Another Shot At Nt Law School Funding?

adman

Intersting article from yahoo news:

AUSTIN, Texas - Texas Gov. Rick Perry wants state pension funds to divest from companies doing business in Iran, similar to a move the funds are taking with companies tied to Sudan.

The Republican governor said Wednesday he is trying to determine whether he could start divesting without legislative approval. If he can't, he said, he might call a special session.

The divestment was advocated by Israeli officials Perry met with last month on a trip to Israel, said Secretary of State Phil Wilson, who attended the meetings. He said the office doesn't yet have estimates of how much money in the funds is invested in companies with ties to Iran.

"(Iran) is a country that has a clear terrorist focus, has a clear mission to wipe a friendly democracy and a very close ally of the United States off of the face of the earth," Perry said, referring to Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's calls for the destruction of Israel.

The governor recently signed legislation directing the $108.3 billion Teacher Retirement System and the $24.9 billion Employees Retirement System to get rid of holdings in companies doing business in Sudan, where a civil war in the Darfur region has killed 200,000 people and displaced more than 2.5 million.

A bill involving divestment from Iran died in the Legislature this spring.

So in theory couldn't funding for NT's law school be addressed during this special session? (Provided there is one.)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Article IV, Section 8 of the Texas Constitution:

(a) The Governor may, on extraordinary occasions, convene the Legislature at the seat of Government, or at a different place, in case that should be in possession of the public enemy or in case of the prevalence of disease threat. His proclamation therefor shall state specifically the purpose for which the Legislature is convened.

I'm glad to see this topic back on the board. Would NT Law be helped if the law school were to be housed on or near the Denton Campus, rather than downtown Dallas ?

Politically, no. As much as I would love to have the Law School on the main campus, the main selling point to the legislature has and will be that it would serve working professionals, so it has to be located in a more central location than Denton.

On the plus side, whereever it is located, having a law school raises the status of the university in the perception of the public.

----Special Sessions are called for certain purposes only and other items of business can not taken up.. This pretty much dashes Law-School hopes for two years.

---I am not so sure the governor or the legislature has any power to dictate how TRS invests it money... That money was taken out of teacher's salaries (6% of their contract salary) and somewhat matched by the state just as any private retirement program is funded... The money is not owned by the state at all. Most of the money in the fund is the result of investments and not even the original contributions so very little of it was ever state funds. The state does have some power over determining the amount of retirement checks however. Perry has tried forever to get his hands on the teacher's money and even wanted to force them to loan the state money a few years ago when there was a budget shortfall.... which was a bad deal for teachers.... they were making better money on their investments than what he was will to pay in interest (very low) to borrow it. Last year he wanted to force the TRS to buy stock in small Texas start -up companies that had no profits.... Personally I do not trust the man at all.

--Having said this... it would be a good idea to try to avoid stock in companies that support the terroristic government of Sudan and even Iran. This can be really tough to completely do with multi-national companies with diverse interests... For example does Coca-Cola count if they sell products in those countries??? TRS a few years ago stopped investing in tobacco companies such as Phillip-Morris because it seemed to send a mixed message.

---Our boy in Austin does not support education with his actions... just his mouth. Community College staffs really took a hit this session when he vetoed a bill that provided most of the health insurance for community college staff members. In 1993 he cut university budgets and then "allowed" them each to set their own tuition (to make up for lost revenue that state had once provided). This is why tuition has climbing so much and has hurt families and students that are struggling to go to school... Some may call this a political statement... I call it the truth... check it out.

-- As I posted in March, just because somethings passes, does not mean it will happen... Perry, Craddick, et al. did not fund the North Texas Law School so nothing can be done until the next session unless Perry called a special session to fund it.....That won't happen......Meanwhile they can claim "I supported it"...

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

I respectfully diagree.

"Perry, Craddick, et al. did not fund the North Texas Law School so nothing can be done until the next session unless Perry called a special session to fund it"

The bill in the last session was to both authorize the school's charter and fund it. It never got out of the legislature, so I don't see how you can claim that Perry didn't fund the school. If you recall, it was a south Dallas Democrat who killed the Law School amendment.

I respectfully diagree.

"Perry, Craddick, et al. did not fund the North Texas Law School so nothing can be done until the next session unless Perry called a special session to fund it"

The bill in the last session was to both authorize the school's charter and fund it. It never got out of the legislature, so I don't see how you can claim that Perry didn't fund the school. If you recall, it was a south Dallas Democrat who killed the Law School amendment.

---Those two sure did not help the cause any. I don't live in Dallas and now can't even get a Dallas Newspaper anymore [not sold in Abilene or West of there so I am told since April 2006] but from what I have read it seem the Dallas Democrat statement may be correct but not really truthful. It was a part of a lot of other items which she and a lot others opposed.... I remember when the President was complaining a few years ago about Congress not passing the Homeland security act that most really would have voted for it ..EXCEPT there was a "rider" that exempted or limited drug companies from being sued for more than $100,000 even if the drug in question caused blindness, serious disability, or death. Even the author would not vote for his own bill.

The Law School Bill was not a "stand alone item" and was not passed with a lot of other spending items I believe, some very bad ones included.. If I am wrong that I have been misinformed. I am not defending her because I know very little about her. Let's at least be accurate about the true reason it did not pass. If they want to pass it then it should be added to the budget alone and not part of a package. I guess you remember the near revolution against Craddick at the end which caused a lot of problems and it is a miracle they got anything passed. I live in Midland, Craddicks home town and know him.

---I will say one thing about this session.. at least they passed a budget.. in the 2005 session Perry vetoed it and the state functioned without one until over a year later. Some school districts had to start without textbooks in some subjects or supplies they needed. This had never happened before.. In the 2003 session they underfunded everything including schools and state parks and became responsible for the rapid increase in tuition that has occurred. These boys are not pro-education despite what they say... their actions demonstrate otherwise.. I work in upper education and pay very close attention education issues, do you?

--Bundling items together can get things passed sometime but it is also a "political trick" to force an opponent to vote against a bill so they can then (inaccurately) claim "my opposent doesn't support education or whatever issue" .---Crazy example: Suppose there was a bill establishing a NT law school but the second provision legalized cocaine. You probably would vote against it but your opponent could then claim that you voted against the Law School.... and actually you had....but the statement isn't exactly true either.

The details of how this happened has already been posted.

The stand-alone Law School bill was killed on a technicality in the House very early in the session. Then, Sen. West of Dallas wrote an amendment authorizing the law school and attached it to the emminent domain bill. Rep. Davis also had an amendment on the emminent domain bill that contained a lot of unreasonable demands such as requiring the state to provide home search service, moving services, hotel expenses, etc for residents whose property were acquired through an emminent domain act.

When her bill got stripped out, she retaliated by killing the law school.

What I don't understand is why you feel the need to bash the Governor when he had nothing to do with the law school getting shelved and there are so many other legitimate things to bash him about.

Edited by UNTflyer

What I don't understand is why you feel the need to bash the Governor when he had nothing to do with the law school getting shelved.

Where are you seeing he bashed Governor Good Hair? Being critical of a political leader isn't exactly bashing him/her...I know little of how the law school bill was killed, but SE's if mis-informed belief that the bill was killed because of unpopular riders being atached is very feasible and happens all of the time, especially in state legislatures.

Now...if you would like to bash Governor Perry...these topics are so much more usable than the UNT law school issue:

• overuse of the death penalty
  • TXU bribes and ignoring environmental concerns
  • "If you live your life and don't confess your sins to God Almighty through the authority of Christ and His blood, I'm going to say this very plainly, you're going straight to hell with a nonstop ticket." appealing to his Jewish, Muslim and agnostic constiuency

"Adios...mofo"-Gov. Rick Perry

"If you live your life and don't confess your sins to God Almighty through the authority of Christ and His blood, I'm going to say this very plainly, you're going straight to hell with a nonstop ticket."

Certainly you are not implying that Perry said this because he most certainly did not, it was the Reverend of his church. Perry did say he agreed with him, but your post is implying that was a Perry quote.

BTW, I am certainly no fan of Perry. But resorting to criticism of Gov. Good Hair when he had nothing to do with the law school getting put on the back burner, IMHO, is bashing. It's like how all of a sudden every bad thing that happens in the world is somehow President Bush's fault.

And my list of Perry criticisms include:

Failing to secure the border.

His ridiculous campaign commercials showing him in jeans, boots, and leather jacket squinting across the border as if he has a vision to save the state.

Pushing for his $754 billion Road to Nowhere (TTC).

The property tax shell game.

These boys are not pro-education despite what they say... their actions demonstrate otherwise...

I agree with SE on this point... My parents are both recently retired high school teachers and can attest that there has been a lot more talk about supporting education than any actual support. When you're in the trenches day in and day out, you get a good idea of how things are going.

---You no doubt get better coverage than I do but I knew it had been bundled up with a lot of unpopular item at the end so you really can't blame those who vote against it. I am not sure what exactly happend but by removing it from the others may have been an attempt to get it passed alone but with the chaos of the last 2-3 weeks it is a wonder anything got done.. No doubt both she and the leadership are at fault. I do know that Perry and boys are not very supportive of education issues. The leadership can get bills passed or at least brought up to a vote if the really want to do so. They haven't, at least not is a way it stands a chance.

--This is no doubt a stretch but it would be possible to call a special session to address funding the Law school... he won't.

SE, the thing is that there was a real attempt to get the Law School passed. One of the problems is that the legislature only meets for 4 months and if you don't get a well-written bill out of committee in the first few weeks, the only option left is an amendment. That's what happened in this case. The first bill was crap and got scrapped on a technicality. The second attempt was to attach the amendment to the emminent domain bill (which was popular as it protected the rights of property owners).

As for Perry's record on education, he was elected to the State Board of Education as a Democrat back in the 70s and vetoed the bill in 2005 because it failed to increase teacher's salaries like he wanted. But keep in mind that Perry is JUST a governor... and Texas, constitutionally, has the weakest governorship in America.

He doesn't write the bills, he can only sign them or veto them. But as the figurehead of Texas government, he's going to get a lot of criticism whether it is fair or not. In this particular case, I think it is unfair to blame him for the education funding problems in Texas that have been going on for 20+ years.

SE, the thing is that there was a real attempt to get the Law School passed. One of the problems is that the legislature only meets for 4 months and if you don't get a well-written bill out of committee in the first few weeks, the only option left is an amendment. That's what happened in this case. The first bill was crap and got scrapped on a technicality. The second attempt was to attach the amendment to the emminent domain bill (which was popular as it protected the rights of property owners).

As for Perry's record on education, he was elected to the State Board of Education as a Democrat back in the 70s and vetoed the bill in 2005 because it failed to increase teacher's salaries like he wanted. But keep in mind that Perry is JUST a governor... and Texas, constitutionally, has the weakest governorship in America.

He doesn't write the bills, he can only sign them or veto them. But as the figurehead of Texas government, he's going to get a lot of criticism whether it is fair or not. In this particular case, I think it is unfair to blame him for the education funding problems in Texas that have been going on for 20+ years.

Pardon my ignorance of Texas legislative law but if a bill can be piggy-backed on another in regular session could not the same happen in special?

And as far as Texas education funding is concerned all I can say is they should have never ran Bill Ratliff out of Austin.

Now...if you would like to bash Governor Perry...these topics are so much more usable than the UNT law school issue:
  • overuse of the death penalty
  • TXU bribes and ignoring environmental concerns
  • "If you live your life and don't confess your sins to God Almighty through the authority of Christ and His blood, I'm going to say this very plainly, you're going straight to hell with a nonstop ticket." appealing to his Jewish, Muslim and agnostic constiuency
"Adios...mofo"-Gov. Rick Perry

I predict thread lock down shortly, but I had to respond.

1. How is the death penalty being overused? If you don't agree with the death penalty say so, but don't criticize using it. People are put on death row for a reason. I rather use it than pay for some of these folks to sit there forever on the state's dime.

2. TXU: absolutely. Can't figure out why he hasn't been called on the carpet for these issues.

3. His pastor stated this and he agreed. I don't think he hid the fact that he was a Christian when he ran, did he? The Jewish, Muslim, agnostic, etc... constiuency knew this when he was elected.

I predict thread lock down shortly, but I had to respond.

1. How is the death penalty being overused? If you don't agree with the death penalty say so, but don't criticize using it. People are put on death row for a reason. I rather use it than pay for some of these folks to sit there forever on the state's dime.

2. TXU: absolutely. Can't figure out why he hasn't been called on the carpet for these issues.

3. His pastor stated this and he agreed. I don't think he hid the fact that he was a Christian when he ran, did he? The Jewish, Muslim, agnostic, etc... constiuency knew this when he was elected.

Why is everybody so quick to lock threads down on here...even if they're off topic? If you don't want to be a part of the discussion as its developing...don't be a part of it...but threads that lead off topic still draw interesting conversation, I understand thats not what the forum is for but there are plenty of threads dedicated to hats if thats what you'd rather discuss.

1. Every single reference, talking point or joke involving the death penalty involves Texas. Now, despite my above statement, I don't want to get this discussion going towards the death penalty, but I just feel if it is used it ought be used a little less liberally (word play is fun)...and you may want to check out the cost evaluation either way...may surprise you.

2. Good. Lets get our law school up and running and use UNT graduated lawyers to go after him.

3. The statement simply shows an intolerance for other faiths, and you expect from a political leader a bit more tact and at the very least public acceptance of other beliefs.

3. The statement simply shows an intolerance for other faiths, and you expect from a political leader a bit more tact and at the very least public acceptance of other beliefs.

Having a belief in something different than somebody else does not mean your intolerant. This train of thought is why we have such an issue in the country with political correctness. I can respect someone's choice to believe in something I don't, but that doesn't mean I have to believe it. And if asked, I shouldn't have to lie about it. I think there is a lack of political leaders that are willing to voice, with respect, what they truly believe.

Almost a completely derailed thread, glad I helped! ;)

Edited by jimmyjames_99

Christians may be "intolerant" of other faiths, but at least they don't routinely run around cutting off the heads of non-believers. And since when does Christian dogma of people going to hell if they do not believe in Jesus Christ come as a big surprise to anyone?

As for the death penalty thing, again this is an example of placing the blame at the feet of the wrong person. The governor of Texas does not impose the death penalty, the courts do that. Juries decide guilt and sentence and judges impose them. The only way Perry can stop an execution is if the Board of Pardon and Parole recommends it.

Edited by UNTflyer

Why is everybody so quick to lock threads down on here...even if they're off topic? If you don't want to be a part of the discussion as its developing...don't be a part of it...but threads that lead off topic still draw interesting conversation, I understand thats not what the forum is for but there are plenty of threads dedicated to hats if thats what you'd rather discuss.

1. Every single reference, talking point or joke involving the death penalty involves Texas. Now, despite my above statement, I don't want to get this discussion going towards the death penalty, but I just feel if it is used it ought be used a little less liberally (word play is fun)...and you may want to check out the cost evaluation either way...may surprise you.

2. Good. Lets get our law school up and running and use UNT graduated lawyers to go after him.

What jimmyjames_99 and UNTFlyer said.

Christians may be "intolerant" of other faiths, but at least they don't routinely run around cutting off the heads of non-believers. And since when does Christian dogma of people going to hell if they do not believe in Jesus Christ come as a big surprise to anyone?

Lets not confuse an act of political defiance with one of religious motivations...nor would I call it routine. The act is grotesque and the majority of Muslims in Iraq and neighboring countries were outraged. Al Queda is a political organization whose membership happen to be Muslim. They're goal is to end Western occupation and establish a strong, unified Muslim state as is outlined in the Koran. Their goals are reasonable...they're means in achieving those goals are saddistic, counter-productive and hypocritical to their religious views.

They're goal is to end Western occupation and establish a strong, unified Muslim state as is outlined in the Koran. Their goals are reasonable.

Western occupation?!? Of what? Their goal is to establish a strong, unified Muslim state that occupies the entirety of the globe (i.e., worldwide dominion and subjugation), including that comfy little chair you're sitting on right now. Do you call those reasonable goals?

Flyer, you can't absolve Perry from the school funding issues because he doesn't write the legislation. As governor, he has the power to place people who agree with his philosophy on education to many important positions, such as the SBEC for example. These boards can make decisions that have huge impacts on the education in Texas without having to go through the state legislature. Another example, he recently pushed the commissioner of education out the door and promoted another one of his puppets to the position. Perry is not an ally of public education, there is no way around that.

Lets not confuse an act of political defiance with one of religious motivations...nor would I call it routine. The act is grotesque and the majority of Muslims in Iraq and neighboring countries were outraged. Al Queda is a political organization whose membership happen to be Muslim. They're goal is to end Western occupation and establish a strong, unified Muslim state as is outlined in the Koran. Their goals are reasonable...they're means in achieving those goals are saddistic, counter-productive and hypocritical to their religious views.

I am under the impression that if they followed their book that it does call them to destroy any who do not follow the muslim way. does it not?

Al Queda is a political organization whose membership happen to be Muslim. They're goal is to end Western occupation and establish a strong, unified Muslim state as is outlined in the Koran. Their goals are reasonable...they're means in achieving those goals are saddistic, counter-productive and hypocritical to their religious views.

Just... damn.

Are their goals of killing all infidels and destroying Israel "reasonable" as well?