15 Ol Players On The Current Roster

Charlie NT 73

I was reviewing the current roster at MeanGreenSports.com, and counted 15 OL players.

10 are Fr, 1-So, 4-Jr's. Good size kids! There are 5 that go 6-5, and 6 that are 6-3.

I beleive big OL players are a priority any time you can get them. I would like to see at least 4

big OL guys added this recruiting season.

How many OL players do you think we need?

Any prospects that you know of ?

I think we are ok at center and guard, but need serious help at tackle. You always need to have plenty of quality lineman if you can. I also think our linemen need to get stronger in the weight room and hope this will be addressed.

Harry- I agree with you about the weight room and training. Championships begin with proper

training and conditioning.

I like OT's to be tall, and with long arms. I am looking forward to the development of these 4

guys at OT: Matthew Menard, 6-5, 275lbs; Robert Peachy, 6-5, 279lbs; Esteban Santiago, 6-5, 279lbs; Jack Crumes, 6-4, 266lbs. All 4 are freshmen/redshirts. I beleive Peachy was part of the

"Green Team" and gained valuable game experience. I beleive all 4 will fit into the spread offense and develop into quality OT's that can protect our QB.

I hope Coach Dodge can recruit several OT's and OG's that will fit his offense.

Ok, if Esteban Santiago is still on the roster, then you can't have him for the OL. I only see Miller and Thomas as NT's and Kendrick Ridge (6-1 X 275) and E.Santiago (6'5" X 275) as D-linemen. Kenneth Okonkwo is listed as a DL, but at 6'2 X 230?.... you've got to be kidding me. :blink:

Thomas only saw limited duty last season, and I'm still not sure what his health status is. We need someone to help cause our opponents to go 3 and out. That didn't happen too much last year.

Folks, we need a couple of big, aggressive, DL's. <_<

SilverEagle, I read a GMG posting a while back, that stated Santiago was moved to the OL. He may very well stay at DT as far as I know.

I am just reviewing the roster off the MeanGreenSports.com.

As far as DT/NT's, the roster lists Joseph Miller, So, 6-3, 275lbs at NT, Kendrick Ridge, Fr, 6-1, 275lbs at DT, and Isaac Thomas, So, 5-11, 289lbs at NT.

Yes, the team needs some big DT's and NT's. Maybe Jr college recruits that can step in next season. Again, big OL and DL prospects are a must!

Do not forget about Montey Stevenson, 6-2, 290lbs, Jr, listed as a DE. I watched him play this past season, drew alot of double teams. I am really looking forward to Joseph Miller's development in the off season. I beleive this guy can be a great DT, along with Stevenson.

I have not heard of Kenneth Okonkwo. The MGS roster, seems to have no updated/accurate info

I know Coach Dodge will evaluate all the current players, determine where the players will fit

into his system, and make position changes. I am sure he has some OL and DL prospects that

he will recruit.

I think they see Santiago as a natural strong guard and they think he will be a very good one in line with the likes of Lineberry. Here are some of the interesting players to consider for the defensive line next season.

Eddrick Gilmore - He should have his eligibility back as a reshirt sophomore and have put on more size. This guy has a frame that could carry a lot of weight, he's 6-5 and 245 as a true freshman a couple of years ago...my guess is he could be in the 270-280 pound range before all is said and done. He could he play defensive end or will he stay at linebacker?

Marquis Sykes - Listed at 6-3, 253 but should also be bigger before all is said and done. Redshirted last year even though he made some plays in Fall camp. Likely a defensive end next year.

Draylen Ross - 6-4, 245 but probably bigger than that now - played a lot last year as primarily a blcoking tight end. With Dodge, I could see him more back over to defense perhaps at defensive end initially although this kid is another possibly defensive tackle before all is said and done. Huge frame.

Ty Rexrode - 6-3, 260 - Will be a junior this year and really seemed to be on the cusp of being something last fall. Very athletic former running back in high school.

Sam Owosu Hemeng - 6-1, 235 - Very quick athlete that will benefit from a redshirt season. Plays bigger than his size.

Kail Krider - 6-3, 245 - Early reports were he was a bust but he was just a true freshman. The thought was he would grow and eventually be an Evan Cardwell type of kid. Remains to be seen.

Kendrick Ridge - 6-1, 270ish guy that is a fireplug and could thrive in the 3-4 alignment.

Blake Burriss - 6-7, 255 - Heeees baaaackk - Burriss will never be a star but really showed some signs that he could play last season. Love his size. His offseason development (technique, strength training) will be a key.

Joe Miller - 6-3, 270 - Joe has been a steady player but needs to improve his upper body strength to move it to the next level.

Willie Ransom - 6-3, 242 - If he gets a medical redshirt and is healthy he could help this team. I just wonder if he will ever have his health back again.

Jon Stewart - 6-2, 266 - Has a huge upside but didn't really get to play a lot last season. Another guy that needs to work on his strength. Has a lot of raw ability.

Harry-thanks for the player updates. These are some good players. I forgot about Gilmore so I

hope he can come back. He could really help our defense, either at DE or LB.

I guess we will have to wait and see what type of defensive alignment Coach Dodge will use, (3-4

or 4-3) before we can plug in the players to fit the puzzle.

Several players listed are just a few biscuits shy from being in the 280-290lb range. The off season will be very interesting to see how they develop.

I am gun shy about the DT position because I keep having flash backs about how many of the

games NT lost in the final 2 minutes, by teams running up the middle on our defense.

I remember what Coach Corky Nelson would ask Santa for, " Two big Defensive Tackles".

Hopefully we have one or two DT's in the cubboard now!

I expect Jeremiah Chapman who is NT's best returning defensive lineman to have an excellent year. If TD reverts back to a 4-2 scheme there are a number of players that could play de well. Chapman, Burriss, Gilmore, Sykes, Ross, Rexrode, etc. Defensive tackle is the problem. Although Thomas, Miller and Stevenson return and have all played well at times, noone has demonstrated they can effectively clog up the middle. If a three man line is used there has to be big improvement in the nose tackle position.

I would keep Foster, Banks, Baily and Santiago at the guard positions.

( How is Josh Alexander doing- did't he have off season surgery? Was't Alexander at OT ?)

Brown, Menard, Peachy, Eidd, Crumes at the tackle positions. (Eidd could play both G and T)

Drake , Rose, and Glass at center.

I would move Venegas and Carlson to the defense.

I would keep Foster, Banks, Baily and Santiago at the guard positions.

( How is Josh Alexander doing- did't he have off season surgery? Was't Alexander at OT ?)

Brown, Menard, Peachy, Eidd, Crumes at the tackle positions. (Eidd could play both G and T)

Drake , Rose, and Glass at center.

I would move Venegas and Carlson to the defense.

Yes, Alexander had surgery back in the summer. Not sure on his status though.

Rick

I think they see Santiago as a natural strong guard and they think he will be a very good one in line with the likes of Lineberry. Here are some of the interesting players to consider for the defensive line next season.

Eddrick Gilmore - He should have his eligibility back as a reshirt sophomore and have put on more size. This guy has a frame that could carry a lot of weight, he's 6-5 and 245 as a true freshman a couple of years ago...my guess is he could be in the 270-280 pound range before all is said and done. He could he play defensive end or will he stay at linebacker?

Marquis Sykes - Listed at 6-3, 253 but should also be bigger before all is said and done. Redshirted last year even though he made some plays in Fall camp. Likely a defensive end next year.

Draylen Ross - 6-4, 245 but probably bigger than that now - played a lot last year as primarily a blcoking tight end. With Dodge, I could see him more back over to defense perhaps at defensive end initially although this kid is another possibly defensive tackle before all is said and done. Huge frame.

Ty Rexrode - 6-3, 260 - Will be a junior this year and really seemed to be on the cusp of being something last fall. Very athletic former running back in high school.

Sam Owosu Hemeng - 6-1, 235 - Very quick athlete that will benefit from a redshirt season. Plays bigger than his size.

Kail Krider - 6-3, 245 - Early reports were he was a bust but he was just a true freshman. The thought was he would grow and eventually be an Evan Cardwell type of kid. Remains to be seen.

Kendrick Ridge - 6-1, 270ish guy that is a fireplug and could thrive in the 3-4 alignment.

Blake Burriss - 6-7, 255 - Heeees baaaackk - Burriss will never be a star but really showed some signs that he could play last season. Love his size. His offseason development (technique, strength training) will be a key.

Joe Miller - 6-3, 270 - Joe has been a steady player but needs to improve his upper body strength to move it to the next level.

Willie Ransom - 6-3, 242 - If he gets a medical redshirt and is healthy he could help this team. I just wonder if he will ever have his health back again.

Jon Stewart - 6-2, 266 - Has a huge upside but didn't really get to play a lot last season. Another guy that needs to work on his strength. Has a lot of raw ability.

Harry, I think you ended up making my point. You didn't list any DL that would be considered a natural and/or dominating at the position. And, you listed entirely too many DE's. DE's don't do us much good if they run it up the gut at us all night long.

Which is what Austin Westlake did most of the game last week-end........ and it almost worked. I've read that

it (a dominating running game) did work for Katy.

So, please give Mr. Santiago back to the defense......and you can throw in (as GrayEagleone suggested) Venegas as well. :thumbsup: