We Win, We Win

UNTLifer

Ok I followed the game online and some in the chat room. Call me a bandwagoner but, I could give a rats a$$. I support the players and I am embarassed for them because the coaches make them look like crap. The win was great for the players b/c they had to overcome the coaching flaws of their HC and OC. I give the credit to the players and the players only. The DD/RF show needs to come to an end. I hope RV is paying attention.

7 OTs and all we scored was 25 pts is horrendous. Look at the other 2 7OT games and the total number of points by both teams was less than the losing teams in the other games.

Great win but it proved nothing other than our players wanted to win despite the coaches.

Hopefully this week off will open up some eyes. If we win anymore games this year it will be b/c the players beat two teams (their opponents and their coaches).

As for attendance I hope for a large number but a blow-out to the hands of a weak La. Tech team will squash the last game.

Oh yeah Akron and MTSU look awesome now.

SEE, this exactly what I was afraid of when we won.  We win one game, and so many of you think we actually have a chance to win the Belt now.  How sad.

That is sad.

It's sad that you have become so vendictive toward Dickey that you will not show one shread of hope towards "YOUR" team winning the Belt.

It's sad that you don't remember the team going 0-4, 0-5, and running the table.

It's sad that you give up so easily, and it's utterly pathetic that after so long of supporting your team, you are so quick to crush the hopes of other fans, players and coaches.

I can't say that I know you, and for that I apologize, but to be a fan doesn't mean to cheer for a loss against any team.

A loss sets our program a hell of a lot further back than Dickey and the team getting a second wind.

SEE, this exactly what I was afraid of when we won.  We win one game, and so many of you think we actually have a chance to win the Belt now.  How sad.

The sad, pathetic positive thinkers are always getting in the way of this forum. We need to have a better screening process to weed them out. That way we can revel in our misery uninterrupted. huh.gif

I've made this point before, but it gets forgotten amazingly quick because I guess some people just live for the negativity.

There is a big difference between ULTIMATE apirations, SHORT TERM goals and SEASONAL expectations.

My ultimate aspiration, as with every single fan that NT has had or will ever had, is that we are competetive at a national level with any team on any Saturday. I apire to having a packed 75,000 seat stadium for every nationally televised home game, for players leave early for the draft and not dropping off in talent, for College Gameday to routinely stop here, and for the name North Texas be so big and so cool that we have a nationwide bandwagon following. I want the program to be so big that the winnings from a BCS bowl can finance on-campus renovations, and upgrade our university as a whole. That is the pinnacle of where we can go as a program, and the absolute end game of NT football.

Then there are short term goals. The things we have to do to get to that next step in our progression. This means winning some out of conference games, staying on top in the Sun Belt, and continuing to improve the gameday experience. All of this, of course, in the effort to get in a more recognizable conference that would provide us a chance to draw in better recruits and bigger wins. Most people are on board with these goals, too, and acknowledge them as the next logical step in the progression. However, they are accomplished over the course of several years, and must be measured in 4-5 year increments.

Then there are seasonal expectations. These probably vary the most, and you have people anywhere from a guaranteed 11-1 to a guaranteed 0-12. I personally had a gut feeling that North Texas was a .500 team this year, and it is still possible to have that kind of season, especially if the offense can get ANYTHING going.

I think where the disconnect comes in is when people start mixing the three. When people accuse others of being "satisfied" with a 6-6 season as an ultimate aspiration or even a short term goal. Or when people accuse others of disregarding the total progress of the ultimate aspiration when what they are really frustrated with is the seasonal expectation.

Over the course of a 12 game season, you pretty much end up at however good a team you are. There's not very many people saying that a 13-0 Texas team last year should have been 6-5. And there's not very many people saying that a 2-9 UNT team should have been 9-2. A team is about as good as the record at the end of the season dictates, plus or minus a game or two. Last year, we were just bad. This year, so far, we just look like a bad team.

illuvious, I know you think I've become a negative poster, but let me respond to your thoughts.

I also share your ultimate aspirations. To get their we must achieve our short term goals.

Your definition of short term goals is progress over a 4-5 year period, winning some OOC games and staying on top of the SBC. Well, in the last 4-5 years we have started losing SBC games, beat SMU, but pretty much tanked in the OOC games and the performance of the team has gone steadily downhill.

Seasonal expectations? I didn't expect us to go 2-9 with Cobbs and Thomas returning last year, and I expected us to be better this year than 05'. Neither of these expectations is being met, and that is why I am not happy with the direction of the football program at this time.

Yes, I am happy for the players that they got the win, yes, I am happy that they showed heart and determination, but I am not happy when we are given the ball at the 25 yard line 7 times we were not able to score 1 TD and ended up 3 of 7 on field goals.