My first complaint of the year

stebo

Wilson marches down the field 80 yards for a TD against UT... and what does Dickey do??????? Pulls him out and puts Phillips back in. Is this a new strategy that I am not aware of? Do we now just try to make it "fair" and make sure that everyone gets equal playing time? I am registering complaint #1 of the year.

BTW - I was all for Phillips getting that start, in fact - I was for anyone but Meager getting the start... but Wilson looked fantastic in there and we reward him by yanking him right out of the game.

Wilson marches down the field 80 yards for a TD against UT... and what does Dickey do??????? Pulls him out and puts Phillips back in. Is this a new strategy that I am not aware of? Do we now just try to make it "fair" and make sure that everyone gets equal playing time? I am registering complaint #1 of the year.

Any IV related retractions?

Nope, it couldn't have been anything too serious - he was right back in the next series. It is very normal to give a player fluids by IV. Dickey made a conscience decision to rotate them and that is why they chose to put the IV in him (if that is what happened)... if this game meant anything, there would be no IV getting stuck in his arm during the middle of the game - they would just have the kid drink some freaking Gatorade.

Good news though, I think we have found a QB in this game. Wilson looks spectacular.

I really didnt mind Wilson sitting the bench. He wouldnt have been able to turn the tide of the game and I would hate to see an injury and lose him for the season. ( Remember Cobbs' injury? )

I would love to see him start against SMU though.

Edited by SeanMG

I really didnt mind Wilson sitting the bench.  He wouldnt have been able to turn the tide of the game and I would hate to see an injury and lose him for the season.  ( Remember Cobbs' injury? )

Absolutely. Why get him injured before the SMU game. With Wilson possibly being injury prone...or at least ...subject to taking chances....you want to get your other QB some reps. Also, with Meager possibly still out next week, why take a chance on going into the SMU game with only one healty QB?

Yeah!  Like last year...oh wait, that's when everyone starting cussing for the heralded back-up.

I feel for DD sometimes, soooo much crap from yall people; but rarely, if ever, gets any respect or praise.

The quarterback we had last year was very unproductive, we needed Phillips in their to salvage the season...

At this point in the season, I say keep Woody in there, if does well he's our all season starter. Dont be bringin in Meager like in the second quarter...

make a logical decision from what you say today.... Wilson starting QB

I really didnt mind Wilson sitting the bench.  He wouldnt have been able to turn the tide of the game and I would hate to see an injury and lose him for the season.  ( Remember Cobbs' injury? )

Are you joking? We had one good offensive possession in the entire game and you didn't mind that the QB who led that offensive possession was benched for the next possession? Especially when it looked like we might be able to making a semi-respectable showing for ourselves at that point?

Are you joking? We had one good offensive possession in the entire game and you didn't mind that the QB who led that offensive possession was benched for the next possession? Especially when it looked like we might be able to making a semi-respectable showing for ourselves at that point?

Exactly. Playing it "safe" - sucks big time, more like playing "scared"

Edited by stebo

I very excited about Woody Wilson! Marching down the field for 80 yards against the best defense in the country didn't happen by mistake. Woody looked calm, collected, fast on his feet, a relatively strong thrower, and he adds another dimension to our game with his mobility. You never know what Woody is going to do! He may be fumble prone like many out-of-pocket QB's, but that can be worked on in practice. I know this may be a bit premature, but I am excited and hopeful for our season (assuming Wilson remains at QB. Please, no Meager or Phillips) with Wilson, Thomas, Quinn, etc. I only hope that DD makes his QB decision so that Woody (my pick) can take a majority of the practice snaps to work on timing issues with his receivers, etc. After all, 3 QB's = 2/3 less practice time with the starters! Lastly, as previously mentioned by someone in this post, it was real shame that DD benched Woody after that 80 yard drive. I recently posted my fears on this topic and they came true. Wilson should have remained in. We looked downright competitive with the personnel we had in at the start of the 2nd half. It appears DD doesn't value this as much as we do. DD said he was waiting on a QB to emerge....I'm afraid one QB did and he missed it. He was probably too hell bent on shuffling QBs to witness it.

Edited by chrisfisher

I have no clue why Phillips even played in this game at all other than in the 4th quarter. When you play one of the best and fastest defenses in the country and you're outmanned in the trenches, you need your best runner out there taking the snaps. When Wilson was in there, the LB's were frozen because they knew he was a threat to take it to the outside. When Phillips was in there, 7 or so defenders were free to attack the middle right off the snap because they know that he doesn't have the wheels to escape from anybody. Not only did this usually result in Phillips being overwhelmed on passing plays, but it also meant that the RB was generally a sitting duck. Nothing against Phillips because if he were wearing an orange jersey today he may have been the best

You raise some very valid points. BTW, I have nothing whatsoever against Phillips either. In fact, I originally rooted for him to take Meager's role. But then reports started coming in about Woody's athleticism, and I had gut feeling he'd be our man. Back to your observations. Phillips was without a doubt, a sitting duck. They'd ram us right up the middle when he was playing.. which also killed the run. The Phillips sack near our own end zone (in the 4th Q I think) highlights this predicament as Phillips literally stood there and watched himself get sacked. Woody looked very confident even under pressure.. he almost appeared to welcome the pressure because it gave him a chance to run. The coaches just need to polish his decision making so he doesn't fall into a "I'm getting the hell out of here" QB role at the first sight of pressure, before the play has a chance to develop. They also need to work on PROTECTING THE FOOTBALL when he does run. The fumble today worries me a bit. With that said, I am very excited about Woody. I think he may be the key to a bright 2006 season, at least in the Sun Belt. I am very proud of our boys, especially the defense - they played their hearts out today!

Woody can run when needed.... he can pass ACCURATELY on the run... he has much more confidence and is more calm under pressure. He definitely should be "The Man" this year. His hook-up with BJ in the endzone after that rollout to afford himself a passing lane was classic!! However he does need to learn to protect the rock!