Texas getting BCS notice via NT

UNT_playmaker

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Texas went for it 3 times on a 4th down......Texas did do trick plays, A fake punt while being ahead by 21 points and at your own field position is a trick play....

Stop defending Mack Brown, it wasnt long ago when we you all wanted him fired and run out of town... The reason you guys won your national title is because you had and still do have elite players.... He is still a mediocre coach....

Vince Young won the title for Texas, I watched most of the Texas games last season. Texas is my #2 favorite team after the Mean Green, I have rooted for them for years and years.... I think your coach had an agenda to be #2 in the nation before the Ohio State game.... I also beleive he is greatly disappointed that we scored, he intended this game to be a shut out and a 70+ blowout to prove TEXAS is still a force to be reckoned with....

In my opinon The BCS crap doesnt apply the first week when you are the defending national title holder, #3 in the nation, and have a full schedule of BCS team to prove that too..HE WASNT FORCED TO DO THAT WITH NORTH TEXAS......

Mack Brown isnt a good coach to begin with, he chose Chris Simms in place of Major Applewhite, while Applewhite won the big games and Simms floundered in every big game he was in.....

The truth is that you will continue to state arguments that make little to no sense.  You talked about TX kicking a FG at the end of the first half in '04, but the key term there is FIRST HALF.  What should they do?  Down it?  That's a joke!  You will find that just about everyone agrees that a team can score as much as they want in the 1st half and still have class.

You're right about one thing though, going for it on fourth doesn't run clock if you don't convert, but it does if you DO convert.  That's what DalHornFan was saying.  But not converting, despite the clock stopping, does give the ball to the other team. So, as usual, you failed to make an honest attempt at understanding someone else's point.

I don't hate UT. I hate when BCS teams run up the score and do things like try to convert on two 4th downs in the second half of a blowout game.

Saturday's game is not comparable to the Baylor game. UNT threw 15 passes to 47 rushes against Baylor and our starting RB only had 10 carries. Oh yeah, no 4th down attempts either. You see, we weren't trying to impress pollers, so we didn't attempt to run up the score.

You are defending Texas running the hurry up with 41 seconds left in the half when they were up 41-0? Are you serious? No, they shouldn't down it, but they shouldn't run the hurry up offense, pass 6 times and take 2 timeouts in order to kick a field goal with time expiring in a blowout.

This is what you are defending and are saying is classy.

Texas at 0:41

1st and 10 at TEX 31 Vince Young (TEX) pass incomplete across the middle.

2nd and 10 at TEX 31 Vince Young (TEX) pass left side complete to Brian Carter (TEX) for 16 yards.   

1st and 10 at TEX 47 Vince Young (TEX) pass left side complete to Cedric Benson (TEX) for 2 yards.   

2nd and 8 at TEX 49 Longhorns timeout; 00:20 remaining 2nd quarter   

2nd and 8 at TEX 49 Vince Young (TEX) pass left side complete to Bo Scaife (TEX) for 11 yards.   

1st and 10 at UNT 40 Vince Young (TEX) pass right side complete to Tony Jeffery (TEX) for 5 yards.   

2nd and 5 at UNT 35 Vince Young (TEX) pass left side complete to Tony Jeffery (TEX) for 4 yards.   

3rd and 1 at UNT 31 Longhorns timeout; 00:02 remaining 2nd quarter   

3rd and 1 at UNT 31 48 yard field goal by Dusty Mangum (TEX) is good.

As for the last part, it is interesting that you say that my arguments make no sense and that I make no attempt to understand the arguments of others. So, as usual, you call me out on something when it is you who doesn't know what you are talking about.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/foo...-08-clock_x.htm

The other change means the clock starts on a change of possession when the ball is marked ready for play, not when it is snapped.

Well, as i expected, this topic isn't going anywhere and I must admit I am just as guilty as anyone else for making it that way. Im gonna try and just put all my points in a short (hopefully) list and u can flame me for it if u like:

- As the game went on fewer starters were on the field (3rd string QB, 3rd string RB, and backup OL)

- It was only 28-7 when TX ran their "trick" play on 4th down, and if UT had punted and allowed another TD, its 28-14! I do see how NT fans could see that as classless (maybe u guys already thought the game was over), but do u think a TX fan would put up with mack brown NOT trying to put it away for good. The man has a job to do and part of that job is to please fans, boosters, and AD admins.

- about the '04 game, i said earlier that i dont see anything wrong with scoring a lot in the first half (trust me, ive been on the bad end of one-half blowouts lol), so i guess this is just the root of where our opinions differ. i think it is the job of the overmatched team to try and keep it respectable for at least one half. the box score was 24, 20, 14, 7 for TX in 2004; which, to me, is evidence of a decreased desire by TX to put pts on the board as the game went on. i consider that calling off the dogs wink.gif

My last statement is that I'm not a UT alum. I would've loved to attend school in Austin, but it was too expensive for me. I'm a texas fan from heredity. my father, not a college grad, has been a tx fan since 1959; he has been able to see them win all 4 of their nat'l titles, and almost got a chance to meet Darrell Royal in 1970. I started cheering for TX in the 5th grade when watching the games w/ my family on saturdays.

I am a fan of the school i do attend, but i must say i'm an orange-blood first lol. heck i've even had a friend play for OU and a family member play for A&M. I hope they do well, but i still want 'em to lose when they play TX lol.

I am a fan of the school i do attend, but i must say i'm an orange-blood first lol. heck i've even had a friend play for OU and a family member play for A&M. I hope they do well, but i still want 'em to lose when they play TX lol.

I was listening all the up until right there. Now all I'm gonna hear is "leming, leming, leming, leming"

The other change means the clock starts on a change of possession when the ball is marked ready for play, not when it is snapped.

ok. change of possession is just like getting a first down now. i admit i knew about kickoffs but not that. so the clock would have worked the same whether TX converted on their 4th down attempts or not.

and i didn't say u didn't know what u were talking about (ie: rules) i meant that u weren't trying to understand the other guys' point.

o well, the game is over so I'll try to be done w/ this topic smile.gif

edit later in the day: so much for that idea lol

Edited by JuEv0splash

I was listening all the up until right there.  Now all I'm gonna hear is "leming, leming, leming, leming"

I'm done with him too...............its easy to just pick a school and then beat your chest that "your" team is superior. It didn't take any clairvoyance to see the answer coming.

I'm done with him too...............its easy to just pick a school and then beat your chest that "your" team is superior.  It didn't take any clairvoyance to see the answer coming.

Did he ever say what school he graduated from? I was kind of confused blink.gif

oic...im not allowed to be a texas fan because i didnt go to that school. i wish i had the money to go to the school i wanted but it doesn't always work out that way for everyone.

its cool u feel that way, and i know i can't say NEthing to change ur mind. but i don't think i should have to change who i root for after i graduate high school in case i dont get to go to my favorite college

and its not like i just "picked" any old team. i live in Texas and i'm proud of this state and its football tradition (especially high school). it would be different if i was a fan of a school that i have no geographical connection w/. i cheer for all colleges in this state and i hope they succeed, i just like UT the best (for reasons i already elaborated on). so i would love to see the day where UT, TX tech, TX A&M, and baylor could top the Big XII south and have the state of Texas rule the conference. The same is true for schools like houston, rice, TCU, SMU, UNT, etc. i want them all to do well in their conferences and have good seasons.

You don't think I rooted for UT growing up? Of course I did, I was young and of course didn't have a college that I went to.

Then I grew up. I went to North Texas...........money was an issue as well. North Texas took me in and will play a large part in helping me bring in more money than my parents brought in together (which is simply lower middle class). I love North Texas because they first loved me.

You show UT love.........but what have they given you back?

You don't think I rooted for UT growing up?  Of course I did, I was young and of course didn't have a college that I went to. 

Then I grew up.  I went to North Texas...........money was an issue as well.  North Texas took me in and will play a large part in helping me bring in more money than my parents brought in together (which is simply lower middle class).  I love North Texas because they first loved me.

You show UT love.........but what have they given you back?

"Okay Dr Phil!" haha i couldn't help noticing the Fever Pitch reference (gotta love Jimmy Falon) biggrin.gif

BTW i would never pass up a trip to Europe w/ my girlfriend to watch the TX - OU game LOL!!! laugh.gif

NEways, i see ur point, but It's not that my school gave me a chance or that UT abandoned me. I chose my school based on its proximity so i could live at home and not have to live in a dorm or apartment ($$$). Austin would've be too far of a drive. UT won't lose my support simply b/c it was too far from home. Really it was just living expenses that kept me from going there, tuition at my school isn't much better sad.gif

so i guess the real culprits are my folks, dadgummit they shoulda moved to Austin!

Just an FYI for JuEv0splash

UT started pulling out a few of their starters with about 6 min. left in the 4th. He then had a majority out of the game at just under the 4 min. left. With some still in the game until the end. I assume he wanted his starters to have as much time as possible on the field since Ohio State is their next game.

We all meet people like this everyday.

I don't mind if someone is a fan of a school they have nothing to do with until they start talking down on me for standing by NT.

My favorite is when they have ditched their school for UT, and when someone calls them on it, the stammering laundry list of reasons why they couldn't go there come out.

Even these shameless bootlickers deep down feel a little jealous of those with the pride and guts to stick by their own school.

We all meet people like this everyday.

I don't mind if someone is a fan of a school they have nothing to do with until they start talking down on me for standing by NT.

My favorite is when they have ditched their school for UT, and when someone calls them on it, the stammering laundry list of reasons why they couldn't go there come out.

Even these shameless bootlickers deep down feel a little jealous of those with the pride and guts to stick by their own school.

i dont think i have come down on you, zeke, emmitt, or e-bone for being good NT fans. the original topic of discussion was whether UT ran it up to impress pollers. I personally don't think they did, and it really is ok for someone to disagree w/ u about that or anything else for that matter. i just like how i become a shameless bootlicker who's green (no pun intended) w/ envy b/c i have the gall to disagree w/ someone blink.gif

No, you are a shameless bootlicker for taking the easy way and ditching your own school.

What is in it for you? Fans from other schools you "disagree" with won't respect you very much as a fan, and if you think actual UT alums do, you are mistaken. It's not like they need you to sellout or give money to the program, and since you never went there, you will never be one of "them". You will always be in the middle, constantly defending yourself to both sides.

No, you are a shameless bootlicker for taking the easy way and ditching your own school.

What is in it for you?  Fans from other schools you "disagree" with won't respect you very much as a fan, and if you think actual UT alums do, you are mistaken.  It's not like they need you to sellout or give money to the program, and since you never went there, you will never be one of "them".  You will always be in the middle, constantly defending yourself to both sides.

if there is nothing in it for me, then how is this the easy way? i know that some UT alums don't respect fans who didn't attend their school (you find snobby ppl like this everywhere), but there are some UT alums which happen to be family friends and classmates of mine, who respect all UT fans no matter what school has their seal displayed on their tuition bill.

I wonder why u feel the need to fling personal attacks at me. You said earlier that u don't appreciate ppl talking down on you, but u seem to be the only one talking down on anyone.

and no, i have not ditched my school, you don't even know me wink.gif

Edited by JuEv0splash

i have not ditched my school, you don't even know me  wink.gif

That is because you are hiding behind an Anonymous board name. REgulars on this board KNOW each other and have revealed their identies on numerous occasions.

Brett Tulloss

Einstein, no wonder UT didn't take you.

I said I originally made a general statement. You quoted a later post (after you had defended yourself).

And I never said I wasn't hostile.

Now go get ready for "your" big game this week on a UT board or something.

Edited by Coach