mean Green Eagles" cheer takes off further.

I really enjoyed the game (despite the weather elements and small crowd). I really liked the concept of the chant, but there was one thing about it that annoys me a little. This may not be popular, but show me a little lattitude...then feel free to shoot me down.

It's annoyed me in the past when I hear people refer to us as the "Mean Green Eagles". Am I wrong that our mascot is the "Eagles" and our nick name is the "Mean Green"? I may have them switched around, but does it bother anyone else when they are combined together? Maybe I'm being petty.

In the North Texas Football 2007 Fan Guide (page 11 for those following along), there is a similar chant cheer explained, though I'm not sure I've heard it done. I couldn't find an electronic version of the guide any longer, but the guide says:

MEAN G - R - E - E - N Spellout Cheer

Mascot or Cheerleaders instigate cheer by the action of rolling their fists...

Crowd responds with continuous

holler... "MMMMMEEEEEAAAAANNNNN"

When the Cheerleader or Mascot instigator stops fist

rolling action, crowd responds with the Green Spellout

"G" "R" "E" "E" "N" GREEN

Cheer sequence can be repeated continuously

I think either cheer is great and I will prowdly chant along to either, but thought I'd throw this out there before the "Mean Green Eagles" cheer takes off further.

I like this one better than the Mean Green Eagles cheer, but putting the responsibility on the cheerleaders to lead a cheer is really asking a lot. It would be our ball, 3rd and 6 and they would be all upset that the crowd isn't doing their cheer.

Last week at one of our games one of our officials was overheard discussing the subject concerning the start of construction of the new stadium, saying that the funding has been reached and dirt will be turned in 2009. Nothing was heard about an announcement this week as that must have been assumed for reasons I can't answer? When asked about this subject non of the higher ups admitted to this. But it didn't sound like they were denying it either and this includes BOR members as well. Officially, we are STILL in the quiet phase of fundraising for it and that is still where we stand on that

One of the best unofficial (but almost official) bits of information we've had on GMG.com in quite awhile, Rick.

We are the Eagles(mascot) and our nickname is the Mean Green. Similar to Auburn is the Tiger and their nickname is the War Eagle, Alabama has the Elephant for a mascot and their nickname is the Crimson Tide and Nebraska are the Huskers and are known as Big Red. Big time schools with big time traditions. We have our own as well. It's that simple.

MEAN G-R-E-E-N doesn't work because of the rythm or beat doesn't fit well. Just like non of the other cheers the cheerleaders do either. Non of them get enough attention to do in unison nor are they signalled to get enough attention to do in unison. By the time you hear their cheers and start yelling them they are over with. Plus they do their cheers during play and at the worst times.

Not sure why this 7 beat thing works but its the reason the Jets and Philladelphia Eagles, LSU and Memphis Tiger chants have caught on so well with their fan bases is because they all are signalled prior to doing them and they are done in 7 beats, are simple, quick and easy to do and are over with just as quickly as they start.

J E T S...JETS JET JETS

or

T I G E R S...TIGERS

or

E A G L E S...EAGLES

Once we tried: GO MEAN GREEN EAGLES FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT at UTA and everyone realized how easy it was to do and stay in unison it caught on.

Rick

Rick

We could see and hear you leading the cheers in the stands (I was under the tent for the game). It sounded really good coming from a relatively small group of die hards. I really think that cheer has a chance of catching on next season. Great Job!

Also...Kudos to Jamario. He had a monster game and was the reason that we ended up winning. Just vintage Jamario last night. Great way to close out his playing days at Fouts.