Sporting News Reporting

Harry

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=154671

Jimbo mojo

LSU offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher will interview for the North Texas job this weekend, I'm told. Fisher also has been mentioned for the openings at N.C. State and Arizona State. But Fisher may have to cut his teeth at a lesser job first. If he's willing to seriously consider North Texas, that's further indication of how badly he wants out of LSU amid talk that he and coach Les Miles don't get along well.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=154671

Jimbo mojo

LSU offensive coordinator Jimbo Fisher will interview for the North Texas job this weekend, I'm told. Fisher also has been mentioned for the openings at N.C. State and Arizona State. But Fisher may have to cut his teeth at a lesser job first. If he's willing to seriously consider North Texas, that's further indication of how badly he wants out of LSU amid talk that he and coach Les Miles don't get along well.

Intriguing name. I assume Fisher already there when Miles took over?

I cant blame anyone for not wanting to be around Les Miles. From what I have heard from folks at Ok State, the guy was a bit of a, um, jerk.

RV was at LSU from 91-94/ Jimbo from 2001 until present so there isn't a direct connection there that I can tell. Still an impressive candidate and if he is interviewing kudos to Rick for making it happen. UNT would have to really step it money-wise to even get this guy to consider the job so again if Sporting News is accurate I am impressed and encouraged.

I'm on board with this guy.  This is a big step up; former SMU OC to former LSU OC.

All those in favor....

You're all clear RV, make the offer!!

I don't want RV to jump the gun and offer the first guy that accepts an interview. Don't get me wrong, I think Fisher has the offensive pedigree we are looking for and he is coming from a top rated BCS school and all, but I would like to read in the DRC that the list has been narrowed to X number of people and that they will be interviewed accordingly.

You wouldn't want to say yes to the first girl that says she will go to the dance with you and then find out that the head cheerleader was interested but you never called her.

If Fisher actually interviews it raises a couple of questions –

1) Is he trying to use UNT to leverage another school? I hate to sound pessimistic, but it’s hard to believe we could afford him.

2) If we are going to pay at his level, even if he say’s no this could lead to a whole different level of candidates

I don't want RV to jump the gun and offer the first guy that accepts an interview. Don't get me wrong, I think Fisher has the offensive pedigree we are looking for and he is coming from a top rated BCS school and all, but I would like to read in the DRC that the list has been narrowed to X number of people and that they will be interviewed accordingly.

You wouldn't want to say yes to the first girl that says she will go to the dance with you and then find out that the head cheerleader was interested but you never called her.

And who do you think is the head cheerleader?

And who do you think is the head cheerleader?

Maybe that was a bad analogy using the head cheerleader. How about:

A real pretty girl that is as good looking as the first but wants you to take her to Sizzler instead of Morton's.

I think the point I was tying to make is that I don't want RV to jump on the first coach that says they will interview. I would hope that there would be at least 3-4 interviews if not more.

Edited by Eagle-96

Maybe that was a bad analogy using the head cheerleader. How about:

A real pretty girl that is as good looking as the first but wants you to take her to Sizzler instead of Morton's.

I think the point I was tying to make is that I don't want RV to jump on the first coach that says they will interview. I would hope that there would be at least 3-4 interviews if not more.

Gotcha. Just didn't know if I had missed a big name out there.

If Fisher actually interviews it raises a couple of questions –

1) Is he trying to use UNT to leverage another school?

Does it really matter?? You think UNT is any aspiring coach's "dream job"??

Maybe it will be one day...but we're a looong way from that right now.

This guy was the OC of the 2003 co-National Championship team (#1 in ESPN/USA Today poll).

I don't care if it's the 1st interview, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 20th. I just want someone who will take UNT from purgatory to a respected, winning program. blink.gif

I actually meant that I hope that 3-4 candidates will be interviewed for the job. Sorry for the wealth of confusion I seem to be spreading today. biggrin.gif

Edited by Eagle-96

Does it really matter??  You think UNT is any aspiring coach's "dream job"?? 

Maybe it will be one day...but we're a looong way from that right now.

This guy was the OC of the 2003 co-National Championship team (#1 in ESPN/USA Today poll).

He was the OC of THE national championship team. The AP poll can get bent. When the schools agreed to the BCS system, that was the system they agreed would decide who would be the national champion.

I also dont mind if someone is stopping in for 5 years to jump to a bigger program. I understand this job isnt exactly anyone's dream job, and that playing for a national title is impossible in a nonBCS school. Id happily take someone giving their all here for a while and whatever improvements come along with it.

I hate to sound like a jerk, but is there anyone better than this guy on the market now?

I love that we can sit and talk and throw around names, but 99% of the people we are talking about are unproven at the D-1 level. They were successul at a small school, at the D-2 level, at the Texas HS Level, or as a position coach. You do not have too many D1, National Championsip, Offensive Minded, Amazing Recruiters, Coaches knocking down Miami's, NC States, or ASU's door and we have one that is willing to take a chance at a school that is trying to move to the upper crust of D1 football programs. Who would not take a guy like that?

I understand that he is giving very serious consideration to UNT (especially over a place like Cincy) and I am sure that he sees the HC at UNT is as great of a job as we all do!!!!

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!