Tonights Officials

MeanGreenBuzz

Kelly Self, Mike Thibodeaux, Terry Oglesby

I seem to remember Thibodeaux catching alot of flack last season for his officiating.  I remember one game he officiated here, but can't remember who we played that was one of the worst called games I had ever seen.  Can anyone remember what game it was?

Honestly, I can't remember the last well officiated game I have seen. Nowadays it is just the degree of how badly a game is officiated. This goes for all levels of basketball I have seen over the past number of years.

Honestly, I can't remember the last well officiated game I have seen. Nowadays it is just the degree of how badly a game is officiated. This goes for all levels of basketball I have seen over the past number of years.

Bottom line is we got beat by a team that played more aggressive...we didnt play well enough the win the officials didn't cost us this game.....yeah, the shot wasn't off but it shouldn't ahve come down to that im sure johnny jones is telling the guys the same thing

Edited by mwynn05

I spoke with several of the Mean Green players after the game, and none of them had seen the replay yet of the final UTA basket made after time expired; however, to my surprise none of our players cared....AT ALL. Each player told me more or less the same thing: we shouldn't let our game be determined by one officiating call. And as Johnny Jones walked out from tunnel, I asked him if he had seen the replay, and he said no... he shook my hand and gave me gentle pat on the back and said he wasn't that concerned about it. By the way, Johnny Jones is such a classy guy. I really hope that he is with UNT for many years. You can tell by the way he speaks to fans, the media, and his players, he really loves being coach of UNT basketball.

I have to say I liked what I heard from the players, no excuses. This team wants to control their own destiny and not rely outside forces, bad officiating or not. I can only hope this game was simply a set back, and that we will come on strong for the rest of the season.

I spoke with several of the Mean Green players after the game, and none of them had seen the replay yet of the final UTA basket made after time expired; however, to my surprise none of our players cared....AT ALL.  Each player told me more or less the same thing: we shouldn't let our game be determined by one officiating call.  And as Johnny Jones walked out from tunnel, I asked him if he had seen the replay, and he said no... he shook my hand and gave me gentle pat on the back and said he wasn't that concerned about it. By the way, Johnny Jones is such a classy guy.  I really hope that he is with UNT for many years.  You can tell by the way he speaks to fans, the media, and his players, he really loves being coach of UNT basketball.

I have to say I liked what I heard from the players, no excuses. This team wants to control their own destiny and not rely outside forces, bad officiating or not. I can only hope this game was simply a set back, and that we will come on strong for the rest of the season.

One cared....a lot. Quite a mess back there...

Kelly Self, Mike Thibodeaux, Terry Oglesby

I seem to remember Thibodeaux catching alot of flack last season for his officiating.  I remember one game he officiated here, but can't remember who we played that was one of the worst called games I had ever seen.  Can anyone remember what game it was?

Something wasn't equal:

Free throws:

UTA = 30

UNT = 6

Most of that difference is because they were attacking the basket and we were not....Another thing is we committed some fouls when they were in the bonus

Especially since they got in the bonus with over 13 minutes to go....

all UTA had to do was get the ball to the paint and the refs would call a foul

I suppose they all took keen interest in, and notes of the play of that bulldozer free-throw squirrel that the NBA calls their new super star player down in Miami last summer. Give him the ball, watch him run into anyone remotely close to him and call the foul, see him sink free throws all night for the win.

Don't you just love basketball?

Rick

I suppose they all took keen interest in, and notes of the play of that bulldozer free-throw squirrel that the NBA calls their new super star player down in Miami last summer.  Give him the ball, watch him run into anyone remotely close to him and call the foul, see him sink free throws all night for the win.

Don't you just love basketball?

Rick

thats NBA tho, NCAA games arn't supposed to be fixed like that

thats NBA tho, NCAA games arn't supposed to be fixed like that

Oh I know. I'm just being sarcastic out of frustration like everyone else here tonight. But I get so sick of watching games getting decided by the whistle. I know it's a necessary evil but it's almost along the same lines of the "Holding Call" in football. You could call it every down, but you don't. So what makes you call it one time and not the other?

Rick

Last night was my first Basketball game in several years. I hated that we lost on a bogus buzzer beater, but I had a great time. The Super Pit looks awesome! My kids had a great time. My daughter - dressed in her North Texas cheerleader outfit was able to meet with the cheerleaders after the game and was in heaven. I certainly will be back. I think good things are in store for our team.

I don't like to see us so dependant on the 3 point shot. We really didn't shoot very well last night.

However, all in all, I had a great time. I will absolutely be back!

It was a thriller, no doubt about that. I was just irked by seeing that replay confirm what I thought I saw...

Which was basically the UTA player's feet still on the floor as the goallights turn on and signal end of the game. The officiating was so bad last night, I started yelling "Alamo Bowl" because it was just that bad.

I am glad to hear our guys didn't like that loss and took a lot of personal responsibility for it. Just come back in force and play a clean game and they'll be okay next game.