NT daily article

Stan R

If Mac gets over the Dickey ouster, it will be good news for the program. We need all of the boosters we can get, especially ones who are willing to write checks with five or six zeroes in them.

thank you!

this is a good thing to hear peoples. I still dont understand the "holding hostage" comments. we didnt have to take the money, nor did we have to appropriate it to the things he requested- they could always send it back.

He got emotional and wrote a scathing letter to support a friend he felt had been unjustly fired. Big deal. He just has the means to make his opinion more audible than the rest of us. The guy gave us a million bucks. That has to count for something... yes, he beats me down, yes he is often in it for what he can get out of it, but in the end, him making a big deal out of it just got our names read in the headlines of national media several times a day!

if i had to do it all again, Id want it to work out the exact same way.

Edited by Eagle1855

thank you!

this is a good thing to hear peoples. I still dont understand the "holding hostage" comments. we didnt have to take the money, nor did we have to appropriate it to the things he requested- they could always send it back.

He got emotional and wrote a scathing letter to support a friend he felt had been unjustly fired. Big deal. He just has the means to make his opinion more audible than the rest of us. The guy gave us a million bucks. That has to count for something...

in the end, him making a big deal out of it just got our names read in the headlines of national media several times a day!

if i had to do it all again, Id want it to work out the exact same way.

There is a class way to do things and a classless way.... dry.gif

There is a class way to do things and a classless way....  dry.gif

i didnt realize our athletic department was in a position to say "sorry, you arent classy enough to donate your millions, thanks anyways"

im not arguing whether or not what he did was right or wrong, I just think it turned out fine. He annoys me, I get tired of him involving himself in everything. On the flipside, he donated a hell of a lot of money- he's entitled to his opinion, whether he's right or wrong.

i didnt realize our athletic department was in a position to say "sorry, you arent classy enough to donate your millions, thanks anyways"

im not arguing whether or not what he did was right or wrong, I just think it turned out fine. He annoys me, I get tired of him involving himself in everything. On the flipside, he donated a hell of a lot of money- he's entitled to his opinion, whether he's right or wrong.

.....and I'm entitled to dismiss his comments as shameless self-promoting....and nothing else. dry.gif

.....and I'm entitled to dismiss his comments as shameless self-promoting....and nothing else. dry.gif

Do you aspire for North Texas to become a mid-major (or better) program?

That road is paved with six- and seven-figure donors, many of whom lean on their ADs and school presidents much harder than Mattress Mac.

On the off chance he's reading this forum, thanks for the donation and thanks for caring enough about the program to buy a $5,000 full-page ad in the DRC. I think you're wrong about the decision to fire Coach Dickey, especially given the events of the past Saturday, but I'm glad you're involved in the program.

Guys, let's give this a rest. As soon as they change the nameplate on the practice field to Darrell Dickey Field, notify Mattress Mac the change has been made according to his wishes. At the same time, include a New Stadium Committment packet, with a nice letter expressing our appreciation that we can count on him to help in our stadium funding campaign.

Kill them with kindness - then take their money! cool.gif

I say we bury the hatchet and let him know how very much we appreciate him. Then bring him in for help to raise stadium funds. He's knowledgible, and successful, when it comes to marketing and promotion, and has alway's had a passion for that. I would let him know that in the least we are willing to listen to any marketing suggestions he may have. I wouldn't be surprised if he and Lawson & Associates know each other. It would be nothing but good if we had them both on the same team.

Rick

Hey Mattress Mac has always had Mean Green in his blood. If a million dollar donatation to the athletic dept doesnt say that, then I dont know what does...

The donation is great (after being gone 35 years), and I do appreciate it for the program. The support stated at the time of the gift (2 years ago) was because he likes DD and the job he was doing and he would continue to help UNT "as long as DD was coach". Now, when DD is not doing so well and we want to change directions, MM cries foul and wants his "already spent" money given to Music if the recognition sign isn't changed to DD. I don't see much Mean Green blood there. But, I'll give him another chance to buy my forgiveness...I have 60 million ways he can do it! tongue.gif

I say we bury the hatchet and let him know how very much we appreciate him.  Then bring him in for help to raise stadium funds.  He's knowledgible, and successful, when it comes to marketing and promotion, and has alway's had a passion for that.  I would let him know that in the least we are willing to listen to any marketing suggestions he may have.  I wouldn't be surprised if he and Lawson & Associates know each other.  It would be nothing but good if we had them both on the same team.

Rick

Good points Rick!!!

Guest GrayEagleOne

I was also against any gift with strings attached but it's time to cut MM some slack. I wish that he'd been on board for all of his years since graduation but I'm glad that he's on board now.

He tried to protect his friend and it didn't work out. Maybe he understands that now and still wants to help. Even when he tried to force the issue, he didn't say that he would withdraw his donation, only that it would go elsewhere within North Texas.

Let's see, he has donated $1 million to UNT, supported sending the team to the funeral of a teammate, and his son is attending UNT. All who have done more than that, raise your hands.

The man played on our football team, and gives millions to the school. He has every right as former student/athlete and big time donor to speak his mind. While I admit, I didn't care for his DRC ad, it didn't harm us in any way either. And so what if he gets advertising and exposure for his business. Most sponsors do. Should we shame Sonic since they didn't support us out of the goodness of their heart? He reached out to us through the media with his green blood comment, and we should welcome him back with open arms... like all families do after a silly argument. We'd be crazy not too.

While I admit, I didn't care for his DRC ad, it didn't harm us in any way either.

The national press his ad got was critical, but it's still national press. I think it's a sign of a maturing program that people care more about stuff like this. I expect we'll get more media attention for the hire of Dickey's replacement.