Anyone With Stones Going To Sweetwater?

stebo

I can't make it to Denton, but I am told that they have an open mike for these weekly radio shows for fans to ask questions. Any of the fans that are completely confused about sticking with the "Dan Wagon" over throwing Vizza in willing to go ask the tough questions (maybe bring the stats with them to show that some homework was done?) I would really like to hear why the coach is being so stubborn on this one. I liken this "QB controversy" to Bridges and Hall. Hall just got the whole team to play better. When Bridges was in, we looked terrible. Hall came in and "commanded" the field and both the offense and defense responded to that. I don't think it is Danny per say, he has just been "ruined" by hanging out with Dickey for too many years. It is time for new blood.

I can't make it to Denton, but I am told that they have an open mike for these weekly radio shows for fans to ask questions. Any of the fans that are completely confused about sticking with the "Dan Wagon" over throwing Vizza in willing to go ask the tough questions (maybe bring the stats with them to show that some homework was done?) I would really like to hear why the coach is being so stubborn on this one. I liken this "QB controversy" to Bridges and Hall. Hall just got the whole team to play better. When Bridges was in, we looked terrible. Hall came in and "commanded" the field and both the offense and defense responded to that. I don't think it is Danny per say, he has just been "ruined" by hanging out with Dickey for too many years. It is time for new blood.

Stebo. To heck with the QB "controversy". The BIG QUESTION is when are we going to get a 1A defensive coordinator? Vince Young could be QB and we'd be losing with our current defense.

Four games into the first season and we've got a stubborn coach, QB controversy, and DC that understands only the simplest of highschool defensive coverage schemes. Wouldn't the stats just back up Meager? I'm afraid whoever steps up to deliver these hard-hitting questions is going to look like Mr. Kneejerk-Overreaction-UnreasonableExpectation fan after TD delivers his even-keeled response.

Edited by SLCoutsider

Four games into the first season and we've got a stubborn coach, QB controversy, and DC that understands only the simplest of highschool defensive coverage schemes. Wouldn't the stats just back up Meager? I'm afraid whoever steps up to deliver these hard-hitting questions is going to look like Mr. Kneejerk-Overreaction-UnreasonableExpectation fan after TD delivers his even-keeled response.

Unfortunately we can see that TD is, in fact, a mortal. Who would throw a pass when they were 1st and goal? Wouldn't a couple running plays make a little sense to somebody? No, we have to give the Hogs one more chance to score. Sure, time was a factor. I am pretty sure we had at least 1 time out left. I can't really remember, it's all just a blur now.

:blowup:

Unfortunately we can see that TD is, in fact, a mortal. Who would throw a pass when they were 1st and goal? Wouldn't a couple running plays make a little sense to somebody? No, we have to give the Hogs one more chance to score. Sure, time was a factor. I am pretty sure we had at least 1 time out left. I can't really remember, it's all just a blur now.

:blowup:

I will give TD this much. He will do it his way, regardless. You definitely have to like that.

I will give TD this much. He will do it his way, regardless. You definitely have to like that.

So did Bill Parcells and DD and look where they are now, you sometimes have to change your mentality to remain successful. This will be a wonderful ride by the end, but lord these pot holes are huge right now.

Edited by untbowler

So did Bill Parcells and DD and look where they are now, you sometimes have to change your mentality to remain successful. This will be a wonderful ride by the end, but lord these pot holes are huge right now.

Beat me to it. I was going to add that doing it his way, regardless, was what made Dickey relocate to Utah.

I was expecting to read that you wanting to take a page from Marshall where they quadrupled the normal crowd for the coach's radio show at a local restaurant when a group showed up wearing "I Believe" buttons or from ASU where our fans held a tailgate party of a practice and hung a banner reading "We Believe" during one of Roberts early slumps.

I was expecting to read that you wanting to take a page from Marshall where they quadrupled the normal crowd for the coach's radio show at a local restaurant when a group showed up wearing "I Believe" buttons or from ASU where our fans held a tailgate party of a practice and hung a banner reading "We Believe" during one of Roberts early slumps.

Didn't you guys do something similar during the basketball season to show your support for Dickey Nutt? :rolleyes:

Let the man get his new system in place. Y'all need to go watch Hoosiers again. :)

I have no problem with TD's offensive system. We have seen glimpses of what it can and will do.

I do have a problem with a defense that doesn't utilize the talent it has and puts the players in a position to fail.

I have no problem with TD's offensive system. We have seen glimpses of what it can and will do.

I do have a problem with a defense that doesn't utilize the talent it has and puts the players in a position to fail.

Completely agree. With the exception of the QB play, Dodge is getting the offense to do wonders out there. The defense is a completely different situation. IF they don't make changes on the defensive side of the ball soon, this team may only win 1 or 2 games this season at best, and with no changes on defense, that may be optimistic. The fact that we are hearing very little from Dodge about any defensive concerns seems to tell me that the coaching staff is content on doing what they have been doing, for the rest of the season. As far as the QB situation goes, Dodge is completely content listening to his comments, in keeping Meager the starter.

The fact that we are hearing very little from Dodge about any defensive concerns seems to tell me that the coaching staff is content on doing what they have been doing, for the rest of the season.

Don't take his silence to mean he is accepting of the results. I'm sure Dodge has addressed this (assumption), and would hope he doesn't air his issues publicly ala Mike Leach.

AGREE!!!! Our offense is acceptable. It is still a growing process that needs time and players that more suitable to the scheme. I think the offense (even with Meager) is something most would say they are pleased with so far.

But this defense will not work. There have been missed tackles and that always hurts, but you have to have the players in the right positions and coverage and I just don't see that happening.

Edited by GreenTiger

Don't take his silence to mean he is accepting of the results. I'm sure Dodge has addressed this (assumption), and would hope he doesn't air his issues publicly ala Mike Leach.

I guess what I mean by "hearing little" is that I have listened to the four post game comments from him and when he talks about things that need work on the team, I hear very little about what he thinks about the defensive side of the ball. He doesn't need to go on a Mike Leach tirade, but I would like to hear a little bit more about the defensive side of the ball, because before the season he told us that the defense would be this teams highlight and right now it is far, far from the highlight. In fact, this defense right now has to rank as one of the worst defenses in school history. I just can't get over the fact that we gave up 500 + yards of offense to a RUNNING team on saturday night. Yes, they are an SEC team, but their only win was over Troy, which scored 26 points on them.

Completely agree. With the exception of the QB play, Dodge is getting the offense to do wonders out there. The defense is a completely different situation. IF they don't make changes on the defensive side of the ball soon, this team may only win 1 or 2 games this season at best, and with no changes on defense, that may be optimistic. The fact that we are hearing very little from Dodge about any defensive concerns seems to tell me that the coaching staff is content on doing what they have been doing, for the rest of the season. As far as the QB situation goes, Dodge is completely content listening to his comments, in keeping Meager the starter.

I doubt any of the coaching staff is content with the defense. Just because they came from high school doesn't mean they are naive. Mendoza probably has a bad case of ulcers and high blood pressure right now. He's probably taking this harder than anyone else. My guess is that it's such a sore spot, TD doesn't want to openly criticize or call out the defensive problems yet.

I doubt any of the coaching staff is content with the defense. Just because they came from high school doesn't mean they are naive. Mendoza probably has a bad case of ulcers and high blood pressure right now. He's probably taking this harder than anyone else. My guess is that it's such a sore spot, TD doesn't want to openly criticize or call out the defensive problems yet.

You know, I might believe this to be the case, but my next question then would be - WHY NOT CHANGE SOMETHING? SOMETHING, anything, just show us that you are trying something new. I don't care if this coaching staff came from pee-wee league, make changes. Sorry, but I don't care that they came from high school. All coaches start out somewhere, and this coaching staff just happened to come from the high school ranks.

I agree. The key to Dodge's success at SLC, which got him hired for this job, was his willingness to change things often on the fly. I mean, look back at SLC's offense the last several years during that win streak. If there was a three and out...they went to the I. If that didn't work, they went single wing. If they had a bad week (under 500 yards of offense) one week, they spent the next week changing things rather than get better at what they do. We haven't seen that kind of adjustment yet at NT, and I don't understand why.

No one has the stones to ask TD any kind of question regarding his D-coordinator. That ain't going to happen. He is also going to call Meager his guy. I am concerned about moral and whether the team wants Meager to be their guy??? I am also concerned with the Defense and whether they believe in Mendoza.

Edited by newuntfan07

No one has the stones to ask TD any kind of question regarding his D-coordinator. That ain't going to happen. He is also going to call Meager his guy. I am concerned about moral and whether the team wants Meager to be their guy??? I am also concerned with the Defense and whether they believe in Mendoza.

You don't have to ask about Mendoza directly, just ask the question referring to the defense. If you go to that tysports blog, they did a good comparrison of the defense between last year and this year....they could probably do it again for the first 4 games.....give Dodge these numbers along with his statement before the season about the defense being the strong part of the team.....of course, I am not sure I could do that either, but I have to work, so I guess that is a mute point.

I'll be at Sweetwater this evening, but it won't be to ask questions about the QB or the goal line play call or the defense....it will be to support Coach Dodge and the team. Tough deal coming in to a program like UNT's under Dickey the last couple of years...heck, I don't think Stoops even applied for the job or Mack Brown either...or TCU's Patterson....you know what? We now have the next Patterson, Stoops, Brown...just give Dodge some time.

I think we need to do a "Marshall" thing and show up with "I BELIEVE" buttons...great idea...where do we get them? Who in their right mind, expected UNT to be 4-0 at this point in the season? The "experts" sure didn't as we have been underdogs for every game INCLUDING SMU and Fla Atlantic (I thought we could beat

both of those teams)...but, the SMU game was a really fun game to watch and I got every penny of my entertainment dollar in that one, and I rode the Exes bus to OU and have to say...other than the final score...my entertainment dollars were well spent enjoying a great Staurday with the Mean Green!

Can't say, even when we won, the same thing about the last two seasons...just wasn't fun and the price was too steep for the $$$$$ spent.

It will be great to look back and say we were there "when it all began"....see you at SWEETWATER this evening!

I'll be at Sweetwater this evening, but it won't be to ask questions about the QB or the goal line play call or the defense....it will be to support Coach Dodge and the team. Tough deal coming in to a program like UNT's under Dickey the last couple of years...heck, I don't think Stoops even applied for the job or Mack Brown either...or TCU's Patterson....you know what? We now have the next Patterson, Stoops, Brown...just give Dodge some time.

I think we need to do a "Marshall" thing and show up with "I BELIEVE" buttons...great idea...where do we get them? Who in their right mind, expected UNT to be 4-0 at this point in the season? The "experts" sure didn't as we have been underdogs for every game INCLUDING SMU and Fla Atlantic (I thought we could beat

both of those teams)...but, the SMU game was a really fun game to watch and I got every penny of my entertainment dollar in that one, and I rode the Exes bus to OU and have to say...other than the final score...my entertainment dollars were well spent enjoying a great Staurday with the Mean Green!

Can't say, even when we won, the same thing about the last two seasons...just wasn't fun and the price was too steep for the $$$$$ spent.

It will be great to look back and say we were there "when it all began"....see you at SWEETWATER this evening!

Nice post KRAM1. Couldn't have said it better. I wish I could be there in person tonight, but I'll be listening on the radio. And I'll be waiting to hear someone with "stones" get up and call TD out for not doing anything about the defense. Somehow, I just got to believe that he and Mendoza have a better handle on the defensive problems than any fan.

I'll be waiting to hear someone with "stones" get up and call TD out for not doing anything about the defense. Somehow, I just got to believe that he and Mendoza have a better handle on the defensive problems than any fan.

If someone DOES HAVE a handle on our defensive problems we ARE really in serious trouble !