An Idea To Help Pay For A Staduum

marc_moffitt

I had been brainstorming about all the possible ways to pay for a new stadium, and I was thinking... Concerts!!

You would have a 25-35K seating capacity, why not?

What a way to show off our new stadium, we could have concerts there, or, Fry St. Fair.

The revenue from the events could be used to go towards the bond package.

What do you think?

It's a great idea and I'm sure the admin will attempt it, but there's so much competition for that kind of thing. Everybody wants have concerts at their place. I'm not sure how promoters decide what venues to use.

True - that is VERY competitive, but it's not to say it cant be attempted. Not sure how many concerts are ever scheduled at UNT as is now. Super Pit is a good place for that, but I never hear of anything there. Back when I went there (late 80's) Im pretty sure Pat Benetar performed at the Pit. I do remember also that Run DMC was scheduled to play there, tickets were sold, and the band backed out for some reason. Student body was PISSED, huge mess with all the refunds. But I figure if you can get county stars to perform at the Frisco Soccer venue, then why not Denton?

Edited by trud1966

Pearl Jam at the Pit was fantastic. I often wonder why they don't try to get up and coming bands to come to town. it is a boom to the local economy.

Didn't know about that. I've always wondered what the seating chart would look like for a concert. What was the stage set-up? Was it at one end of the floor (like graduation) or did they just play to one side of the arena?

Down here in Houston, we have the Sam Houston Race Track (Horse racing), that holds a series of concerts for Texas Country Music every Friday night during the summer. Admission is normal for both racing and concert if you get there before 8:00. An extra $3 if after 8:00. The place is packed.

I think that would be perfect for a game. Bring in some bands like Kevin Fowler, Pat Green, Cory Morrow, Cross Canadian Ragweed, David Allan Coe. The student crowd would definitely come. Set up some beer troughs with beer girls after the game is over ... maybe have the concert in the practice field since they already have a stage setup and it's fenced off, therefore requiring you to enter through a designated area. Then your ticket can be checked to see if you actually attended the game. Or, you could fix the "deck" to accomodate a stage.

Back in the day....I was involved with a charity that held a Liza Minnelli concert. Apart from all the volunteer hours, it was a breeze.

We found an open date for Ms. Minnelli, obtained a local event/music promoter, several corporations (mostly oil industry & banking) underwrote the event and the profits went to our charity. Ms. Minnelli actually donated a portion of her appearance fee to us as well.

Didn't know about that. I've always wondered what the seating chart would look like for a concert. What was the stage set-up? Was it at one end of the floor (like graduation) or did they just play to one side of the arena?

If my drunk arse can remember, I want to say they played one side of the arena with a huge mosh pit in the middle. But then again that was 13 years and 13,000 beers ago.

How about make the stadium shaped like a trapizoid...or a hexagon or octogon where none of the sides are parallel. And have the main gate gawdy and ornate like the most elaborate church front. Nick name it "The Temple."

And have the seats wide enough for us big butted people. And have ports for people to plug in headphones to listen to the Jub Jub radio broadcast of the game. And a way to go to the bathroom without having to leave your seat (just go right where you are) so you never miss any action. Women never have to worry about bathroom lines again.

And an "all you can eat" section with waitresses. Have someone handy with a puke bucket for your every need. Fans may have to pay a little extra for this section.

Just me being a smartass. :D:P:rolleyes:

Edited by gksmith

Marc no question that concerts would be good...but, you have a problem with the no alcohol. As you know, that is a major revenue source for the Venues. Often ticket sales go directly to the artist and the venue makes concessions and parking. That would be one thing that hopefully could be overcome. I think if designed right, it could be very succesful.

AEG is using Pizza Hut Park in Frisco already.

You just hit the nail on the head Rick - no alcohol and no smoking=lame concert for many. The Pearl Jam concert was awesome... even the ushers "relaxed" on the rules for that night... but that was a once in a lifetime gig for NT and probably won't happen again given the current landscape and companies like Westwood One Productions(I think that is their name - they are the company that owns the Smirnoff Center in Dallas, formerly the Starplex). They basically monopolize the music market by owning the music radio stations and the major venues... if you play the Dallas area and don't play their venue, you get pulled from their rotation on the radio in ALL of their markets. Crappy, but true. A few colleges have gone the way of the washed up bands in recent years - I think that MTSU had a few bands after games to boost attendance a couple of years back....also, I think that FIU even had someone like OutKast play last year, but it was in the Orange Bowl and I guarantee you that they let the Westwood people manage the gig (just hoping for it to draw more fans to their game), and since it was at a neutral site, the patrons could drink/smoke. If we wanted to offer a concert, we would need to do it at another venue.

Edited by stebo