Fire Mendoza...now!

JayDub

I expected a lot of Boo Birds when I got home. Of course we now have 4 less DB's than when we started the season and 2 less Linebackers...but lets blame the coach. I've seen Navy play on TV at least twice...and neither opposing team could stop Navy's rushing attack either (1 game was Notre Dame)

I could be wrong but in all honesty I believe TD is very loyal with his coaches and I don't expect to see a change at this time or this year.

I expected a lot of Boo Birds when I got home. Of course we now have 3 less DB's than when we started the season and 2 Linebackers...but lets blame the coach. I've seen Navy play on TV at least twice...and neither opposing team could stop Navy's rushing attack either (1 game was Notre Dame)

I could be wrong but in all honesty I believe TD is very loyal with his coaches and I don't expect to see a change at this time or this year.

I hear you Oldtimer but we also allowed Navy to set a new team record for rushing yards at 572. Our defense is hurting but they should not be this bad, especially after 2 weeks to prepare, albeight interrupted with Green-gate

If we fire Mendoza (which 95% of the people on here think we will) Gary DeLoach would be a good candidate for DC. Was here before and is now at UCLA. Good defensive mind...master of preparation.

Yeah, but what would it take to leave UCLA for UNT? Ever been in one of the fee-funding festivals? No way would we afford getting him here without HUGE fundraising from the Athletics Department.

Anybody have a take on a REALISTIC replacement?

By the way, I think Dodge originally tried to hire Anybody, but he turned us down. :) Seriously, who should we target as a replacement? This seems to be the direction everyone wants to take this. Candidates?

I can't believe I am typing this, but for some reason Phil Bennett seems like a great candidate. His K-State Def's were great. That may be a product of the players he had there. However he was there when Kstate was on the rise

I got slammed some almost a year ago for saying that TD went a little too far with his High School hires, and I think that time has told us that I was not too much out of line for expressing that opinion. I'm STILL very optimistic about the future of the TD program, but he has plain and simply got to admit that he made a mistake in some of his initial coaching hires. Defense is just as important as offense in winning football games. I really hope that Dodge starts to recognize that fact and decides to bring in a couple of good and EXPERIENCED guys. Otherwise, I'm very happy with the progress of our offense, and despite the loss, tonight was a nice night to be a North Texas supporter.

Yeah, but what would it take to leave UCLA for UNT? Ever been in one of the fee-funding festivals? No way would we afford getting him here without HUGE fundraising from the Athletics Department.

Anybody have a take on a REALISTIC replacement?

My point exactly. Who do we have a realistic shot at getting to run the defense? It is easy to say anybody could do better, but who? I don't know how loyal Dodge is to his staff, but I don't think he will go down for one of his coaches. If the defensive coach really is the problem, I think Dodge would replace him.

What do we have to lose?

There is not a reason in the world we should have lost that game. The defense was not prepared...even with 2 weeks to do so.

Fire Mendoza NOW! This is ridiculous!

Hands down, that was EMBARRASSING and RIDICULOUS.

It was almost as if their OC came over to Mendoza and crew and said "we are going to run the ball 95% of our plays" and our coaches just said, "Okay, but we are not going to make any adjustments".

Hey here's a thought - just put 10 men in the box and force Navy to throw it - who cares if they beat us through the air, we weren't going to stop that running offense anyways.

Edited by GoMeanGreen1999

Notre Dame had 2 weeks too. I guess Charlie Weiss & his staff are really just a bunch of high coaches too. Let's fire the entire staff.

Let's all calm down, recognize our improvements and areas we need to fix. Can we give this coaching staff a couple classes before we call for their heads?

Did ND give up 74 points in REGULATION? You seriously don't find anything wrong with this defense? Did you watch Mendoza during the game when his defense came off the field? Most of the time, he was no where to be found. What improvements have we seen in this defense when we had 2 weeks to prepare for a running offense at home, in the 9th game of the season?

I can't believe I am typing this, but for some reason Phil Bennett seems like a great candidate. His K-State Def's were great. That may be a product of the players he had there. However he was there when Kstate was on the rise

I dont think it's a bad idea all. Ive never cared for SMU, but have nohting against Phil Bennett. He did do some good work at K-State. That's what just happens when head coaches get fired, they get knocked down a few notches and have to work at a lower positiion until they prove themselves to move back up - i.e. Darrell Dickey. (Or alot of people that have been fired from any type of job) I wouldnt be suprised if his name is on the table for consideration.

I'm sure we're not all thinking of something that hasnt crossed TD and the AD mind. I'd gues they're using the rest of the season to evaluate the coaches and the players.

At the end of the year, he needs to be re-assigned or let go. Hands down the worst defensive football game I've ever seen. I'm just as mad now as I was after the Tulsa ass kicking.

I didn't ever think I would see a worse game than that Tulsa or MTSU games, but in terms of defense, today's game takes the lead. Horrible.

I got slammed some almost a year ago for saying that TD went a little too far with his High School hires, and I think that time has told us that I was not too much out of line for expressing that opinion. I'm STILL very optimistic about the future of the TD program, but he has plain and simply got to admit that he made a mistake in some of his initial coaching hires. Defense is just as important as offense in winning football games. I really hope that Dodge starts to recognize that fact and decides to bring in a couple of good and EXPERIENCED guys. Otherwise, I'm very happy with the progress of our offense, and despite the loss, tonight was a nice night to be a North Texas supporter.

AMEN!!

I agree. Bennett wouldn't be a bad option to consider.

Dream on. Phil Bennett isn't coming here to be our DC. He can be a DC in a BCS conference any time he wants to. Mendoza needs to go back to high school though. That was pathetic. Our D-line lacks talent but they aren't as bad as they played tonight. That defensive showing made me throw up in my mouth and swallow it.

Navy makes adjustments at halftime and slows down our offense and UNT at halftime does what? This story is getting old.

They didn't slow down our offense, we did... those 2 interceptions would have equaled 14 points. But yes, you're right... our defense is pathetic, I mean made no adjustments.

Dream on. Phil Bennett isn't coming here to be our DC. He can be a DC in a BCS conference any time he wants to. Mendoza needs to go back to high school though. That was pathetic.

Bennett may want to stay in the DFW area; I'd make a call to him and at least ask if he's interested. Otherwise, put out a want-ad: "Opening, college-experienced 1-A DC needed ASAP!"

They didn't slow down our offense, we did... those 2 interceptions would have equaled 14 points. But yes, you're right... our defense is pathetic, I mean made no adjustments.

You obviously didn't see what their weak side linebacker starting doing the second half? Go back and watch it just before he got the 1st of the two second half picks. And they made adjustments in their cover one and two the second half as well. There wasn't nearly as much space as there was in the first half on the quick screen passes.

I thank Paul Johnson for having a short memory from the insult North Texas dealt him in '91 and showing mercy running out the clock at the end. When they took that time out I thought, "Well, here it comes....Pay Back". But he must have been just telling them to run out the clock?

SMU are absolute fools if they don't hire the man. I wish him and his team best of luck the rest of the way.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick