Rusty Greer

eeally

Heard a rumor that Rusty Greer is the heir apparent to the manager role of the future UNT baseball team. A friend says that he was on the hardline and mentioned wanting to coach a metroplex college starting a program!

I also saw this on the "Baseball" thread.

Anyone shed some light on this? If we signed Rusty that would be huge!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by eeally

Heard a rumor that Rusty Greer is the heir apparent to the manager role of the future UNT baseball team. A friend says that he was on the hardline and mentioned wanting to coach a metroplex college starting a program!

I also say this on the "Baseball" thread.

Any shed some light on this?  If we signed Rusty that would be huge!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rusty Greer is a class act, and while that would be huge, his comment about coaching at a metroplex college starting a program could be someone besides us. Plus, that could also be wishful thinking. Kinda like when Eric Pegram mentioned he'd like to be NT's new running backs coach. Sometimes things just don't work out the way you'd like them to.

Besides, this is all speculation until RV announces that we're actually going to have said baseball team.

Anyone  shed some light on this?  If we signed Rusty that would be huge!!!!!!!!!!!!

He didn't say that was what he was going to do, but that would be a situation he would be interested in. Coincidence?

If RV could pull this off then I would say that he's one miracle short of Saint status.

I think Rusty would be a great manager.

Anyone shed some light on this? If we signed Rusty that would be huge!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greer was recently named head coach of Euless ( I believe ) of the TCL league.

TCU and UTA already play baseball. If not us, leading suspects for a start-up would be SMU or UTD. Anyone know if those schools have baseball plans ?

UTD already has a 3 or 4 year old program and a field on campus. Not sure where SMU would play if they chose to open up a program. Reverschon is outdated for C-USA calibre, but continues to be kept up by 3rd party with help from the city. They cannot find room for a Bush library, much less a BB field, unless they used the HPHS field. It is not deep enough to hold the college game in my opinion, but a very nice field.

Yeah, SMU dropping T&F was a killer i think. I ran in high school, and so many of my friends were all gung ho about going to SMU. Then they dropped the mens program and decided on womens equestrian.... couldnt they have dropped a worse mens program?

I think we need soccer instead of baseball. Soccer is way more exciting in my book

Hey future NT Baseball fans- there are a couple of guys right in our backyard that know a thing or two about baseball-

Danny Darwin, lives up in Valley View, TX, is now a AA team manager in the Dogers organization.

Kevin Darwin, lives in the Gainesville TX area, (Danny's brother) won a national JR college championship at Cook county JR college. Was head coach for 3-4 years, and always had winning records and teams.

Jeff Darwin--I beleive lives in Denton, played in the minor league system, but shoulder injury ended his career chances.

Yeah, SMU dropping T&F was a killer i think. I ran in high school, and so many of my friends were all gung ho about going to SMU. Then they dropped the mens program and decided on womens equestrian.... couldnt they have dropped a worse mens program?

I think we need soccer instead of baseball. Soccer is way more exciting in my book

I'd be happy with either one, wish we could have both. And I think we could support both pretty well too. Just that mens soccer would be harder to fill a schedule in the current conference, and travel sites for roadies would most likely be farther than most current sports. Baseball should be able to land some big OOC series each year and be competitive.

One other thing I intend to do.....speaking of men's soccer and its importance. I am meaning to pull the Round of 32 and 16's from this years womens NCAA teams and see how many had men's programs. I'll do that in another post. I believe it is underestimated how significant a role mens soccer plays in pushing womens teams to the next level. Denver has that luxury..... I think it shows in the training benefit, the style of play, and the attendance. So in that regard, I'd like to see mens soccer aded at UNT.

Hey future NT Baseball fans- there are a couple of guys right in our backyard that know a thing or two about baseball-

Danny Darwin, lives up in Valley View, TX, is now a AA team manager in the Dogers organization.

Kevin Darwin, lives in the Gainesville TX area, (Danny's brother) won a national JR college championship at Cook county JR college. Was head coach for 3-4 years, and always had winning records and teams.

Jeff Darwin--I beleive lives in Denton, played in the minor league system, but shoulder injury ended his career chances.

Also in the area are Pete Incaviglia ( who lives right across the street from me ) who last year was a hitting coach with the AA Detroit Tigers. Larry Carter who lives in Corinth.He played for the Giants , last year was a pitching coach in the KC Royals organization. And Jim Chamblee who played for the Reds and now runs the baseball school in Cortinth across from NCTC.

Kevin Darwin would be my top pick, he has already one a JUCO National Champion for NCTC, (NOT COOKE COUNTY JR. COLLEGE!! :angry: ) but ya, i'm surprised to hear Danny Darwin is manager of a AA team, the last time I heard of him coaching was for the Pilot Point High schools' pitchers (not even head coach).. I've never heard of Jeff Darwin, I think u may have just gotten carried away with the darwins.. Also many of Kevin Darwin's coaches and players he helped recruit are still at NCTC, and could come over to make us competitive real quick, all the players I ever talked to while in school enjoyed Coach Darwin not only as a coach but as a person

Also in the area are Pete Incaviglia ( who lives right across the street from me ) who last year was a hitting coach with the AA Detroit Tigers. Larry Carter who lives in Corinth.He played for the Giants , last year was a pitching coach in the KC Royals organization. And Jim Chamblee who played for the Reds and now runs the baseball school in Cortinth across from NCTC.

Pete Incaviglia as hitting coach ? Isn't that like having Cecil Fielder as baserunning coach ?

Mark Maclamore runs a sports complex in Rockwall.

Mark Mclemore - 19 yrs major league infielder, Warren Newson - Texas Rangers, Homer Bush - New York Yankees, Jack Lazorko - California Angels/Milwaukee Brewers, Kevin “Scooter” Jordan - Texas Tech and Rowlett High Outfielder, Evan Williams, Darren Oliver - Texas Rangers/New York Mets are the staff.

http://mcsportscomplex.org/index.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Just to shed some light on this subject.

Jeff Darwin is living in the Gainesville area as well, working for the Coors/Miller Lite Distribution Center out of Wichita Falls.

There is another coach that I would like to see considered and I know from first hand experience that he is interested in the job if we were to start a program and that is

Derek Matlock

He was an assistant for TCU the last couple of years, is the current Lake Dallas head coach and Denton Outlaws Head Coach.

Hey now...it's COOKE County. Don't forget the 'E'. That's home...

It's North Central Texas College now.

;)