Smu Vs. Tech

Smitty

SMU is really pushing the "Pony ^" marketing tag. There are a lot of white "Pony ^" t-shirts in the stands, and the commentators mentioned that SMU spent a lot of money on this campaign.

Willis looks okay, but he pulls the ball down kind of quick when he drops back to pass. He's doing too much scrambling and he's taking a pounding. Its only the first quarter and he has taken some solid shots.

Now that was genius. SMU's defense audibled to an all-out blitz, and one of the SMU defenders started waiving his arms and screaming "ALL OUT! ALL OUT!" so loud that it was easy to hear on TV. I guess Tech's offense heard it too - they immediately threw a little quick pass over the middle where the defense had vacated and it went the distance for a touchdown.

Might want to keep those signals to yourselves, fellas.

14-3, Tech, early second quarter.

Edited by Smitty

SMU isn't getting much pass rush against that huge Tech offensive line. Credit to Tech, no criticism of SMU. SMU looks okay. They've got some speed.

But the Mustangs gave away the ALL OUT! blitz again! Why are they screaming ALL OUT? Couldn't they come up with a better signal, one that's not so obvious to the opponent? That play set up a touchdown. 21-6 at halftime.

Working behind that massive offensive line, Harrell is going to have a big year for Tech.

Edited by Smitty

Tech is full of underclassmen, and they're moving the ball essentially at will through the air. Harrell is on pace to for 500 at the half.

SMU is getting next to nothing by way of pressure, and their coverage seems beyond soft.

On offense, the Ponies only halfway decent weapon so far had been DeMyron Martin. Bear in mind the Tech defense was bad last year, and supposedly even more questionable this year... Willis looks to have happy feet like DM usually shows...

Oh, and even some of the SMU COACHES are wearing the "Pony up" hats... which is a little unstable.

Edited by CaribbeanGreen

Willis looks the way he did in our game last year, and they don't seem to have a real coherent offensive game plan. It looks like their defense can be beat with an up-tempo passing game, but I don't know if we have the personnel to pull it off. Harrell gets in trouble when he holds the ball too long, but he's killing them with the slants.

It's driving me crazy to see our score scroll across the bottom every 5 minutes.

i can't see the game but SMU has been outgained 283 to 117 and they are looking good?

47 passing yards for smu.

SMU has looked okay. They looked better early in the game, they're playing hard, and they had two decent drives but couldn't finish either and settled for field goals. They do have some speed, but they're out-matched. I think this game is more a case of how good Tech looks than how bad SMU looks. Harrell just stands behind that massive line all day, and SMU doesn't have the muscle or speed to create pressure.

But screaming ALL OUT just before running an all-out blitz - TWICE - is a shocking mistake by the Mustangs.

Willis looks the way he did in our game last year, and they don't seem to have a real coherent offensive game plan. It looks like their defense can be beat with an up-tempo passing game, but I don't know if we have the personnel to pull it off. Harrell gets in trouble when he holds the ball too long, but he's killing them with the slants.

It's driving me crazy to see our score scroll across the bottom every 5 minutes.

Agreed. They've had some dropped passes and seem to be struggling to find something that works.

As I'm watching this game I can't believe the caliber of athletes that OU had... combine Tech and SMU and you still couldn't match the athletes OU has. OU will do some special things this year.

Texas better get ready for that game.

28-6 now. Harrell is cutting the Ponies to ribbons. The only way SMU can get any pressure is with the blitz, and Harrell sees it coming and finds the outlet receiver for big plays.

As I'm watching this game I can't believe the caliber of athletes that OU had... combine Tech and SMU and you still couldn't match the athletes OU has. OU will do some special things this year.

OU is a true powerhouse.....OU, UT, USC, FL etc they will always have athletes that are just flat out better than everybody. Thats just not the starting 11 on each side but every bench player as well. These schools are just a factory of unbelievable talent.

Well, by score it looks like the ponies are doing better against TT than we did against OU. However, TT is no OU.

I will say that we will have to play A LOT better to beat SMU, though. They have certainly done enough thus far in this game to make me nervous. But, I do think that if we can get the offense going, and the defense plays better than we do have a shot at it.

Make it 35-6, late third. SMU's early offensive success is gone, and their defense is getting worn out.

Tough way to start a season full of high expectations. Almost feel sorry for them. Almost. Okay, not even a little bit.

Tech is laying some real shots on the Ponies.

Edited by Smitty

So...tell me what happened to the exciting QB that rang up 29 TD's??? :P

Long, tough, frustrating day for Willis. They might want to get him out of there before he gets hurt. This one is over, and he's taken some punishment.

It will be absolutely fascinating to see how UNT and SMU come back from games in which they were physically dominated.

Oh, shot of the crowd - or what's left. 10:55 to go and a significant portion of the SMU fans have split. Pony up, huh?

Edited by Smitty

Willis hardly ever looks at more than 1 WR. He gets happy feet and either does not let or does not have the time for the WRs to run the full route. Looks like he has no confidence in his OL ( don't know if I would either)

If PB ever puts together a game plan, SMU could be good. Why D-Martin doesn't get 20-25 carries is beyond me. The guy is a stud.

WRs dropped too many balls.

Kicker looks solid.

D-Line not getting any pressure on Tech.

CBs playing too far off WR of Tech

I didn't think we could beat SMU this year while in transition. If SMU plays lackluster again on a short rest , we should prevail. If we do PB should be gone before the year is up.