Mgn: Mean Green's Slow Start Will Test New Fans

Cerebus

I will always remember seeing JaQuay set the school rushing record... in front of 800 people. I literally had to run down a few bleachers, and another fan had to run up a few rows, for us to high five each other.

I have to admit, that this made me laugh a little bit at just how hard it was for you to get a high-five from another fan!! That must have been one sparse crowd. What game was this and why was there such a small crowd?

I will always remember seeing JaQuay set the school rushing record... in front of 800 people. I literally had to run down a few bleachers, and another fan had to run up a few rows, for us to high five each other.

I have to admit, that this made me laugh a little bit at just how hard it was for you to get a high-five from another fan!! That must have been one sparse crowd. What game was this and why was there such a small crowd?

It was the last game of the 2000 season. It was our last year in the Big West, the team's record was 2-8 at the time. JaQuay ran 40+ times for 200+ yards. You can probably guess the name of the head coach.

It was the last game of the 2000 season. It was our last year in the Big West, the team's record was 2-8 at the time. JaQuay ran 40+ times for 200+ yards. You can probably guess the name of the head coach.

Was it a certain Coach Ditka? Were we playing a hurricane?

It's funny how many people here think Dodge is above any type of criticism. You're "against the mighty Dodge if you question any of his decisions!". "You secretly want Dickey back if you don't follow like sheep!". "Give him a break, this is Dickey's team. The first year means 0-12 is perfectly OK."

I do wonder where this notion comes from. No one is jumping ship for sure.

The best was how many people were doing it by the end... it was all the rage.

Ahhh the names. It was fun, and funny to read.

nmsugame2000.jpg

My estimates were between 600 and 900 fans in the stadium, and that included the band. I'll never forget that day. 24 months later, same two teams, same time of the year, but this time with a conference championship on the line and a trip to the New Orleans Bowl and you got:

nmsuvictory.jpg

24K plus.

Rick

My estimates were between 600 and 900 fans in the stadium, and that included the band. I'll never forget that day. 24 months later, same two teams, same time of the year, but this time with a conference championship on the line and a trip to the New Orleans Bowl and you got:

24K plus.

Rick

I have only been a Mean Green fan since I started school in 97, and in that time period those two games are the High and Low of Mean Green Fan Support. Even though we nearly sold out Fouts when creamed Baylor, a lot of people came out just to see a B12 team. The UNT/NMSU game was all about North Texas.

nmsugame2000.jpg

nmsuvictory.jpg

24K plus.

Rick

Just out of curiosity, what was running through your mind when you were watching this game with 700 other people in a 30K stadium? I ask this ebcause I always enjoy your responses and your knowledge of UNT. Also, did you ever get close to the point of thinking that we weren't gonna make it at the D-IA level back then? I had heard it was gonna be real close for the univesrity to keep the program going if our move up failed--but that was under Hurley's reign.