REPORTS TO: Executive Director of North Texas Exes

PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES

1. Membership Growth

2. Membership Tracking

3. Membership Retention

4. Marketing and Visibility of the Organization

DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES

1. Membership Growth

§ Work with the Executive Director, Membership & Marketing Committee, and Board of

Directors to review, adapt if necessary, and implement the current strategic plan to

increase membership. This includes, but is not limited to, two large direct solicitation

pieces per year plus other targeted direct mailers.

§ Also, membership growth includes working with the current students and specifically

seniors at graduation times to make them familiar with the organization and Exes

programs for new graduates.

§ Work with the Director of Chapter Development and implement a plan to increase

membership through chapters.

2. Membership Tracking

§ Maintain a tracking system for solicitation pieces that will allow for follow up and

supervision of retention rates.

3. Membership Retention

§ Develop the Exes Benefit package to offer real benefits to the members.

§ Coordinate membership renewals through email, direct mail, and phone campaigns.

4. Marketing and Visibility

§ Responsible for the marketing and increased visibility of the organization both on and off

campus.

§ Serve as an Exes representative on certain University Committees.

§ Coordinate with the Executive Director regarding the publication of electronic

newsletters.

§ Develop and design marketing communications including direct mail, brochures and all

other promotional pieces.

§ Responsible for developing and maintaining relationships both on and off campus, with

emphasis on the DallasFort

WorthDenton

region.

§ Interface with UNT students, parents, alumni and friends to maintain and strengthen the

alumni membership program.

5. Website

§ Oversee and maintain NT Exes website and Online Community.

6. Affinity Programs

§ Work with current affinity programs (i.e., Bank of America) and research prospective

affinity programs to increase advertising opportunities.

EDUCATION

§ A bachelor’s degree from an institution of higher education is required (Marketing or

Business preferred). A bachelor’s degree from the University of North Texas is preferred.

QUALIFICATIONS

§ Should have 35

years of direct marketing, membership development or fundraising

experience. Should have three years in public relations or nonprofit

organization working

with volunteers in a position of accountability.

§ Must have excellent organizational, verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.

§ Must have demonstrated ability to initiate and follow through on programs.

§ Must possess exceptional leadership abilities and have experience with membership, direct

marketing, or annual giving programs.

§ Must have a proven ability to interact positively and effectively with multiple constituencies.

§ Must be fluent with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point,) and familiar with

Photoshop and Illustrator.

§ Must be able to work within departmental budget and have forecasting experience.

§ Must be able to work on multiple tasks simultaneously.

§ Works independently with little supervision.

§ Adapts to change easily.

§ Must be willing to travel.

§ Must be able to work evenings and weekends as necessary.

SALARY RANGE $39,000 $

START DATE Immediately

TO APPLY

UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. Resumes

should be emailed

to joestewart@unt.edu or mailed to North Texas Exes, Attn: Joe Stewart,

P.O. Box 311250, Denton, TX 76203.

BENEFITS

Health and dental insurance; ER/EE retirement contribution; vacation and sick leave; offices

closed for all UNT holidays.

This is not a university position and is not eligible for university benefits.

The North Texas Exes Alumni Association is an independent 501 © (3) nonprofit corporation.

The North Texas EXES Alumni Association is dedicated to PROMOTING the University of

North Texas by CONNECTING with alumni, friends and current students through programs,

scholarships and activities that create awareness and loyalty, and SUPPORTING the ideals of the

University.

Please go to www.NTExes.org to learn more about North Texas Exes.

Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action

It is the policy of the North Texas Exes not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion,

gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability (where reasonable accommodations

can be made), disabled veteran status or Vietnam era status.

If you look at their website, it seems they are falling apart from within. They are currently searching for a new Executive Director, new Director of Membership and Marketing and a new Director of Chapter Development...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

With how many people are unhappy the the Exes this falling apart (in the business world it is called restructuring) may be a good thing.

It is time for all of those who have bitched and complained about how bad this group is to step up and try to do it yourself, and they will even pay you to do the job.

No, I am involved in anyway with this group just hate to hear people bitch and not step up when the opportunity for change arrives.

The job requirements for one person to be held accountable for

is over loaded--Just get someone who really cares about the

programs, can work and direct support people, and knows how to

work with the public! If hayden Fry applied for this job-would you

turn him down because he does not have a marketing degree?

The job is entire PR, and some creative ideas-not putting up

garage sale signs all over the place.

Couldn't this be made a function of the University? It is already housed in a University building, for the advancement of the University, by Alumni of the University. How is the Development Office different or the NT Foundation? Aren't they all about donations to the school and maintaining connections with donors and alums?

I would take the job if they would give it to me.

I would love to get in there change things up and give it a little restructure. I may not know the ins and outs, nor do I have a degree in marketing... but, i do care alot about this university. I care to see it grow and I do have some ideas to make it happen. But, what do I know, i only have a degree in philosophy. Who needs reason and logic these days!?!?!

I'd do it even with that kind of pay.

Travis - It couldn't hurt to apply. There are a lot of people that work in jobs that their degree doesn't really apply to. Passion and hard work count for a lot more than a degree sometimes.

MsGreenGoblin - You could always apply and ask for more money. Usually when hiring for a position like this businesses will scale their pay based on experience. When you bring in more exes and donors than ever before they will know it was worth it too! ;)

Personally six months ago I would have jumped at the chance for this job but I took a position a few months ago that pays quite a bit more and the step down in pay is something I just can't afford right now. I have to make arrangements soon to pop the big question and I am pretty sure my girlfriend wouldn't be happy with me taking a position that pays less. A green ring pop is just not what she has in mind. :P

Yes, it is a very long list of responsibilities for pretty low pay, less than a beginning public school teacher with a bachelor's and zero experience gets in most districts for nine months of work.

Promotions and development are areas where you have to make a bold investment to get a return. Money and good will don't just arrive at your front door unannounced.

Does anybody have any information on what really happened with the Exes? There must have been some specific problem for them to have been without an executive director for so long.

They should set the base pay at $40k per year and have a bonus structure based on how many new ex's they bring in. Something like 25% of the first year dues for each member they bring in. These non-profits need to start behaving more like for-profit companies if they want to be really successful.

Travis - It couldn't hurt to apply. There are a lot of people that work in jobs that their degree doesn't really apply to. Passion and hard work count for a lot more than a degree sometimes.

MsGreenGoblin - You could always apply and ask for more money. Usually when hiring for a position like this businesses will scale their pay based on experience. When you bring in more exes and donors than ever before they will know it was worth it too! ;)

Personally six months ago I would have jumped at the chance for this job but I took a position a few months ago that pays quite a bit more and the step down in pay is something I just can't afford right now. I have to make arrangements soon to pop the big question and I am pretty sure my girlfriend wouldn't be happy with me taking a position that pays less. A green ring pop is just not what she has in mind. :P

I totally understand what you mean about experience and being able to command more money, but something else I have to think about is what resources I would be working with. Just for our loyalty program alone (not marketing money) I get a budget of 2.5+ million a year. Again, that doesn't include money or expenses I can get Marketing to pay for. Whoever does take this job has quite a task ahead of them. Hell, I'd be willing to consult with whoever takes the job for free (in my spare time).

So, what's everyone's gripes about the Exes? O.K., don't "shower me" with answers, but......I recently "got off the road", and have reconnected with the Exes...attended a few Denton Exes Mixers and the auction. Found them all to be good fun, but not well attended. I understand the Denton Exes are working to "change the perception" some into a group that is actually doing things and working to boost spirit and attendance at UNT events. You must remember that the Exes is not an "athletic" only group. Exes represent all areas of the University. However, the Denton Exes recently put the "Sink Navy" T-Shirt out, sponsored the auction that brought in about $20,000 for UNT scholarships and are gearing up for some quartely...if not more often... events in 2007. If you are a memebr of the Exes and the Denton Chapter...watch your mailbox in the next few weeks or so. I hear the Denton Exes have a great July mixer planned. Why don't you come...it will be open to non-members too as I hear...and see what's happening these days with the Denton Chapter at least. The more folks that get involved, the better. Joining is a great thing...but joining AND participating is even better. You tend to get out of something what you put into it it seems to me. New slate of officers for the Denton Chapter as of May...I hear they are already preparing for 2007. JOIN and come be part of the action. Hey, can't hurt to come and see what's happening...or at least "trying to happen" with the Denton Chapter. You may just be pleasantly surprised. What do you have to lose? I'll be there!

So, what's everyone's gripes about the Exes? O.K., don't "shower me" with answers, but......I recently "got off the road", and have reconnected with the Exes...attended a few Denton Exes Mixers and the auction. Found them all to be good fun, but not well attended.

I have not been a very active member (family & job) but have been a member for many years of the Exes. I never got word of the auction and would have bid on some of the items that I saw sold. I get more credit card offers than any other meaningful communication from them. I always thought the Exes had a lot of potential, but....we know how that goes at North Texas. The alum center on campus is very nice.

Edited by NT80

NT80 and All....I KNOW as fact that the Denton Chapter of the NT Exes is working to increase both membership and participation. They have several mixers and other events already in the planning stages for the comming year. In fact, the first social mixer is set for July 18th at 6PM at the Athletic Complex off Bonnie Brae. As Bob Barker says..."Come on Down"...check it out and see what the enton Chapter is doing. The auction is an event planned and manned by the Denton Chapter with proceeds going to scholarships. I would say that if you are a Denton County resident that you should be getting the Denton chapter mailings...if not...PLEASE call the Exes office on campus and make sure they get you on the mixer and events mailing list. I think the cards for the July mixer will be going out in the next couple of weeks or so...not sure exactly. Even if you or someone you know is a UNT alum but not a memebr of the Exes...bring'em along...the more the merrier...hey, they might decide to join...I have enjoyed the mixers and auction that I have attended this last year, but they were "under attended" if you ask me....hey, what's not to like about free munchies, free refershments and great UNT talk with new and old friends???? Point here is....come see...if ore folks start participating in events and joing the Exes, the more that the Exes can do...SEE YOU ON THE 18th of July. :rolleyes:

Seems to me we get exactly what we pay for.

Low Pay = Low exes membership.

Most development and athletic positions pay that low everywhere. The majority of most AD employees outside of the ADs and associate ADS would be lucky to make $40K.