At The End Of The Game

Charlie NT 73

Dear Coach Dodge:

Welcome to college football. An Oklahoma defensive end wasn't flagged for decking UT's Colt McCoy on a play that had been whistled dead. If you can't take watching college football from the sideline, I suggest you listen to Colorado coach Dan Hawkins and take his advice "This is Divsion I-A football!" And, if you can't hack it, "...go play intermurals, brother!"

Here's a suggestion...teach your offensive linemen to block as well as you've taught your QB's to throw the -2 to 2 yard pass play. They'll be All-Americans if they get as efficient at blocking as your QBs are at throwing passes behind and at the line of scrimmage.

Pure genius.

Love,

The Fake Lonnie Finch

P.S. - Because your punter seems to be only player who gives you a shot at not screwing up, why not use him during a game to pin people further back in their own territory. Oh, yeah...the 73 yard QB option run for a TD. Never mind. Go for every fourth down. It's a brilliant strategy to keep your defense off the field. I get it now.

Dear Coach Dodge:

Welcome to college football. An Oklahoma defensive end wasn't flagged for decking UT's Colt McCoy on a play that had been whistled dead. If you can't take watching college football from the sideline, I suggest you listen to Colorado coach Dan Hawkins and take his advice "This is Divsion I-A football!" And, if you can't hack it, "...go play intermurals, brother!"

Here's a suggestion...teach your offensive linemen to block as well as you've taught your QB's to throw the -2 to 2 yard pass play. They'll be All-Americans if they get as efficient at blocking as your QBs are at throwing passes behind and at the line of scrimmage.

Pure genius.

Love,

The Fake Lonnie Finch

P.S. - Because your punter seems to be only player who gives you a shot at not screwing up, why not use him during a game to pin people further back in their own territory. Oh, yeah...the 73 yard QB option run for a TD. Never mind. Go for every fourth down. It's a brilliant strategy to keep your defense off the field. I get it now.

You're right Lonnie, Dodge shouldn't stand up for his players.

Dear Coach Dodge:

No, there was no flag BUT Mack was screaming from the sidelines when that happened and giving the officials an earful. I guess he's not used to college football either....

Dear Coach Dodge:

Pure genius.

Love,

The Fake Lonnie Finch

Here's to biting my tongue from resisting the urge to say what I want.

Pure brilliance. Regardless of the level of football, this was illegal. The NFL would fine and suspend a player for that action. If Coach Hawkins made the above statement in response to a late, cheap shot on a QB then he's a moron.

Adding to your brilliance, please explain how NT throws for 600 plus yards in one game, 384 in the last game with -2 and 2 yard pass plays.

Sure, Harbaugh caught lightening in a bottle Saturday and beat USC, but the situations are entirely different. Many first year coaches struggle especially when installing a passing offense with players recruited for a running game. In case you haven't noticed, Dodge's offense routinely calls for 4 WR's. Were you aware that there were exactly 3 on scholarship when he arrived?

Go pick a team with a female kicker to support and a fanbase that enjoys your lawer-esque rants.

Damn - again, talking without knowing the truth. There was time on the clock (6 seconds) and the Cajun players were all on the field celebrating. While we were not going to win the game, they cannot just storm the field without taking a knee. Dodge was screaming about that, asking the refs to do their job and let the kids finish the game before the party started. Geez, you guys are really hard on Todge. Way to go - maybe we can make another coach bitter about North Texas!

Dear Coach Dodge:

Pure genius.

Love,

The Fake Lonnie Finch

This has nothing to do with what level of football you play at. A cheap shot, an illegal hit, or whatever is STILL a cheap shot, an illegal hit and ALWAYS bad sportsmanship no matter the level of play. Now, I love a good hit that levels a guy...but hits outside of sportsmanlike conduct are exactly that. You take away sportsmanship in a contact sport like football and you might as well tell our guys to go on the field and start a fist fight.

Damn - again, talking without knowing the truth. There was time on the clock (6 seconds) and the Cajun players were all on the field celebrating. While we were not going to win the game, they cannot just storm the field without taking a knee. Dodge was screaming about that, asking the refs to do their job and let the kids finish the game before the party started. Geez, you guys are really hard on Todge. Way to go - maybe we can make another coach bitter about North Texas!

Sorry for my initial post, guess that makes sense but the announcers mentioned Dodge giving them an earful late in the fourth after Vizza got hit 2-3 straight plays somewhat late, figured he kept going after the game.

It is nice to have a coach with some fire.

It is nice to have a coach with some fire.

I second that. The current coaching staff is more involved with the players on the sidelines, letting them know when they make a good (or bad) play on the field. From what I can tell, Dodge rarely seems to "lay" in to a player when they make a mistake, he merely pulls them aside, explains the error and moves on.

If there is one of Dodge's mottoes that I wish more people tried to follow, it's Respect the Individual.

Edited by UNTFan23

Dear Coach Dodge:

Pure genius.

Love,

The Fake Lonnie Finch

Due to the new censorship of this board i can't say what I truly want to about the spare post above....

Dear Crying Fans:

As others have done over the past three seasons, PM me your malicious b.s. It doesn't matter to me. I won't respond, but it might be cathartic for you. And, it won't change the fact that in college football people are going to hit hard - and yes, sometimes after the whistle. And, sometimes, it's not going to be called.

Those aren't high school referees out there, and Dodge apparently needs to add that to his learning curve as well. The list grows week after week.

Love Always,

TFLF

Dear Coach Dodge:

Pure genius.

Love,

The Fake Lonnie Finch

:o

Dear Crying Fans:

As others have done over the past three seasons, PM me your malicious b.s. It doesn't matter to me. I won't respond, but it might be cathartic for you. And, it won't change the fact that in college football people are going to hit hard - and yes, sometimes after the whistle. And, sometimes, it's not going to be called.

Those aren't high school referees out there, and Dodge apparently needs to add that to his learning curve as well. The list grows week after week.

Love Always,

TFLF

You are a freaking idiot. Put your money where your mouth is and go to the coach's show tonight and address this with Dodge himself or head on over to the AC and request a sit down.

Hitting hard is one thing, but blatantly after the whistle is ridiculous on any level.

You're right, they aren't high school officials they are D1A officials with more experience and should call late hits regardless. Typical lawyer. You've got a b.s. arguement for everything on here.

Dear Crying Fans:

Love Always,

TFLF

I REALLY think it should have been a flag. It should have been a flag in the Texas/OU game. It was kind of obvious, but I can take a no call, and so can Vizza.

It is Dodge's job however to get completely irate at something like that, much like Mac Brown. Mac Brown has been around the game for a while, and he was livid about it. And, I'm pretty sure he's seen a few big hits. Big kudos to Dodge for showing some emotion. And even more Kudos to Dodge for keeping the playbook strapped to his wrist instead of stuffing it down his pants.

Sorry but when you cut block the D ends a couple times during the game the QB will always become free meat. You can't start something you can't finish.

So an illegal play is the rightful response to a legal play? I don't agree with the chop block, but it is legal.

Edited by UNTLifer

The flip side of this argument, Lynch, is that Dodge has been caught flaming an official once now and so he's getting the "welcome to college football, idiot" flame. Isn't it reasonable to believe he's bitten his tongue on some - if not many - occasions? Additionally, I can't think of any respectable coach who has never been caught yelling at an official; that includes Hawkins.

this thread is stupid. still love you, Charlie. And your premature line breaks. :thumbsup:

Dear Crying Fans:

Love Always,

TFLF

TFLF,

I have yet to understand why you post here. If you know how much everyone looks at most of your opinions as BS or ridiculous, and folks PM you to tell you this and you flaunt the fact that you don't answer, why do you waste your time? Its obvious that you should look at other endeavors for your internet postings. I actually am telling you this because I think you are hitting your head against a wall that, quite frankly, wouldn't be worth it too most. Maybe you like being a contrarian, but it says alot about someone who comes around when pretty much no one agrees with or defends your posts.

TFLF,

I have yet to understand why you post here. If you know how much everyone looks at most of your opinions as BS or ridiculous, and folks PM you to tell you this and you flaunt the fact that you don't answer, why do you waste your time? Its obvious that you should look at other endeavors for your internet postings. I actually am telling you this because I think you are hitting your head against a wall that, quite frankly, wouldn't be worth it too most. Maybe you like being a contrarian, but it says alot about someone who comes around when pretty much no one agrees with or defends your posts.

I don't look at most of his opinions as BS or ridiculous. I've told him so privately in the past, and I'll say so now publicly.

I sure don't agree with everything the guy says, but I am glad to have him on the board. Even when I don't agree with him, I can appreciate something in the reasoning behind his posts. Which is more than I can say for a LOT of people on this board, who lack anything resembling reasoning or logical thought behind their posts.

Hang in there, Fake Lonnie. This, too, shall pass.

I don't look at most of his opinions as BS or ridiculous. I've told him so privately in the past, and I'll say so now publicly.

I sure don't agree with everything the guy says, but I am glad to have him on the board. Even when I don't agree with him, I can appreciate something in the reasoning behind his posts. Which is more than I can say for a LOT of people on this board, who lack anything resembling reasoning or logical thought behind their posts.

Hang in there, Fake Lonnie. This, too, shall pass.

I agree with you. Finch keeps this board balanced. :D

One can only take so many "dODge bAll pWNs yoU, mEnDOZA dESErves a STAtue, OMG for teh wIN!1!!1" posts.

:P:santa:

Edited by Got5onIt

I agree with you. Finch keeps this board balanced. :D

One can only take so many "dODge bAll pWNs yoU, mEnDOZA dESErves a STAtue, OMG for teh wIN!1!!1" posts.

:P:santa:

yep. this board sure is full of those.

there are a few things Lonnie says with which i agree.

however, for the most part i think he just likes being argumentative, and while he COULD CHOOSE to present his arguments in a straightforward and reasonable manner, it's rarely the case. most of the time it appears his goal is simply to incite the overly optimistic crowd.

to the point at hand. every coach everywhere argues with the refs. they get on them about late hits, bad calls, good calls, etc. good coaches, bad coaches, NFL coaches, Div. 1-A coaches, Div. 1-AA coaches, high school and pee-wee coaches. thus, his argument here is pretty stupid, and should probably just be ignored. don't feed the troll.

There's nothing really passing, Greek. You are one of many who has written in support of me in the past and present. It's because you and me and others aren't cultists for one coach or one player. We just want the school we graduated from to win...or at least compete consistently.

The comments this week is just the same old b.s. from a segment of our fans who have for years and years tolerated bare stupidity from a number of coaches, athletic directors, and administrators. It doesn't take deep research to look at the DI college football landscape and see many once-downtrodden (or non-existent programs) doing well while we flounder.

Kansas State, Rutgers, South Florida, Tulsa, and on and on and on, on, and on, the beat don't stop until the break of dawn.

Crappy high school stadium redone (Tulsa)...former minor league baseball stadiums revamped (Louisville)...new stadiums built from the ground up for run-of-the-mill public commuter schools (Central Florida). BCS conference invites to crappy programs (Baylor and Texas Tech), brand spanking new programs (South Florida), former I-AAs (Connecticut), and our former Missouri Valley Conference mates (Louisville).

The only certainty is that we'll still have a dilapidated football stadium and we'll still have one of the lowest paying coaching jobs in the country. Thereby, virtually guaranteeing that we'll be forced to hire high school coaches - as we've done twice now since 1990. We play at the same place where defunct Wichita State used to come play us, and we sit in the same crappy stands we sat in for those "glorious" MVC days as well as the stupid dip into I-AA.

This new high school coach happened to come from nearby, so people on the board are a bit more touchy about him. I don't really care. If the man says he's proud of bringing his friends along to the coaching staff that has created a defense worse than SMU and ULL field, you have to take him at his word and invite the possibility that he's an idiot. If the man says he did the right thing going for 2 points in the second quarter of a 14-12 football game against one of the worst football schools in America, you have to take him at his word and consider that maybe he's not what everyone cracked him up to be.

The reality is, no one outside of the Metroplex really fears Todd Dodge. Sure, coaches at Coppell and Grapevine might cower, but not DI coaches like Bob Stoops and Howard Schnellenberger or Houston Nutt or Ricky Bustle or any other longtime college coach who has seen so many variations of the "spread" offense over the past 30 years that they draw up plans to defense it in their sleep. They also don't cower at a defensive coaching staff who continually doesn't change.

Like OU's Malcolm Kelly said, "They didn't give him (Bradford) any different looks all game."

Excellent. Just fabulous. Other team's players even recognize the defensive nut doesn't even have to be cracked because the delicious pulpy meat is already out of the shell just waiting to be eaten.

But, does it phase Dodge? No. Not even a little. Proud of Mendoza, he just stands there, stone-faced on the sidelines, signaling in plays like a third base coach, checking his wrist band from time to time. Oblivious, apparently, that there even is a defensive unit and special teams unit that also need coaching.

It doesn't matter. I won't drink the kool-aid. There's only so many times you can think things will change. Currently, the only thing that has changed is that we pass more. The results are the same. What used to be our rock solid foundation - defense and special teams - is gone and, apparently, forgotten. As long as one of the two QBs throws for 300+ yards, Todd Dodge is doing his job. As long as we stave off being dropped back down a level, Rick Villarreal is doing his job.

Their message to us - shut up and give us money. Never mind that we don't have or use the political clout or will lesser or equal schools in other places did to build their stadiums and programs once we have the money, anyway. Be happy with our presidents who have no idea how help the athletic department nor the will. Never mind all that. Just renew your season tickets - with an added donation for the best seats - and keep your opinions to yourself.

Sorry. Having seen Tulsa go through it while I was on that campus, watching in disbelief as a program with five full years of existence under its belt get into the Big East...at some point you just have to admit that the people we have in place simply have no damn clue how to do it. It doesn't matter that they're nice. It doesn't matter that you may have personally met them, shaken their hand, and made unimportant small talk with them. They just don't know how to do it.

They don't. Their predecessors didn't. That just the way it is. Ineffectiveness is ineffectiveness no matter how you slice it.

Here's to at least getting up on I-AA Western Kentucky and FIU...if they are still fielding a team come December 1.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch