Unt-smu Could Resume Series

ADLER

I think it would be great to play them every year too indefinately. They should make/bill it as a grudge match and play for some kind of local prized bragging trophy - like the silver boot does for the Rangers/Astros. Something indicative of the the two schools i.e. "The Prized Fry"...."The Hayden Cup"......Crap, I dunno...Im open to ideas...

Ahh, the kids will always tell the tales of this year's Silver Boot win - it really salvaged the season for the Rangers and got the fans involved.

I love how this number is getting bigger every day.

We were allotted 4,000 tickets for our section. I will generously estimate another 500 scattered throughout the stadium. Still, it was a very respectable showing on our part.

Not everyone goes through our athletic department to buy tickets. 6-7K seems about right to me.

As far as "no one else is going to travel to SMU that well" bunk that is just not the case. SMU does a good job of scheduling regional opponents that travel as good if not better than UNT to Ford-TCU, Baylor, Tech, and Okie State come to mind. Their attendance drops when they start conference play. All of that beng said, UNT brings alot more to the tabe than many of the OOC teams they have scheduled in the past.

Edited by GreenFlag

I hope that we are able to continue our series with SMU. It'd be nice to play them every year.

It'll also be nice to start getting some teams into Denton, whose fans will fill up area hotels. Teams like Okie State, and Kansas State come to mind. I think a lot of the Navy fans this year, will be out of towners. (I know we have K State coming here in 2010).

I guess I'd just like to see if the businesses here in Denton, would ever recognize the greatness of having college sports in the town. And, if we can start scheduling teams who bring a lot of their own out-of-town fans to our city that might help.

Of course, being Denton....you never know.

Edited by SUMG

Also, I'm not terribly pleased with scheduling @ LSU 2 years in a row.

Donate $1,000,000 to the AD and I am sure they would happy to change their schedule.

I love this type of retort. <_< Miss the point much? Why not schedule a team that will still pay well, and a team that still gives a reasonable chance to win. Examples: Texas A&M, OK State, Colorado, Miami (oh wait...we dropped them to schedule LSU) and countless others.

Why keep sending our team to open the season against a perennial top 5 program in one of the hardest venues in college football to get a win?

I love this type of retort. <_< Miss the point much? Why not schedule a team that will still pay well, and a team that still gives a reasonable chance to win. Examples: Texas A&M, OK State, Colorado, Miami (oh wait...we dropped them to schedule LSU) and countless others.

Why keep sending our team to open the season against a perennial top 5 program in one of the hardest venues in college football to get a win?

Schedules are made several years in advance. The teams you mentioned could be in the top 5 in the next 5 years. When you play the money games those are the chances you take. I am not a fan of the games either but they pay the bills.

Guest GrayEagleOne

SMU should want us to return, but I am not so sure why we should be so excited about bringing SMU and all of their 1,000 traveling fans back to Denton.

Sooner or later we are all going to wake up and realize that SMU really doesnt bring anything to the table other than talk of ancient glories and unwarranted attitude.

Then they just brought us out. We had 25,000+ for that game, our largest turnout last season by far.

Guest GrayEagleOne

If it is a 2 for 1 with K-State what wasn't the 2005 game part of that contract.

Because this was a different contract made in, I believe, 2006. If not, it was earlier this year.

Yes, but I would say any team with a name will draw at Fouts. Navy will break all previous records. It just makes me a little sick that SMU has to rely on a hand full of OOC teams to pad thier attendance figures...and unlike us, its not because the Pony fans come out of the wood work to see Tech or NT, its because their OOC opponents actually show up in droves.

Again, I think SMU brings nothing to the table, they are like a parasite in pennyloafers.

Then they just brought us out. We had 25,000+ for that game, our largest turnout last season by far.

Guest GrayEagleOne

Yes, but I would say any team with a name will draw at Fouts. Navy will break all previous records. It just makes me a little sick that SMU has to rely on a hand full of OOC teams to pad thier attendance figures...and unlike us, its not because the Pony fans come out of the wood work to see Tech or NT, its because their OOC opponents actually show up in droves.

Again, I think SMU brings nothing to the table, they are like a parasite in pennyloafers.

I take that as a no on renewing the series.

Yes, Navy should break all previous records...but they certainly wouldn't if Darrell Dickey was still the coach. It could also be that is part of the reason for SMU's non-support of their team; it is a protest against Phil Bennett. We all know that one winning season (and that at only 6-5) in the last twenty is the main reason for their empty stands.