Thank you RV & Dr Bataille

Cooley

Evidently Jim McIngvale didn’t get the memo that we were not joining the Sunbelt Conference to stay in the Sunbelt Conference. Our Athletic Department did a great job of helping craft a conference friendly Sunbelt where we should be expected to excel. The Sunbelt was and still should be, a stop gap conference, where we should run the table year end and out (until a regional Conference USA type conference come calling.

"Dickey Ball" has been destructive to the blue print. 4-Conference Championships with "Dickey Ball" have not generated any interest in the minds of area recruits and our growing student body.

Darrell has put a boring product on the field for 9 years where it has not been remotely competitive outside the worse conference in all of football. Our recruiting classes had become sub par by even Sunbelt standards.

Thank you for staying true to the vision!

I can appreciate the loyalty Mattress Mac has shown Darrell Dickey. The facts are Mr McIngvale, UNT is honoring the last 2 years (or 3) of his contract. RV, and others, have been very patient with Darrell Dickey, as he has been here longer than any other coach in modern North Texas history.

I was one of the fans in attendance (during half-time of a men’s game) when Mattress Mac proclaimed his love for UNT as the main reason for his 1mm donation.

Though we hurting for money, I would rather go down to D1 AA or drop football for a while, instead of taking money from alums with the type of strings attached as those of Jim McIngvale.

Why would Darrell Dickey, or any other person with any semblance of pride, want a facility named after them under such circumstance? We should not even remotely entertain naming anything, let alone Hall of Fame, for a coach with a losing record? Our program should be better than that!

If need be, I say, send the million dollars back to McIngvale and tell him to stick the money up his mattress.

If you feel a need to, in fact, name the field after Dickey, it should be called, “The Practice Field in Denton, named for Darrell Dickey because Jim McIngvale held us hostage”

Just my opinion!

Dickey was here for nine years....that means Mac gave his good buddy $110,000 a year on average for football. We have donors who give that much annually, although not always to athletics. Hell, we have gotten over 3 million to the university over the last month or so. Only difference? Those donors did not want to have their names in neon and control the areas of the university they donated to.

I don't see what the big deal is... just name the field DD, keep the much needed million dollars, and move on. Case closed.

PS: He could have saved himself $5,000 and just called UNT to tell them to name it DD.

Edited by chrisfisher

Evidently Jim McIngvale didn’t get the memo that we were not joining the Sunbelt Conference to stay in the Sunbelt Conference. Our Athletic Department did a great job of helping craft a conference friendly Sunbelt where we should be  expected to excel. The Sunbelt was and still should be, a stop gap conference, where we should run the table year end and out (until a regional Conference USA type conference come calling.

"Dickey Ball" has been destructive to the blue print. 4-Conference Championships with "Dickey Ball" have not generated any interest in the minds of area recruits and our growing student body. 

Darrell has put a boring product on the field for 9 years where it has not been remotely competitive outside the worse conference in all of football. Our recruiting classes had become sub par by even Sunbelt standards.

Thank you for staying true to the vision!

I can appreciate the loyalty Mattress Mac has shown Darrell Dickey. The facts are  Mr McIngvale, UNT is  honoring  the last 2 years (or 3) of his contract. RV, and others, have been very patient with Darrell Dickey, as he  has been here longer than any other coach in modern North Texas history. 

I was one of the fans in attendance (during half-time of a men’s game) when Mattress Mac proclaimed his love for UNT as the main reason for his 1mm donation.

Though we hurting for money, I would rather go down to D1 AA or drop football for a while, instead of taking  money from alums with the type of strings attached as those of Jim McIngvale.

Why would Darrell Dickey, or any other person with any semblance of pride, want a facility named after them under such circumstance? We should not even remotely entertain naming anything, let alone Hall of Fame, for a coach with a losing record? Our program should be better than that!

If need be, I say, send the million dollars back to  McIngvale and tell him to  stick the money up his mattress.

If you feel a need to, in fact, name the field after Dickey, it should be called, “The Practice Field in Denton, named for Darrell Dickey because Jim McIngvale held us hostage”

Just my opinion!

Excellent Post! Very well stated.

I don't see what the big deal is... just name the field DD, keep the much needed million dollars, and move on.  Case closed.

PS: He could have saved himself $5,000 and just called UNT to tell them to name it DD.

This guy has a history for the dramatic, and has acted like a brat in Houston and now here.

Thank you RV & Dr Bataille keep up the good fight we are with you.

Edited by KingDL1

I don't see what the big deal is... just name the field DD, keep the much needed million dollars, and move on.  Case closed.

Since MM has already given the money, designated where it should be spent, and the athletic department has spent it, does he still have a right to change where the money goes?

It's like getting money for a graduation gift from some rich relative, and then 2 years later saying "I want you to go to law school or give me the money back!" The money is already gone. Now, if he had promised another million this year and had yet to write the check, I could understand, but geez....

Yeah, he took out a full page ad, rather than send a letter to all of the decision makers. From what I've heard, he seems to do that a lot (take out newpaper ads to express his opinions).

So Chris, what would the guys over at the psychology dept have to say about that behavior?

Edited by SilverEagle

Yeah, he took out a full page ad, rather than send a letter to all of the decision makers. From what I've heard, he seems to do that a lot (take out newpaper ads to express his opinions).

So Chris,  what would the guys over at the psychology dept have to say about that behavior?

I don't think his Mamma gave him enough attention as a youngster. He was also probably potty trained before he was ready... he should seek treatment immediately cool.gif

I support Mr. McIngvale 100% in his decision to name the practice facility after Coach Dickey, and I also salute his loyalty to his friend.

Let's face facts, for his donation he can name the facility after anyone that he wants. If the facility isn't going to be named for the donor, then I would much rather have it named after a Hall Of Fame coach than after some other person not even connected to the university.

Actually, even without the donation, I would still like to see something dedicated to each of our HOF coaches. Someday people will be talking about the Dickey years in the same way people now talk about the Fry years: deny it, but you all know it's true. I hope we have something besides printed material to remember them. There was nothing on campus dedicated to Hayden Fry when I was at North Texas during the 1980s, and where are the monuments to the golf championships?

We have a proud heritage, we just need need a few reminders of it.

Edited by ADLER

I support Mr. McIngvale 100% in his decision to name the practice facility after Coach Dickey, and I also salute his loyalty to his friend.

Let's face facts, for his donation he can name the facility after anyone that he wants. If the facility isn't going to be named for the donor, then I would much rather have it named after a Hall Of Fame coach than after some other person not even connected to the university.

Actually, even without the donation, I would still like to see something dedicated to each of our HOF coaches. Someday people will be talking about the Dickey years in the same way people now talk about the Fry years: deny it, but you all know it's true. I hope we have something besides printed material to remember them. There was nothing on campus dedicated to Hayden Fry when I was at North Texas during the 1980s, and where are the monuments to the golf championships?

We have a proud heritage, we just need need a few reminders of it.

I agree. I have no problem naming the practice field whatever he wants. It is a common and accepted practice to respect the donor's wishes for naming buildings they helped fund.

Mr. McIngvale, we thank you for your donations. In fact, if you'd like to donate additional millions for our new stadium, we'd also name that after you or anyone else that you want.

Edited by chrisfisher

Rick,

Just a quick note of my support to you and your decision to terminate coach Dickey. I agree completely of his firing; the program can now move forward forthwith. I trust you'll find someone with Texas high school recruiting experience; perhaps someone from a well respected division-1A program.

Again, thanks for your decision. We all needed this change!

Go Mean Green!