Sporting News Reporting

Harry

First off: I would love to have Jimbo Fisher here as coach. But if he does come to UNT, we better understand what it will take to keep him.

Look at the photo of LSU's packed stadium that Stan R posted. THAT is what a coach like Fisher is accustomed to.

Now, he wouldn't be foolish enough to expect that in his first year at UNT, but he is going to expect more than 9,000 or 12,000 or 15,000 in attendance. The heck with the tortillas - its vocal, mass support that is needed. He's going to expect significant support from the community and significant fans in the stands. If anyone from a major program is going to stay at UNT longer than lunch, he's also going to expect real and rapid progress on a new stadium.

I know, very personally, that when Jerry Moore came here from Nebraska in 1979 his expectations were sky high as to how he would be treated and supported. And I know that the empty seats and disinterested community disheartened and angered Moore, and he left quickly.

If you hire someone like Fisher (and I favor doing so), then we better fill that stadium. And we better get to work on funding and building a new one.

Edited by Smitty

This is the first name I've heard that I just think "no-freaking-BRAINER." And it's the most LEGITIMATE contact we've heard of!

If this guy was hired at NC State or Miami, there would be little if any criticism. What does that tell you?

Good job, RV -- even if we can't land Fisher for whatever reason, a strong, strong message has been sent.

Here's a little different perspective: Fisher has to know what football is like in Texas. The UNT job may be a "lesser job" right now; but has a substantially higher ceiling than his other suitors.

He has to realize that he would be recruiting in the heart of Texas football, and would a demi-god in these parts if he could untap all the potential at UNT.

One more thing: RV got him to campus. That means folks are really taking our job opening seriously. And I give RV very good odds once he has a guy on campus. Talking with RV really gets your blood excited about UNT football; and I think if anyone could talk a top SEC coordinator to coming to UNT it would be RV.

Here's a little different perspective: Fisher has to know what football is like in Texas.  The UNT job may be a "lesser job" right now; but has a substantially higher ceiling than his other suitors.

He has to realize that he would be recruiting in the heart of Texas football, and would a demi-god in these parts if he could untap all the potential at UNT.

One more thing: RV got him to campus.  That means folks are really taking our job opening seriously.  And I give RV very good odds once he has a guy on campus.  Talking with RV really gets your blood excited about UNT football; and I think if anyone could talk a top SEC coordinator to coming to UNT it would be RV.

When RV buys Jimbo some kettle corn then I think the deal will be sealed.

Edited by Eagle-96

If you hire someone like Fisher (and I favor doing so), then we better fill that stadium. And we better get to work on funding and building a new one.

Wrong, the next coach needs to provide a product worthy of filling the stadium. We give him a paycheck, and he OWES us a worthwhile product. BTW, we are working on funding and building a new stadium.

Wrong, the next coach needs to provide a product worthy of filling the stadium. We give him a paycheck, and he OWES us a worthwhile product. BTW, we are working on funding and building a new stadium.

We have had winning teams, worthy of a full house, and we still haven't filled Fouts. Coming off our first bowl season, North Texas hosted New Mexico State for the Sun Belt title and a birth in the New Orleans Bowl. A Division I-A conference championship game, at home. It was an absolutely amazing game, but the attendance was just 20,064. Good for UNT, but pathetic for a Division I-A title game. Ten thousand shy of full. In 2004, attendance for the conference-clinching home game was 14,583. That won't cut it.

The idea of, prove-you're-worthy-then-I'll-show-up, isn't exactly supportive. We need to be at that stadium in force to support the new coach. From Day 1.

And we've been working on funding and building a new stadium for years, and we're still years away.

There is no try. Do, or do not.

Edited by Smitty

I would be ecstatic if we could actually land this caliber of coach. If we can get an Offensive Coordinator from a top school then the I-AA and HS coaches should just be considered as assistants. But that is IF we could get someone thie high up to come here. I would would be so optimistic people would slap me. Look out OU, we're coming for you in September.

Guest Aquila_Viridis

We have had winning teams, worthy of a full house, and we still haven't filled Fouts. Coming off our first bowl season, North Texas hosted New Mexico State for the Sun Belt title and a birth in the New Orleans Bowl. A Division I-A conference championship game, at home. It was an absolutely amazing game, but the attendance was just 20,064. Good for UNT, but pathetic for a Division I-A title game. Ten thousand shy of full. In 2004, attendance for the conference-clinching home game was 14,583. That won't cut it.

The idea of, prove-you're-worthy-then-I'll-show-up, isn't exactly supportive. We need to be at that stadium in force to support the new coach. From Day 1.

And we've been working on funding and building a new stadium for years, and we're still years away.

There is no try. Do, or do not.

One thing I would expect in a serious coach is ideas and aptitude for building fan support. It is more than just winning some games. People - a lot of people - will have to like the guy. Now if he wins ALL the games, maybe not so much. However, I think before we would ever be winning all the games, we would need to build fan support to improve facilities and experience. There is a very circular aspect to all this, as one part of it depends on another, and that is the challenge and the fascination in it. I think the key is commitment to start big on it somewhere and then the rest will follow big. The most sensible place to start big is on the coach and assistants. Put the right group there, and the rest will follow. This is the part we can control right now, but it requires investment and immediate commitment to raise substantial funds to support it.

Edited by Aquila_Viridis