Boomer The Cannon Update.

FirefightnRick

Mike, Alex, the Cannon Crew and I met this morning at Fouts for a round of practice firing to try and work the fizzles out. Back before the FAU game the black powder that was on order had not come in yet so instead Talons were forced to use some different powder in that game that turned out to be a synthetic and that doesn't work well with the new system we started using a few years back. On top of that when I inspected it this morning it had gotten moist so no wonder we had the fizzles so bad for FAU. Luckily today the new shipment finally came in and we gave it a go with impressive results. Each time(5 in all) we set off numerous car alarms outside the stadium. There should be quite a noticable difference when the Mean Green scores this coming saturday.

Rick

Mike, Alex, the Cannon Crew and I met this morning at Fouts for a round of practice firing to try and work the fizzles out. Back before the FAU game the black powder that was on order had not come in yet so instead Talons were forced to use some different powder in that game that turned out to be a synthetic and that doesn't work well with the new system we started using a few years back. On top of that when I inspected it this morning it had gotten moist so no wonder we had the fizzles so bad for FAU. Luckily today the new shipment finally came in and we gave it a go with impressive results. Each time(5 in all) we set off numerous car alarms outside the stadium. There should be quite a noticable difference when the Mean Green scores this coming saturday.

Rick

Good to hear. Hopefully we will run out of powder this Saturday and be forced to order double.

Thanks for taking care of it Rick.

Good to hear. Hopefully we will run out of powder this Saturday and be forced to order double.

Thanks for taking care of it Rick.

Good work, Rick, and thanks for the update. Wish I could be there to hear it in person but I felt the house shake just reading about it :)

THANKS! for the hard and dedicated work FFR. I took care of the Model A, the cannon and the bell in 75-78 and loved every minute of all of it. I'd like to volunteer time and money if the chance comes up. Course I was draggin' the bell (the real bell) behind my vehicle when it was parked over night in the Ramada parking lot in north Austin when the UT fans stold it and painted it with orange and white with the lovely enscription 24-10. I can't be trusted. I did work straight through the night to paint it mean green again. We were ale to take the Model A in to DR the stadium at the time. too much fun!!

Oh Lord Rick...I will be jumping out of my seat AGAIN! Way to Go!

Or, like one time at the end of halftime last year or the year before, when we were a little late in getting cleared off the field from the Jr. Mean Green spirit line. We arrived at the track in front of the cannon just as the kickoff happened and BOOM! I swear I just about jumped in 50 different directions at the same time and little kids were scattering all around us!

I took care of the Model A, the cannon and the bell in 75-78 and loved every minute of all of it. I'd like to volunteer time and money if the chance comes up.

If you're truly interested in helping out, you are more than welcome to oversee the bell / tug maintenance and upkeep and be the contact person for Talons. We were doing it for the past couple of years - in fact, we are the ones who donated the new bell and vehicle it's on now - but have recently moved to New Mexico so it makes it a little difficult to be there when needed (and to anticipate when we're needed). Anyway, PM me if you're serious and we'll talk. Thanks!!! Keith's brother, Sherman, was around during the time the bell was painted orange too. You may even know him. He was a Talon, too.

I'd like to volunteer time and money if the chance comes up.

Probably wouldn't put in writing here if he didn't mean it. I certainly would like to be a supporter of the Talons since I have publicly criticized the group for their less than dismal performance over the past 20 years. My big Bro was the President of the Talons a few years before I attended NTSU. I tried to join the Talons but was turned down :disgust: No way you could find a more green blood than me. Am I bitter..YES. I am willing to put all of this behind me :flowers: and step up to the plate also.

Edited by ShopMeanGreen

Probably wouldn't put in writing here if he didn't mean it. I certainly would like to be a supporter of the Talons since I have publicly criticized the group for their less than dismal performance over the past 20 years. My big Bro was the President of the Talons a few years before I attended NTSU. I tried to join the Talons but was turned down :disgust: No way you could find a more green blood than me. Am I bitter..YES. I am willing to put all of this behind me :flowers: and step up to the plate also.

Oh, I'm willing. I have PM'd mini_green_cooper offline and we are going to set something up. You are welcomed to join! Notice the dates I mentioned I was at NTSU. I think we know each other pretty well from back then....how's that beautiful new daughter of yours??? :D

"Probably wouldn't put in writing here if he didn't mean it. I certainly would like to be a supporter of the Talons since I have publicly criticized the group for their less than dismal performance over the past 20 years. My big Bro was the President of the Talons a few years before I attended NTSU. I tried to join the Talons but was turned down No way you could find a more green blood than me. Am I bitter..YES. I am willing to put all of this behind me and step up to the plate also."

Oh, I'm willing. I have PM'd mini_green_cooper offline and we are going to set something up. You are welcomed to join! Notice the dates I mentioned I was at NTSU. I think we know each other pretty well from back then....how's that beautiful new daughter of yours??? :D

The more the merrier for sure!!! Ya'll would probably know Sherman Swartz as well. He was around during that time and one time pres of Talons too. I hope he wasn't the one who turned you down tho :( You can PM me too or let greenexes help fill you in once we get things set up and going. Thanks for all the offer of help!

Kinda what i was wondering...

The recruitment committee has the responsibility to recruit and initiate all new members. This means organizing our rush events at the beginning of each semester, including Reption, and initiating new members after they have completed all requirements to become an active member.

I guess you have to rush like a frat and be cool enough to get in. :rolleyes:

That started about the time I got there. I was a little bewildered myself although I must admit at the time I didn't want to be in a Fraternity I wanted to be in a SPIRITed organization so I really wasn't too disapointed. I do feel that was about the same time the group went on the fast slope downhill. :shifty:

Count me in. Difficult to be part of UNT way out here in Lubbock but the post office can still deliver a check to the metroplex! My beautiful new daughter is doing great. Going home from the hospital today. Let the sleepless nights begin :D Of course that's not a problem for young guys like me :lol:

Count me in. Difficult to be part of UNT way out here in Lubbock but the post office can still deliver a check to the metroplex! My beautiful new daughter is doing great. Going home from the hospital today. Let the sleepless nights begin :D Of course that's not a problem for young guys like me :lol:

you get used to no sleep, kicks/knees/elbows in the jewels, and you'll learn to live without many other things. ;)

Congrats on the little lady.

That must be it. I guess I wasn't cool enough or good looking enough or maybe just a trouble maker. I know... maybe I made a specticle :geek: of myself yelling, screaming and jumping up and down at a football game! ;)

Haha, I have that same problem. They look at me like I'm crazy.

You, as often when commenting on Talons, couldn't be further from the truth. "Cool enough," your term, pretty much means you can demonstrate that you've paid attention and learned the history and traditions of the University over the semester and that you bring something to the organization other than being a bump on a log. The only folks I've seen that didn't get in over my 4 years (F03-S07) were the ones that could not demonstrate a knowledge of UNT (sub par performance when tested on the aforementioned history and traditions) and/or hardy showed up to NT athletic events and service projects.

My father was in Talons in 76-77. It seems that a true Talons reunion is in order.

You, as often when commenting on Talons, couldn't be further from the truth. "Cool enough," your term, pretty much means you can demonstrate that you've paid attention and learned the history and traditions of the University over the semester and that you bring something to the organization other than being a bump on a log. The only folks I've seen that didn't get in over my 4 years (F03-S07) were the ones that could not demonstrate a knowledge of UNT (sub par performance when tested on the aforementioned history and traditions) and/or hardy showed up to NT athletic events and service projects.

My father was in Talons in 76-77. It seems that a true Talons reunion is in order.

however, there was a time indeed that it was more like a frat with high standards, applications and they did turn people away (which does seem hard to believe) for whatever reasons I do not know. It also was men only for the longest time. I was a part of the largest pledge group in the 80's when it started an uphill climb but then went down hill fast again. Kinda lost track of where they stand now but seems like it's improved.

No arguement here. I am talking about the early 80s. Obviously a University Campus is dynamic and things change rapidly. However, with the changes that took place in the late 70's the organization has never been the same. I encourage everyone to look at the Talons (talk to alums etc) of the 70s or other groups ie Texas Tech Saddle Tramps, Texas Cowboys, Oklahoma etc. These groups don't compare to the Talons. I am willing to do whatever I can to promote , encourage and support the Talons as much as I can so that the Talons can be compared to the Saddle Tramps.