New Stadium--- is it a Hoax...

UNT_playmaker

We will have a law school at UNT at 2009//// the money is coming from the state.

As far as a stadium, we wont. RV needs to start his fundrasing campaign soon, he is just putting this off and has not even started since there is no stadium plan..

Im starting to think this whole stadium plan is a hoax....there is not even any money into the project whats so ever....and this has been all talk since he got here at this university.

I mean seriously guys, the money is supposed to be coming from us donors and big pledges from affluent people...Nobody has made any contribtuions, no big donors are even being courted, and their is no money set aside....

No Stadium.....will go up, everything else that was proposed has been built

by the way.... RV. ..... dont lie to us at UNT and say that CUSA didnt turn us down because we didnt have a new stadium, you damn well knew it was a direct reason why they turned us down.....we didnt have a big nice newer venue, we lost countless new recruits, fans and also the chance to be in a conference destined for UNT, we have a dump to play in, the local Denton HS has a better venue, we cant even get teams to come play here in Denton...

Has anyone ever watched a UNT game played at Fouts Field on ESPN. It looks like we are playing in a abondoned high school stadium from the 60's ....pathetic.

We had just come off of 4 Div. 1 titles conference titles, 4 bowl trips, 2 rushing champions, 4 coach of the years awards, 10 time increase in attendance, great game atmosphere and also huge wins Cincy, Baylor, Tech....

WHy wouldnt CUSA pick us, we were the leading contender, TCU left, SMU needed a new cross-town rival..Well now we lost our momentum and are program is dwindling, we had our chance but our idiot student body at the time decides to vote against a stadium, but approve a health center, rec center, and probably a animal clinc on campus if it was propsed....

The blame goes to the then student body who voted against it and our current administration for not letting this great idea to ever get off the ground. mad.gif

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd bet almost anything the football stadium was not the main reason we were left out of CUSA. For one thing, football isn't the be all end all of conferense shakeups, otherwise why would a school like Marquette get a Big East invite?

The fact that we weren't particularly competitive in any sport other than football in the SBC hurt us. As did SMU being in the DFW market. As did no baseball team. There are numerous factors that caused us to get squeezed.

I do doubt we'll replace Fouts anytime soon though - I'll agree with you there.

Edited by CMJ

We will have a law school at UNT at 2009//// the money is coming from the state.

As far as a stadium, we wont. RV needs to start his fundrasing campaign soon, he is just putting this off and has not even started since there is no stadium plan..

Im starting to think this whole stadium plan is a hoax....there is not even any money into the project whats so ever....and this has been all talk since he got here at this university.

I mean seriously guys, the money is supposed to be coming from us donors and big pledges from affluent people...Nobody has made any contribtuions, no big donors are even being courted, and their is no money set aside....

No Stadium.....will go up, everything else that was proposed has been built

by the way.... RV. ..... dont lie to us at UNT and say that CUSA didnt turn us down because we didnt have a new stadium,  you damn well knew it was a direct reason why they turned us down.....we didnt have a big nice newer venue, we lost countless new recruits, fans and also the chance to be in a conference destined for UNT, we have a dump to play in, the local Denton HS has a better venue, we cant even get teams to come play here in Denton...

Has anyone ever watched a UNT game played at Fouts Field on ESPN.  It looks like we are playing in a abondoned high school stadium from the 60's ....pathetic.

We had just come off of 4 Div. 1 titles conference titles, 4 bowl trips, 2 rushing champions, 4 coach of the years awards, 10 time increase in attendance, great game atmosphere and also huge wins Cincy, Baylor, Tech....

WHy wouldnt CUSA pick us, we were the leading contender, TCU left, SMU needed a new cross-town rival..Well now we lost our momentum and are program is dwindling, we had our chance but our idiot student body at the time decides to vote against a stadium, but approve a health center, rec center, and probably a animal clinc on campus if it was propsed....

The blame goes to the then student body who voted against it and our current administration for not letting this great idea to ever get off the ground. mad.gif

I agree. If UNT had a stadium fund with a plan, clearly defined. I'm sure we could get donations. I would contribute.

and you know all this..... how?

Also, CUSA looked at other sports besides football, you know. You know, the ones we aren't very good at....

We are especially bad at the sports we don't have, LIKE BASEBALL! College baseball is no longer the backwater sport that it was 20 years ago. When you consider the high school talent level right here in the North Texas area, baseball could bring the university a HUGE amount of recognition. I don't care if we can only afford to play as an independent and schedule regional teams exclusively, we have got to get baseball going. If a little school like Dallas Baptist can have a big-time program, then why can't we? Are we trying to emulate SMU by being pretty much the only other traditional university in the State of Texas devoid of a baseball program? Ridiculous!

I'd bet almost anything the football stadium was not the main reason we were left out of CUSA.  For one thing, football isn't the be all end all of conferense shakeups, otherwise why would a school like Marquette get a Big East invite? 

The fact that we weren't particularly competitive in any sport other than football in the SBC hurt us.  As did SMU being in the DFW market.  As did no baseball team.  There are numerous factors that caused us to get squeezed.

I do doubt we'll replace Fouts anytime soon though - I'll agree with you there.

Conference USA! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

I agree.  If UNT had a stadium fund with a plan, clearly defined.  I'm sure we could get donations.  I would contribute.

someone posted we are waiting until spring to start any stadium campaign after DD will either be replaced or had a good year before we ask for donors. but we were to have a new baseball stadium deal too then it vanished so who knows the truth. we do have a nice location for a new stadium, why don't they use it.

Anyone think what we have presently happening with Mean Green football is going to really inspire potential Big Donors out there?

There was a hope among some that 4 bowl game appearances would help UNT fundraisers cull out a Big Donor or Big Corporation to help UNT get jump-started with its new stadium. Well? sad.gif

Hellsbellls, Texas Tech got SBC Communications to give them $20 million cash just to help refurbish Jones Stadium. Of course, the "then" Texas Tech president (a Texan BTW rolleyes.gif) knew just the right ones to know down in San Antonio where SBC Comm. was headquartered. We seem to never have those from UNT who know the right people to know when it comes to similar things happening with us such as what happened at Texas Tech. Oh well.............. wink.gif

And maybe just another reason the need for the high profile name coach in UNT's future? A football coach who can swagger right into a Fortune 500 company's headquarters here in the Metroplex without much need for an introduction because (most likely) the C.E.O. of that company would have already had research done by UNT that would indicate that said C.E.O. was (in fact) a college football enthusiasts. For certain these are merely projected scenarios, but even just a scenario seems more than what we have on the table working for us now.

Funny how UNT had some rather big bucks to throw at Gene Stallings as a very short-term consultant to say things most who have been around for awhile already knew about our program, but some have wondered why a similar consultant fee could not have been offered to Hayden Fry with the prime purpose of his culling out some Big Donors here in the DFW Metroplex. Coach Fry is approaching his 80's so UNT has probably fiddle-farted away yet another golden opportunity to have used this man's talent$.

BUT...............anyone else think Fry's 17 years in the DFW Metroplex as a D-1 head football coach, ie, 11 years at SMU and 6 at UNT might have been a rather Big Hint that this man probably knew more (by first name) than a baker'$ dozen$ worth of Texa$ tycoon type$? Probably dramatically more than all our new non-Texan administrative hires and, of course, all our non-Texan multi-year athletic staff types who still probably need a Mapsco to find their way out of Denton and into Dallas/Fort Worth. dry.gif

Nevertheless, anyone who has ever seen Hayden Fry work a room would quickly begin to recognize that this most charismatic man could have probably raised more than just the minimum amount of monies needed to jump-start a new stadium but.................we just do things a bit different at UNT as of late, now don't we? ph34r.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Gotta have Patience. Realize the ramifications if we make an announcement concerning donors before everything is in order?

There is a plan in place. There has been a feasability study approved by the BOR. There is a design that we have all seen that is being shown to potential donors and the university has already invested a good amount of money towards the project just to get that far. RV is doing his best to right a 55 year old wrong in only his 5th 1/2 year. He could certainly use some help from other members of his sales team to concentrate on the good at North Texas rather than the bad when pitching our program to others, but I have confidence that he's putting in the time we all demand of him to get it done.

Rick

actually i was talking to a coworker of mine (who's a good friend of rick's) just this week about the supposed new stadium and she said that he said that a company had recently made a pretty big contribution. she couldnt remember the exact amount but said that it was at least a million. i know you may have a hard time believing me but im just repeating what she told me.

Im just pretty pissed off that anytime I bring someone to tailgate with me that they wont even enter the stadium, Im sick of it, I buy food, drinks, provide my truck with a great tailgating atmospheere and they wont even enter the stadium with me to go inside and watch the game....my friends reasons (all current and alumni of NT), we hate fouts field...

Playmaker you told us years ago we were getting a new stadium, playmaker you showed us the video almost two years ago, its all fake, I defended RV for along time, be patient, but alot of people are asking questions about this stadium thing, but nothing is developing

I MEAN NOTHING AT ALL IS DEVELOPING......UNT IS BUILDING EVERYTHING, except this freakin damn stadium, come on now...

I totally agree that their were other factors for Cusa decision, inept bball team, NO BASEBALL TEAM IS HUGE, and no mens soccer..

BUT HEY GUYS WE HAD A winning record for years, titles, awards, great attendance compared to other cusa members, guy you know where we play at....Athletics didnt not even have a plan to show CUSA for a new stadium...NO funds...NO donors....NO sketches.....NOTHING......

im thinking long-term, and if you think about it, that isnt what other people have been doing here at NT...our AD has put more effort in looking at other job openings then fullfill everyone #1 on our wish-list when he got here

45,000-50,000 seat modern state of the art stadium......

By the way, im not a RV or DD hater....we need answers quick, before nobody wants to donate money to this project.

Did you read RVs last post on the board? I think not... You need to go back and read it. He may not have been forthcoming, but from what he said we can expect a big announcement on the stadium come the Spring. If we don't get one I will stand corrected, but RV has been very truthful in everything he has promised. He is the best AD this school has had and has been a blessing to our athletic programs. If you don't believe me look as where our programs were in 2000 vs. where they are now.

I have read the RV post and I think he didnt say anything about major issues. He step aside those issues. Spring 2007 is when we will hear what, that they found a donor. but wait arent we supposed to finish the stadium for our first game in Aug 2009. thats what a year and half to build the stadium, and there isnt even an announcement as to when ground will break.

you are absoutely correct, he is the best AD this program has had, but there hasnt been truthfulness or full disclosures on the stadium issue....

Remember all of the updates we would get on the whole stadium, baseball issue..where is that now...I mean alot of people are curious and alot of people are still left out in the dark

if you are going to raise funds for something, you dont piss people and leave out of the loop, especially this long. I just dont think things are going to pan out...

What if Dickey is fired? It will be a long process to find a new coach, and other coaches as well....Stadium will be on the back burner again...

RV said we would hear updates, we havent heard anything as far as donors, funds, completion date, ground breaking, alumni-MGClub feedback...NOTHING

Figure it out for yourself, I pray that I am wrong, but I have waited a long time to post this topic giving him the benefit of a doubt, now I think it is appropriate for us to demand answers and ask anyone what the progress is on this situation.

Ill tell you this much he isnt gaining anything by holding back any info, and to really think about it, he's been holding back for a looooong time. something's up

I happen to be of the opinion also that Fouts had little to do with the decision on CUSA.

Until an alum (Don Henley, are you listening? You were an Eagle, for pete's sake cool.gif ) comes up with a T. Boone Pickens-sized donation, or as PMG mentioned--a United Supermarkets/SBC-sized donation to fully fund what everyone wants, you're not going to hear of any announcements.

The one "good" thing about the TXDOT redirection of I35, is that UNT WILL get a a new stadium, or they'll have to play somewhere else, because Fouts will probably be razed.

It's going to happen. It's just a matter of getting the majority of the funds in hand.

Something is going on...how much we already have I don't know. I do know that I got a call from the advancement office asking me to have lunch with some of the fundraisers up there to discuss the funds needed for a new stadium. Of course I laughed and told them they must have added too many zeros to the report showing my contribution but once a plan got rolling I'd be glad to donate. I'm sure others on this board have received the same call.

Something is going on...how much we already have I don't know.  I do know that I got a call from the advancement office asking me to have lunch with some of the fundraisers up there to discuss the funds needed for a new stadium.  Of course I laughed and told them they must have added too many zeros to the report showing my contribution but once a plan got rolling I'd be glad to donate.  I'm sure others on this board have received the same call.

I have been asked to sign a pledge form for the amount I verbally agreed to donate.

I have been asked to sign a pledge form for the amount I verbally agreed to donate.

Serious question. What would a "reasonable" amount be to pledge for the average Joe Mean Green Fan? And over how many years to pay it off? I'm sure there will many different donation amounts that will eventually presented. Would a $5,000 or $10,000 donation pledge over a 5-7-10 year payoff be reasonable? By average, I mean the 30+ year old working graduate.

Edited by DeepGreen

Serious question.  What would a "reasonable" amount be to pledge for the average Joe Mean Green Fan?  And over how many years to pay it off?  I'm sure there will many different donation amounts that will eventually presented.  Would a $5,000 or $10,000 donation pledge over a 5-7-10 year payoff be reasonable?  By average, I mean the 30+ year old working graduate.

I'll tell you what. I've said this before and I'll say it again. I don't have a problem with $5,000 over a 5 year period IF - and this is a BIG IF....

If I have a contract signed by the board of regents or the university president that guarantees that this money will be used SOELY for the purpose of the FOOTBALL STADIUM. And I don't think I'm alone in that opinion. I don't want see my monies diverted for a baseball team (not that I don't want one) or the basketball salaries (not that isn't necessary either). I also want a signed certificate from RV and my name on a brick laugh.gif .

Is that too much to ask? There it is. There is the plan laid out. I'd be willing to bet money that a large portion of people would sign up with those stipulations.

Thoughts??

Edited by Stan R

I'll tell you what.  I've said this before and I'll say it again.  I don't have a problem with $5,000 over a 5 year period IF - and this is a BIG IF....

If I have a contract signed by the board of regents or the university president that guarantees that this money will be used SOELY for the purpose of the FOOTBALL STADIUM.  And I don't think I'm alone in that opinion.  I don't want see my monies diverted for a baseball team (not that I don't want one) or the basketball salaries (not that isn't necessary either).  I also want a signed certificate from RV and my name on a brick  laugh.gif

Is that too much to ask?  There it is.  There is the plan laid out.  I'd be willing to bet money that a large portion of people would sign up with those stipulations.

Thoughts??

Absolutely!! For me, I'd like to add a stipulation that the stadium construction needs to on "this date", and be completed no later than a specified date/year. Some of us would like to see this stadium before we start pushing daisies!

And no 20,000 capacity stadium! This could be our only shot, so let's be bold and forwarding thinking. 35,000 to 40,000 minimum!

Serious question.  What would a "reasonable" amount be to pledge for the average Joe Mean Green Fan?  And over how many years to pay it off?  I'm sure there will many different donation amounts that will eventually presented.  Would a $5,000 or $10,000 donation pledge over a 5-7-10 year payoff be reasonable?  By average, I mean the 30+ year old working graduate.

What is reasonable depends on your personal finances. What the program needs from each donor depends on how many donors there are. If the stadium needs $30m then we will need 3,000 donors pledging $10,000 each or 30,000 pledging $1,000 each. I heard a big donor is considered someone who donates $10,000 per year. Donating $10k over 5-7-10 years will require a lot more money since we would have interest payments if the money is spent prior to it being raised. Also, you would have to assume a certain percentage of the donors won't fullfil their donation obligation.

I wanted to add that the university has also hired the services of these guys, http://www.lawsonassociates.net/ to help strictly fundraise for a new football stadium. Dr. Lawson is one of the premier fundraisers in the nation. In my oppinion for NT to go to the lengths to bring these people on board speaks volumes about the university's commitment in this.

Rick

I'll tell you what.  I've said this before and I'll say it again.  I don't have a problem with $5,000 over a 5 year period IF - and this is a BIG IF....

If I have a contract signed by the board of regents or the university president that guarantees that this money will be used SOELY for the purpose of the FOOTBALL STADIUM.  And I don't think I'm alone in that opinion.  I don't want see my monies diverted for a baseball team (not that I don't want one) or the basketball salaries (not that isn't necessary either).  I also want a signed certificate from RV and my name on a brick  laugh.gif

Is that too much to ask?  There it is.  There is the plan laid out.  I'd be willing to bet money that a large portion of people would sign up with those stipulations.

Thoughts??

When you donate the money, you designate how you want it spent, and write on your check "Capital Campaign Fund, Football stadium". You don't necessarily give them the money right then. They then take the pledges and go borrow money against the pledges, and your money has to pay off that loan. Then you make payments however you set it up in your pledge.

Guys, they are serious about building this stadium.

The one "good" thing about the TXDOT redirection of I35, is that UNT WILL get a a new stadium, or they'll have to play somewhere else, because Fouts will probably be razed.

It's going to happen.  It's just a matter of getting the majority of the funds in hand.

Has TXDOT began its acquisition process yet? Perhaps the 'powers to be' are awaiting the funds generated by the I35 acquisition???? Just a thought.

I happen to be of the opinion also that Fouts had little to do with the decision on CUSA.

Until an alum (Don Henley, are you listening?  You were an Eagle, for pete's sake  cool.gif ) comes up with a T. Boone Pickens-sized donation, or as PMG mentioned--a United Supermarkets/SBC-sized donation to fully fund what everyone wants, you're not going to hear of any announcements. 

It's going to happen.  It's just a matter of getting the majority of the funds in hand.

It's amazing the money many alumni make after attending a university and how little the 'big shots' give back. Ex-players can be the worst.