Former Player Gets Tom Bean Hc Job

GreenBat

http://www.herald-democrat.com/articles/20...ts/sports01.txt

Tom Bean hires coach

By Bill Spinks

Herald Democrat

TOM BEAN — Tal Sanders has a family tradition: Naming his kids with the initials “T.D.” — for touchdown. Sanders and his wife have four children ranging in age from two to 14, which figured prominently in his search for a job.

Tom Bean seemed to be a perfect fit.

“”I’m excited,” Sanders said Monday night from Ferris, where he will be leaving to take over at Tom Bean’s new head coach and athletic director. “I can’t wait to get started. It sounded like to me a great atmosphere — a small town, a Christian atmosphere, a great place to raise a family.”

The Tom Bean ISD board of trustees unanimously approved Sanders after a one-hour executive session during a special meeting Monday night. The board approved a two-year contract, which takes effect Thursday.

Sanders replaces Brent Graham, who left in mid-January after one 0-10 season to accept a job in the athletic department at the University of Tulsa.

Having had to hire three new athletic directors in the last five years, Tom Bean superintendent Dr. Jerry Stout said finding a coach who would stick around for a while was a priority this time.

“He’s very stable,” Stout said of Sanders. “He’s only been in two places, and each of those were for nine years. He’s talked about our community, and what he knows about our schools. He did his homework on Tom Bean, and he’s eager to come here.”

Sanders beat out two other finalists for the job: Canton offensive coordinator Aaron Slider, and Grapeland athletic director Chris Iske.

Sanders was reassigned by Ferris in December after a third-straight three-win season.

Coaching at what is perennially one of the smallest Class 3A schools in its area, Sanders was 38-53 in nine years as head coach at Ferris. His best season was 2000, when his Yellow Jackets went 9-4, won a co-district championship, and made it to the third round of the 3A Region II playoffs.

Prior to coaching at Ferris, the Haltom City native served as a coach at his alma mater, Haltom High School, from 1990-98.

Sanders was offensive coordinator in his final three seasons there and held a variety of duties before that, including five years as head soccer coach. He began his coaching career in 1989 at Haltom Junior High.

[b[sanders played collegiately at North Texas, winning two letters, according to the North Texas media guide, before graduating in 1988.[\b]

Sanders said he will continue to run the spread offense, which was instituted for the first time last year by his predecessor, Graham. Defensively, he said he would plan on using either a split or 4-2-5 formation.

Sanders says his coaching philosophy is simple: Do what’s right.

“I teach the kids that doing right is the most important thing,” Sanders said. “If you do that, you’ll be successful in life.”

Don't remember him, but it's good to have another former Mean Green player in the area.

Edited by GreenBat
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

New coach Tal Sanders, will continue to run the spread offense!

Tom Bean is located southeast of Sherman TX, well within the

50 mile radius around Denton, that Coach Dodge stated was a

priority market for NT recruiting. Great to have a former NT

player as a coach, and a possible good contact. Seems like

Tom Bean HS always has big OL/DL players every year--

From their FB roster for 2006/2007, Zakk Rudolf, 6-5,310lbs.

Purdue signed a OL kid from Tom Bean last year.

• Upvote 1

Guest GrayEagleOne

There is no Tal Sanders listed as a letterman at North Texas. There was a Kregg Sanders who lettered in 87 and 88, He can hardly be the one if Tal Sanders names his kids names with the initials T.D. Is it possible we might have some identity theft and that Kregg is a relative whose credentials got borrowed? I wouldn't think so; perhaps I'm jaded because mine have also been stolen.

Anyway, they seem to have the wrong person or the wrong university.

Guest GrayEagleOne

UPON FURTHER REVIEW.....

My bad. After rereading the article, it is only his kids that he has made a family tradition. The article didn't include him or anyone else in his family. Indeed this must be the person that was known as Kregg Sanders while at North Texas.

• 13 years later...
On 2/27/2007 at 11:29 AM, GreenBat said:

“He’s very stable,” Stout said of Sanders. “He’s only been in two places, and each of those were for nine years. He’s talked about our community, and what he knows about our schools. He did his homework on Tom Bean, and he’s eager to come here.”

Ironically, that 9 years per job stability that was such a selling point ultimately went by the wayside. 

Sanders left Tom Bean for Lake Worth in 2011. 

Then, he left Lake Worth for Maypearl in 2015. 

Then, he retired from Maypearl in 2017. 

If anyone lives near North Richland Hills and wants to go knock on a door to get some answers, we can clear up this letterman mystery in his retirement. 

Sandman has solved half the mystery... But many questions remain. Let's hope we figure it out before 2033. 

On 9/9/2020 at 12:16 PM, greenminer said:

Paging resident archivist Bill @SilverEagle.  Do you have any old media guides that can verify this guy?

I have a 2005 media guide that lists former players. He is listed as having earned a letter in 87 and 88.  I used to have a rather large collection of game programs from the 80's. but I believe I "recycled" most of them.

• Upvote 1

On 9/9/2020 at 12:47 AM, Sandman said:

Tal Sanders was not playing at North Texas in 87 or 88. He is not related to me. 
Kregg Sanders

So, is this you? Because the only Kregg Sanders I could find in the Ancestry.com yearbook collection was a Kregg Sanders from Munday Texas.

U.S., School Yearbooks, 1900-1999

Edited by SilverEagle