Time For A Change - Jj Can't Get It Done

Ya, we have the best start we've had in however many years but we lose a few early in conference play so we should write of JJ?? No Way! I think once the semester gets back into swing everyone will be a little more focused.

JJ has shown these past few years that he can start strong and then fizzle out once conference play starts. the only thing i can think of that that means is that he doesnt have control of his teams. he needs to at LEAST make it to the conference championship game this year for RV to even think about keeping him.

Ya, we have the best start we've had in however many years but we lose a few early in conference play so we should write of JJ?? No Way! I think once the semester gets back into swing everyone will be a little more focused.

So you are accepting losing ?? That's not a good attitude.

Every team is on a semester break , poor excuse.

How many years has JJ been here ?? How many SBC tourney wins do we have ??

I like JJ , but let's face it. Bottom line WINNING is the only thing that matters.

I like what JJ has done recruiting, he hasn't disappointed there, but these tough losses in conferece arn't acceptable, but that being said, we should see how the rest of the season pans out before handing him his pink slip.. I think the firing of Dickey has everyone thinking if we fire JJ we can ge another "todd dodge" at basketball.. Well I have news for those people, there is no Todd Dodge available for the basketball team, who do you guys suggest we hire at the end of the season that will do a better job than jj?

It is apparent that there are a few new fans who don't really know JJ's history or have taken the time to catch up on it to see why many of us are tired of the same act every season. We are not overreacting and we are not bad fans as some people have said. We just want some accountability and something more than a mediocre team that underachieves every season.

Here are a few things to keep in mind.

• JJ is 1-5 in the conference tournament. His only win was his first game in the conference tournament. He is 0-5 since. That includes an opening round loss in 2005 when we hosted the tournament. Yes, that's right, we couldn't get out of the first round when the tournament was in the SuperPit.
  • Last season we heard all the talk about one of the best starts to a season in school history. In fact, at one point we were 12-6 and 5-2 in conference. Last seasons results? 14-14 with a 6-9 conference record(6-10, counting the conference tourny) and, again, an opening round conference loss.
  • The 04-05 season started pretty well. We were 9-5 with a 2-1 conference record at one point. Again, we tanked the season and finished 14-14 with a 6-9 conference record(6-10, counting the conference tourny) with the loss in the first round of the tournament on our home floor.
  • JJ's best conference record? 8-7 in 03-04(8-8 counting the first round tourny loss). BTW, that team was 13-15 for the season.
  • How many winning seasons has JJ had since starting in 01? One, in his very first season with a 15-14 record.
I really don't want to go any further, as it is pretty depressing looking back at each of these seasons and the hopes we had with strong starts and then having each and every season go down the toilet in spectacular fashion. But keep all of this in mind the next time any of you defend JJ as a coach. He's a great guy and is very positive, but that doesn't win games.

I like what JJ has done recruiting, he hasn't disappointed there, but these tough losses in conferece arn't acceptable, but that being said, we should see how the rest of the season pans out before handing him his pink slip.. I think the firing of Dickey has everyone thinking if we fire JJ we can ge another "todd dodge" at basketball.. Well I have news for those people, there is no Todd Dodge available for the basketball team, who do you guys suggest we hire at the end of the season that will do a better job than jj?

I hate it when people say we can't get a good coach here at North Texas. Considering we could have had Billy Gillespie at the time we hired JJ, and now with the tremendous talent that is already on this team, I think we could get a pretty dang good coach to come here.

I don't think there will be any changes made, however I find your opinion that we cannot find anyone better, is laughable. There is definitely time to turn the season around in conference but JJ's history does not make it look likely. This is JJ sixth year and imo it is time for NT to at least contend strongly for the conference championship or make a change. As for as your aspersion that NT cannot do better than a sub-500 conference record coach, if that is true I guess NT should just keep JJ around for life like we are doing with Slinker. I remember the same comments relative to the football hc search, NT just can't do better than DD. Fact there were numerous coaches applying not only Dodge that would have been a definite upgrade in coaching. The same thing would happen in BB.

It's pretty simple. Want to get into a better conference some day???? THEN, START TREATING MEN'S BASKETBALL AND WOMEN'S BASKETBALL like most other universities do.

There is no way that a men's coach would be kept at ANY other school, if he didn't take a team to a NIT or NCAA tournament in six years. So, that should be the standard: JJ get into one of those tourneys this year....or you're gone.

And for God's sake, how a women's coach can be kept around 18 years with no NCAA tournament appearance, is beyond me, as well.

As much as I wanted Dickey gone, as least I can say that Darrell took us to 4 bowls in 9 years. Tina and JJ have almost 24 years (between them) on our payroll, and we have two WNIT appearances (both double digit losses) to show for it.

Edited by SUMG

And for God's sake, how a women's coach can be kept around 18 years with no NCAA tournament appearance, is beyond me, as well.

I've decided that Tina has something on somebody at the administrative level...there has to be some kind of underhanded reason she's been allowed to stay this long. I mean, sure, the AD doesn't seem to give two shits about basketball, but still...18 years and she's still here? Even a school with no chance in hell of ever progressing wouldn't put up with that.

I hate saying this about JJ because the guy is extremely nice...but he doesn't seem to have control of his teams when conference play rolls around. I agree with StandUp...NIT, NCAA, or gone.

Expect Excellence and Accept Nothing Less....

Edited by JayDub

Sun Belt Conference Tournament- Since 2001, NT has made it to the 2nd round ONE TIME (2002)

Since 1981 NT has won ONE conference tournament (SLC in 1988).

1988 is the ONLY time that NT made it to the NCAA tournament.

Unfortunately it seems that NT basketball is the MOUSE THAT ROARED

The road loss to Arkansas State wasn't just a loss, it was a MASSACRE

Edited by MeanGreen61

I hate it when people say we can't get a good coach here at North Texas. Considering we could have had Billy Gillespie at the time we hired JJ, and now with the tremendous talent that is already on this team, I think we could get a pretty dang good coach to come here.

i'm not saying we can't get a good coach to come here because we are north texas, I think North texas athletics has a very bright future, something no coaching prospect can deny.. I'm saying we might not find a good coach to come here because there are not alot of them available

Edited by Keith7

.. I'm saying we might not find a good coach to come here because there are not alot of them available

The last time our job was open (when JJ was hired).....we had numerous outstanding candidates. Of the candidates...one was already a Division I head coach (Bob Marlin at Sam Houston State). Since we didn't hire Mr. Marlin....he has taken SHSU to the NCAA tournament, and his team has played in the SLC tourney championship game a couple of other times.

Plus, there were three other candidates who went on to get Division I jobs:

Billy Gillespie....hired by UTEP (now at A & M)

Ray Lopes (hired by Fresno State)

John Jay (hired by Oregon State).

So rest assured...if the job came open, we would have some outstanding candidates apply for the job.

The only thing that would keep a coach from coming here is if he could make more money somewhere else. A 10,000+ person arena, brand new athletic center, and within 20-30 miles of one of the most talent-laden areas of the country? Any good coach could turn that into an NCAA appearance within 2 years, tops. Especially in the Sun Belt.

Hell no he won't go! Hell no he won't go!

There are 13 games remaining. This is not football. Remember we are trying to work back in our best player. What is wrong with our team? They are playing one-on-one. Why? Everbody thinks KD will do it and we he doesn't they think they have to force something. Should the ULM coach be fired too? They just lost to THE WORST TEAM IN THE NATION. Even though I want to win every game the only thing that matters is the Belt tourney. If JJ fails again in the tourney we should seek a new coach, but wait can we afford to buy out 2 coaches in the same year?

Will people stop using the DFW as a tool. After living here for 3 years now I have realized that it is over crowded and dangerous. An NFL star was just gunned down. Wasn't the Dallas police and city hall caught up in a corruption scandal a year ago.

I think it is a tool to bring people here because it is still a great city. But for kids that live here they want to get out.

Will people stop using the DFW as a tool. After living here for 3 years now I have realized that it is over crowded and dangerous. An NFL star was just gunned down

Actually he was killed in Denver.

But it wouldn't of surprised me if he was killed in downtown ft.worth , that place at night is dangerous.

Edited by NT03

Hell no he won't go! Hell no he won't go!

There are 13 games remaining. This is not football. Remember we are trying to work back in our best player. What is wrong with our team? They are playing one-on-one. Why? Everbody thinks KD will do it and we he doesn't they think they have to force something. Should the ULM coach be fired too? They just lost to THE WORST TEAM IN THE NATION. Even though I want to win every game the only thing that matters is the Belt tourney. If JJ fails again in the tourney we should seek a new coach, but wait can we afford to buy out 2 coaches in the same year?

You do realize we just lost by 24 to a team that is under .500 and by double digits to another team that s under .500? There is a lot to be concerned about and if things don't turn around getting rid of jones should be strongly considered...look at the past few seasons...IT IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!

Edited by mwynn05