Mean Green Vs. Jarvis Christian Score

Eagle-96

I was at the Pit for the game and Watson and Mangrum looked awesome. I believe Mangrum had 9 points off the bench and Watson had at least 20. We had some nice "show-boat" plays also that got the sparse crowd exctied! GMG!

Basically a scrimmage. A lot of bench players got extended minutes today and the team worked on a few plays. NT was pretty sloppy at times as you could tell it was hard for them to stay focused on the opponent. I don't know why we play NAIA teams during the season. A good sign was that although few students were there the crowd was larger than I anticipated. No band or scrappy there but I did see a full dance team and 9 cheerleaders.

Is there something wrong with Harold Stewart???? I noticed he got zero minutes of playing time today.

Watson posts season-high 27 points

07:26 PM CST on Friday, December 22, 2006

By Brett Vito/Staff Writer

After a five-game road trip capped by a down-to-the-wire win over Western Kentucky on Tuesday, North Texas seemed as if it could use a breather.

That is just what a home game against Jarvis Christian, a member of the NAIA Red River Conference, provided on Friday at the Super Pit.

UNT dominated from the opening tip and coasted to a 94-70 win in the first of consecutive non-conference home games.

"It was a good win for us," UNT head coach Johnny Jones said. "The game served a purpose for us. We had a break in conference play. It was nice to get a game in there where we could look at some guys who don't normally get a lot of minutes and work on some things we need to work on before going back into conference play."

Five players scored in double figures and 12 played for the Mean Green, which appeared ready for the heart of conference play after winning for the fourth time in its last five games.

Senior guard Calvin Watson scored a season-high 27 points and Quincy Williams continued his recent surge by scoring 15 points to go along with five rebounds and two blocked shots. The junior forward moved into 12th place on UNT's career leaders list in blocks with 36.

UNT (9-3) came into the season picked to finish in a tie for second in the Sun Belt Conference's West Division and moved into position for a solid year over the first few weeks of the season. The Mean Green knocked off Rice, Tulsa and Charlotte in non-conference play and picked up a key victory in conference play at WKU.

UNT had lost all seven of its previous games against the Hilltoppers before pulling out a one-point win earlier in the week.

The Mean Green is aiming to carry the momentum it built with that win through a pair of non-conference games before heading back out onto the road for games against Arkansas State and Arkansas-Little Rock in early January.

UNT wasn't perfect against Jarvis, but did more than enough to win and take a step toward that goal.

"We were very happy to be back home, but I was not too pleased with how we won," Watson said. "We didn't have a good feel at the beginning. Once we come back off the break we will be a lot better."

UNT jumped out to a 10-point lead in the first five minutes, but didn't put Jarvis (8-4) away until a 9-2 run at the end of the half to take a 46-30 lead at the break. The Mean Green might have taken control earlier had it stuck with its starters.

Jones started plugging in his reserves early.

The Mean Green's substitution pattern was also disrupted by the absence of forward Harold Stewart. The sophomore forward did not dress out for the game.

Jones said Stewart has some issues to address during the holiday break and could return for a home game against Belhaven on Thursday.

Several of UNT's reserves took advantage of opportunities to play extended minutes against Jarvis. Freshman guard Collin Mangrum scored nine points and pulled down four rebounds. Both totals are career highs.

Sophomore center Justin Howerton posted three points, three assists, two steals and two rebounds in just eight minutes.

"I thought that the guys who came off the bench played at a high enough level," Jones said. "I saw some positive things from guys like Collin Mangrum and Justin Howerton. I wanted to see those guys more."

UNT's players thought they accomplished just what they needed to before heading into their Christmas break.

"We just wanted to get better and work on some things we needed to in order to get better," Williams said. "We wanted to make sure we finished the game strong."

UNT reached that goal and avoided a letdown after its win over WKU.

"The big thing in a game like this is you have to get a win," Jones said. "A lot of times at this time of year guys start to look forward to the break and take it a little too early. Teams can sneak up and get you. We came in focused and played well enough to get a win."

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.

North Texas 94, Jarvis Christian 70

JARVIS CHRISTIAN (8-4) -- Crite 6-12 2-2 15, Winfrey 0-3 0-0 0, Storer 9-12 4-6 22, Braden 0-0 0-0 0, Moses 3-8 0-0 8, Martin 2-9 1-2 5, Woodson 3-12 3-4 10, Warren 1-1 0-0 3, Deflorimonte 0-2 0-0 0, LaSane 1-7 4-4 6, Craft 0-3 1-2 1. Totals 25-69 15-20 70.

NORTH TEXAS (9-3) -- Young 3-6 4-4 11, Williams 6-9 3-4 15, Wooden 3-4 0-3 6, Bell 4-8 1-1 10, Watson 10-16 3-7 27, Ruffin 0-0 1-1 1, Sturns 3-10 4-7 10, Edwards 1-3 0-0 2, Mangrum 2-4 4-4 9, Jackson 0-0 0-0 0, Reinking 0-0 0-0 0, Howerton 1-1 1-2 3. Totals 33-61 21-33 94.

Halftime -- North Texas 46-30. 3-Point Goals -- JC 5-18 (Moses 2-3, Warren 1-1, Crite 1-3, Woodson 1-7, Martin 0-2, Deflorimonte 0-2), UNT 7-23 (Watson 4-9, Young 1-3, Mangrum 1-3, Bell 1-4, Sturns 0-4). Fouled Out -- None. Rebounds --JC 39 (Craft 8), UNT 43 (Watson, Young 7). Assists -- Jarvis Christian 5 (Woodson 3), UNT 19 (Watson 4). Total Fouls -- Jarvis Christian 25, UNT 16. A -- 941.

Several of UNT's reserves took advantage of opportunities to play extended minutes against Jarvis. Freshman guard Collin Mangrum scored nine points and pulled down four rebounds. Both totals are career highs.

Sophomore center Justin Howerton posted three points, three assists, two steals and two rebounds in just eight minutes.

"I thought that the guys who came off the bench played at a high enough level," Jones said. "I saw some positive things from guys like Collin Mangrum and Justin Howerton. I wanted to see those guys more."

Any comments on what you thought about these bench players? Did Jonathon Jackson get to play? How about the other bench players?

Howerton played well, he made his presence known when he was in the game, he does a good job of taking the ball to the basket, and draws alot of fouls, but on the defensive end he seems to have a problem fouling when the other team goes up for a shot..

Mangrum played well, and had a real nice 3 in the first half coming off of a screen. He still looks confused sometimes when the defense applys pressure, but we should see some good things from him in the future.

As for Jonathan Jackson, he came in for the last 2 minutes of the game, and didn't do a whole lot, but he is a big guy, and I think we could use his size more when we play teams with better downlow game.. but I think with Quincy Williams, and Keith Wooden playing so well Jackson is going to have trouble seeing alot of minutes

Edited by Keith7

I think with Quincy Williams, and Keith Wooden playing so well Jackson is going to have trouble seeing alot of minutes

For sure. Wooden is just now getting healthy and for those that have been watching him all season you can tell he was only playing at about 60% when the season started. He is going to be a force down low. When both him and Quincy were in the game they were hitting the post hard and passing the ball to each other. I think they had 3 or 4 assists between them where they dished it to each other for an easy basket.