North Texas Rolls Dice On Green Coach

mgsteve

CBS Sportsline

DENTON, Texas -- Gerry Faust he ain't.

Thank your Fighting Irish Almighty for that.

First, Todd Dodge isn't a screamer. Second, he has a clue. Third, he has a future.

Oh yeah, and North Texas isn't Notre Dame. You knew that but you really didn't know that in this case. We're not talking about college football monolith vs. Sun Belt prairie schooner. We're talking a well-reasoned, sensible hire vs. a shot in the dark.

"It was happening right when I was coming out of high school," the Mean Green's 43-year-old coach says of Faust's questionable hiring in 1981. "I'm aware."

The rest is fog because on Christmas Day, Dodge was still coach of the seven-time state champion Southlake (Texas) Carroll High Dragons. The next day, he was 20 miles down the road, in charge of his own Division I-A program. One of a handful of high school coaches who have ever made the jump to college head coach.

Maybe the only one who left better facilities and a better program behind. Southlake has an indoor facility. North Texas has some fine indoor lighting. Southlake is 79-1 the last five years. North Texas won the Sun Belt five years ago, finishing 5-7.

Southlake has won 48 consecutive games and three straight state titles in a row. Last month's victory over the school his father-in-law used to coach (Austin Westlake) made it four titles in five years and state-record tying seven overall.

Dodge packed up his whistle having gone 98-11 in seven years in a place where high school numbers like that mean more than in any other state.

"In the big picture it's a sad thing for some of the teams I coached at Carroll," Dodge said. "If they didn't win it all, they'd be thought of (different) in their town."

Who among us wouldn't take -- without having to move -- a substantial pay raise for a job with less pressure and less expectations?

At North Texas, tailgaters might riot with joy if the Mean Green go 7-5 in Dodge's first season. Even that was impossible when athletic director Rick Villareal arrived in 2001. Tailgating was illegal.

"They all just started laughing," Villareal said of his first staff meeting. "They went and got the policy manual. There it was. I called the president and said, 'If I don't do anything, I've got to change this.'"

He did and North Texas has been starting to matter. Former coach Darrell Dickey delivered four consecutive Sun Belt titles before enduring pretty much the worst year of anyone's life.

In February, Dickey had his gall bladder removed. Then he was diagnosed as a diabetic. Then he suffered a heart attack. Shortly after a 3-9 season, Dickey was fired.

"I should have redshirted," he said.

Dickey can predict what is going to happen now. Dodge is going to get the things he didn't. Bigger budget. Better facilities (a new stadium already is in the works). More love.

That is a given. Dodge is a real, live Texas football hero. Being the University of Texas quarterback in the mid-80s got him ready for, well, everything.

"Everything about you as a man will be exposed," Dodge said. "Character, toughness, resilience. There's times when you walk around town and everybody wants to love you up. It's ridiculous. Other times, you walk around town and you're a leper."

Dodge is so tuned in to the position that he swears he can stand outside a middle school in the morning and pick out the starting quarterback. And whether he won or not.

Giovanni Vizza is about to find out. The San Antonio Alamo Heights product switched his commitment from Nevada to be Dodge's first quarterback recruit.

More love? North Texas averaged less than 16,000 per game last year. That's about 30,000 less than Southlake drew for a playoff game.

High school football is so big in Texas that the Mean Green can expect an attendance bump from Southlake fans coming over to watch Dodge on Saturday afternoons.

"Because they know what they're going to see," Dodge said.

Dodd's Top '07 Classes

1. Florida

2. Texas

3. Tennessee

4. USC

5. LSU

6. Notre Dame

7. Georgia

8. Auburn

9. Nebraska

10. South Carolina

They're going to see a brand name -- at least in these parts. Dodge's spread offense ("Dodge Ball") has produced wins, players and copycats. Missouri essentially adopted Dodge's scheme, then landed his quarterback Chase Daniel to run it. Daniel finished eighth nationally in passing last season as a sophomore.

But like with Faust, there are questions. Can he recruit? Consider the swift transition from high school to college coach. Dodge needed to check with North Texas' compliance department to make sure he could attend Tuesday's Southlake football banquet. Was he their coach or was he a coach sizing up recruits?

Dodge was cleared to attend. Still, in less than a month he essentially wrapped up this year's class of approximately 22 relying on his Texas high school contacts.

The only way he can do better next year is to land one Riley Dodge, his son, who will be a Southlake senior. Unfortunately for North Texas, Riley's talents are probably suited to the BCS conference level.

Can he coach? That's the ultimate question. But, again, this is where Dodge diverges from Faust. Dodge spent two years as North Texas' offensive coordinator in 1992-93.

Mitch Maher, the quarterback from those two years, still holds the school's career passing record.

Dodge is an accomplished speaker, both in football and in the corporate world. His 10 Game Day Expectations can hold rapt a roomful of teenagers or insurance salesmen.

He turned down an opportunity to interview at Rice a couple of years ago. He did go hard after the tight ends job while Bill Parcells was with the Cowboys.

"Tell me why you would even interview him?" Villareal asked Parcells when the AD was checking out Dodge.

"Did you ever hear of a guy named Charlie Weis?" Parcells shot back. "I hired him from a high school in New Jersey. What Todd Dodge is, he's a football guy. He understands the game and the culture that surrounds it?

You're already thinking of Villareal's next question: Why didn't Parcells hire Dodge?

He was better than a tight ends coach.

And maybe better than a North Texas coach. If everything goes right for both parties, this is a starter job for Dodge. If he succeeds, he'll be off to the next job.

And North Texas will be on the map.

Not a bad Faustian bargain.

You know, DD did have some funny-like quips and quotes over almost a decade in Denton, but they would have all been much funnier if his (almost) decade-long recruiting efforts would have duplicated what Boise State's did for their program.

You cannot have a "bowl winning" program that hovers in and around the Bottom 25 for nine years, folks, that's all there is to it. Something is quite wrong with such a picture as that no matter how you slice it.

In my heart of hearts, I really do hope DD has astounding success at USU and then..............we all together (including DD) forget what irritated him about us and thousands upon thousands of us about him.

And the article about rolling the dice with Todd Dodge? I think 99.9% of the Mean Green Nation already likes our chances with Dodge Ball and his recent recruiting successes (even if we don't sign them all this year) has already given some of his doubters reasons to no longer doubt . AND...............how could the play-calling possibly be any worse than what we've had? I think we all know the answer to that question, too. :)

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

"Maybe the only one who left better facilities and a better program behind. Southlake has an indoor facility. North Texas has some fine indoor lighting."

"Who among us wouldn't take -- without having to move -- a substantial pay raise for a job with less pressure and less expectations?"

"More love? North Texas averaged less than 16,000 per game last year. That's about 30,000 less than Southlake drew for a playoff game." This one hurts cuz it's true. 15,650...or roughly 200 more than SMU.

"He was better than a tight ends coach.

And maybe better than a North Texas coach. If everything goes right for both parties, this is a starter job for Dodge. If he succeeds, he'll be off to the next job."

You gotta love the not so subtle art of building up one thing (Todge) and tearing down another (NT) in the article. This guy can bite me.

CBS Sportsline

More love? North Texas averaged less than 16,000 per game last year. That's about 30,000 less than Southlake drew for a playoff game.

Riley's talents are probably suited to the BCS conference level.

I know it's a mute point but this is the second time I've seen the 16000 avg vs. 30000 playoff game. If we had a playoff game we would have more than 16000 attending!

Riley's talents are better suited for a BCS level school? this article is a back handed compliment. Some good points but, some crap also!

I know it's a mute point but this is the second time I've seen the 16000 avg vs. 30000 playoff game. If we had a playoff game we would have more than 16000 attending!

Riley's talents are better suited for a BCS level school? this article is a back handed compliment. Some good points but, some crap also!

Just another reason UNT needs to do all within its power to leave the mid-major designation behind forever; somewhat like I've posted in my new signature below.

Might this CBS sports-scribe and expert need to know that UNT once hosted TAMU at Texas Stadium before almost 50,000 college football fans? OK, say what you want, but that is probably one of the largest crowds the Texas A & M Aggies ever played in DFW the entire time the Southwest Conference existed. Aggies came to watch their team in full force against the Stangs and Horned Frogs in their respective football venues, too, sports fans.

UNT drew its almost 50,000 against the Ags the first and only time we hosted them here in the North Texas Metroplex. Not bad for starters, eh? Wonder what we could do if our new stadium in Denton had a 40,000 seat capacity and we hosted TAMU?:)

These "he won't stay long" articles will slow down in due time. They are kind of a bore, now aren't they? Might this CBS sportswriter need to know that Boise State had 5 head football coaches over a 9 year period of time yet they were a BCS Championship Bowl team participant this last January who beat the mighty Sooners of OU? Would he write a feature article on that cold harsh reality? Probably not....

I still defer to the signature below:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Let's not forget that Trinty had something to do with the big crowd as well. Not to mention, the casual fan who wanted to see 2 undefeated teams, reigning state champions, and those who just wanted to be a part of the scene. That crowd was big enough to eclispe most of UoH, SMU, Rice, Tulsa and many more colleges "average" crowd.

As for Riley, there's no doubt he's a great player. However, to say his talents are better suited for a BCS school is a complete slap in the face of every mid-major player. Mid-majors put out NFL players ever year. You can never under estimate the pull of playing an additional 4-5 years in a system he knows, that's close to home, and with his dad.

Finally, this idea that Dodge is automatically gone if he wins is not necessarily a done deal. With winning comes growth, funding, additional support and bigger salaries. Since everyone already has Dodge linked with UT then lets look at that. Can we compete with UT (salaries, stadium, national recognition & support) - no. Will UT be in the search for new coach in 5 or even 10 years - probably not. Mack Brown is not going anywhere for a while (why would he). Dodge has said he will not be a cordinator again. He's a head coach that believes in and is commited to his system and for him to leave a program that will have all the attributes mentioned above when winning, it will have to be a big jump.

Edited by GMoney

There were 25,000 at the Carroll vs. Allen playoff game, and close to half were Allen fans. Gotta love the art of a negative spin.

Dragon Stadium can squeeze 10,000 in MAYBE. This is a major university they are comparing to a high school, some of this stuff has gotten blown way out of proportion.

At North Texas, tailgaters might riot with joy if the Mean Green go 7-5 in Dodge's first season. Even that was impossible when athletic director Rick Villareal arrived in 2001. Tailgating was illegal.

I wanted to highlight this, for those of you who haven't been around long enough to remember the lunacy of the previous administrations. Thanks RV.

Just another reason UNT needs to do all within its power to leave the mid-major designation behind forever; somewhat like I've posted in my new signature below.

Might this CBS sports-scribe and expert need to know that UNT once hosted TAMU at Texas Stadium before almost 50,000 college football fans? OK, say what you want, but that is probably one of the largest crowds the Texas A & M Aggies ever played in DFW the entire time the Southwest Conference existed. Aggies came to watch their team in full force against the Stangs and Horned Frogs in their respective football venues, too, sports fans.

UNT drew its almost 50,000 against the Ags the first and only time we hosted them here in the North Texas Metroplex. Not bad for starters, eh? Wonder what we could do if our new stadium in Denton had a 40,000 seat capacity and we hosted TAMU?:)

These "he won't stay long" articles will slow down in due time. They are kind of a bore, now aren't they? Might this CBS sportswriter need to know that Boise State had 5 head football coaches over a 9 year period of time yet they were a BCS Championship Bowl team participant this last January who beat the mighty Sooners of OU? Would he write a feature article on that cold harsh reality? Probably not....

I still defer to the signature below:

Just to point out one more time that the greatest draw in our history came in Dallas. We MUST get over the idea that we are going to get a top BCS team to Denton no matter what the size or character of the stadium is. We can not continue to pass up one for twos with programs that will never, ever come to Denton. We can get the SMU,TCU, TX Tech, Okie St. types. However to get a T$M, UT, Big Ten, Pac10, etc. YOU HAVE to SWALLOW PRIDE and PLAY TO GET MAXIMUM EXPOSURE. Hayden Fry understood this, others who have followed chose to ignore and opportunities have been and continue to be squandered by stubborness on this obvious point.

So gol' darned sad that all these many, many years later after a 1975 season when UNT would beat a UH Cougar football team that would be host team in the Cotton Bowl the following season and then during that same 1975 season the Mean Green travelled over to Knoxville, Tennessee, to put a big knot on the UT Volunteer's heads; anyway, so sad that 31 years later we would have any of our fans or posters saying: "Unfortunately for North Texas, Riley's talents are probably suited to the BCS conference level." Aren't we who we think we are, fellow alums? If we think we aint' worth a shit, then we ain't going to be worth a shit, right? If we think we are actually somebody, then aren't we own our way of being a somebody (if we aren't already)?

Now do any of you Young Gun Alums want to know why so many of us NT Ex/Baby Boomers have been so damn frustrated with so many years of irresponsible hirings, low expectations and aimless direction for almost a quarter of a century in Denton? So many from that group don't care any longer to even express it on a forum like GMG.com or elsewhere is an even sadder part of this story; hence, a major reason for all the empty seats even during bowl years as SBC champion (and FWIW.........many seasons prior to that). :(

I truly think Todd Dodge will alleviate very much of this past on-going frustration but what is even more frustrating is how Rick Villarreal could have hired someone like a Todd Dodge as far back as 6 years ago, ie, post-ULM loss back in 2001 before one of our self-appointed intercollegiate/ Board of Regent experts shot that R.V. idea down like a duck so we would be able to (I presume) continue our Bottom 25 D1-A football co-existance for another half-decade. Only at North Texas, folks, only at North Texas. :)

I hope Todd Dodge's hiring is the beginning of many others that (similarly) need to be made in Mean Green Country. We cannot go another half-decade or full decade of what we've mostly seen with all our other varsity sports programs and I say that knowing that some very nice people will be affected and will have to eventually leave Denton most likely; but (again) we are not the Mean Green Retirement Village for Nicer Than Heck People, either, now are we? :blink:

Hasn't the hiring of Todd Dodge proven to all how it is still all about who we hire at UNT that can turn a program (and attitudes) around? Certainly, he has het to coach his first MG football game, but don't most of us feel good about the long term on that part, too? Didn't the MG Nation's response of TD's hiring prove that it just felt like the right fit for all parties concerned just as well? AND............... Didn't a press conference to introduce TD as our new HFC that had an over-flowing meida/fan response and even that press conference attendance that was said to have shocked our new UNT president speak volumes, too?

More changes just have to be made, folks; just like many of us were saying the same thing post Tulsa-loss 2 years ago. Once you see a spiraling (downward) trend is just not going to change, why continue hanging onto those who are producing those trends?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I sent this to a co-worker (Longhorns fan). Here is his reply:

Sounds like a win-win for both parties. Hopefully Dodge can spearhead/energize the capital campaign for a new stadium before he leaves. Who knows, they may even name it for him…. defeated opponents will be encouraged to “get the hell out of Dodge”!

I love it!