Who wins we played today? UNT-SMU

UNT_playmaker

Who wins if we played today?-----Im edging more towards UNT now...

I think alot of it has to do with Dickey, he used to be OC over there and might be able to decipher a few things or have some tricks in store for the game. I hoping anything is in store to rally up our players about this huge game.....Hope Dickey can get something together like he did for the Baylor game.

But I like Dickey, he was always friendly towards me and hope he prospers. He doesnt live too far from me in Southridge...Last time we talked was during the GMG Football game this season. I was harrassing him and telling him that SMU was the game to concentrate all of his efforts on and he just laughed and said okay okay....I walked by him as he went into his SUV and told him once again, SMU, SMU, remember.....SMU... biggrin.gif

Edited by UNT_playmaker

You guy's are OBSESSED with lil' ole' SMU. What is the deal???

We are not really obsessed, it is just a measure of just how far we have dropped. The idea that SMU is not a Joke of a win for us anymore is sickening. What is worst we did it to ourselves because SMU should still be a Joke for us. That is why you see all the rumblings, many even believe if we lose to lonely SMU our head coach should be shown the door.

So don't get a big head it could have been Rice, Nicholls State or McNeese St being the last straw.

Edited by KingDL1

You guy's are OBSESSED with lil' ole' SMU. What is the deal???

---We play Uni. of Texas (National Champion) first.... We stand a whole lot better chance of winning game #2. Would you rather us to discuss the likelyhood of winning the first one?????

--- We should bet on which one of us allows the most points in week #1. Either one of us could win that one. If Tech gets their system "chugging" they could be good for 80, Ask Nebraska or even TCU.

Go Tech!! (wife is an Alum, I am a non-degree one as a former student and part-time instructor, also a West-Texan)

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

We are not really, it is just a measure of just how far we have dropped. The idea that SMU is not a Joke of a win for us anymore is sickening. What is worst we did it to ourselves because SMU should still be a Joke for us. That is why you see all the rumblings, many even believe if we lose to lonely SMU our head coach should be shown the door.

So don't get a big head it could have been Rice, Nicholls State or McNeese St being the last straw.

With all due respect KingDL1, SMUt has a slight edge over NT in our series with them. We have won, what, three games out of 25+? blink.gif So I don't think we are in any position to treat SMUt as a cakewalk.

---All those games prior to 1950 or even 1960 have little meaning to todays situation. I use 1960 because about that time TV became popular with TV games and transportation changed greatly with jet travel and interstate highways. You also note that college enrollment jumped rapidly about that time as well. Interest in football really jumped about that time and even the NFL expanded with the creation of the AFL and teams outside of the North-East (Cowboys, for one). Prior to the end of of WWII, even 1950, there were some really strange opponents just because they were closeby. prior to then the widespread fan appeal did not really exist much.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

With all due respect KingDL1, SMUt has a slight edge over NT in our series with them.  We have won, what, three games out of 25+? blink.gif  So I don't think we are in any position to treat SMUt as a cakewalk.

If this was two, three. or four seasons ago we would have killed them, if we had continued to build we would kill SMU this year. SMU is about as tough as a mini-marshmallow. There is no reason we should have slipped in the rankings to the bottom 19 club, but we did and now this mini-marshmallow team will probably beat us.

If this was two, three. or four seasons ago we would have killed them, if we had continued to build we would kill SMU this year. SMU is about as tough as a mini-marshmallow. There is no reason we should have slipped in the rankings to the bottom 19 club, but we did and now this mini-marshmallow team will probably beat us.

REVISED THURSDAY AM

Sad but true, KingDL1...

Losses to La Tech and Tulsa (our worst home loss in history) pretty well told some us that even after bowl games that most our recruiting efforts during the DD Era have been just enough to beat schools like Middle TN, ULaLa, Arkansas State and........oh wait a minute here, these are all schools in the Sun Belt Conference now aren't they? rolleyes.gif

So to you young gun alums some free advice: Don't spend too much of your valuable family or quality time thinking UNT leaders will advance this athletic program much further than we've seen the last 2 or so decades. Don't look for too much more grandiose advancement for MG football in your next 30 years of following all this because our alma mater (truly) has a history that suggests that it won't.

NOTE: Of course, if UNT's version of a T. Boone Pickens (who most of you say we don't have out there or at least you're not aware of it if we do; anyway, if such an athletic donor for UNT were to step forward with a huge announcement of a mega-milliion$ donation all this changes most dramatically and for the betterment for all concerned and I think most would agree that we are all concerned). smile.gif

We make a giant step forward then retreat 3 or 4 back has been our history at UNT. FWIW and IMHO, our best time to have made the big jump upward & forward would have been following the Mean Joe Greene and Hayden Fry eras. Well, that wasn't mean't to be because we changed style of administrative leadership at UNT following those eras. There was much lip-service support for UNT football following those eras to be more specific.

So check your football media guides if you need a refresher course to see just how we did follow those higher profile eras and even the Fry era since it was the most recent (as compared to the Joe Greene era) AND............... to see how UNT officials have spent money on athletics or, moreso, merely allowed UNT varsity athletics to have just enough budgetted monies to stay on life support. unsure.gif

At UNT, we have earned our present status (athletically) because this is the direction NT Exes & Mean Green fans have been given by our leaders who have all the power & decision-making options to hire those who would lead us. Looking at many of those hires of the last 30 plus years makes some of us grateful that we still have intercollegiate athletics at UNT's main campus. Again, I defer to your gettting out your media guides for further proof on that. (Lets not even bring up MG varsity basketball in any of this discussion). rolleyes.gif

UNT officials can ask for all the monies from those, ie, the gr-UNTs (or troops if you will) till the cows come home and they seem to have that donor's list down pat each year although this group of donors haven't built any new stadiums last time I checked. Wonder if UNT leaders have figured that out, too? So does that possibly mean that maybe there needs to be more "new" names on future UNT donor's list? You know, just like we need more "new" faces to fill those other 15,000 empty seats at Fouts Field most any year? sad.gif

Yet it still is our UNT leaders who hold all the cards. It is our UNT leaders who have the "A" list of potential donors, ie, the kind of donors once such a donor(s)write the Big Check can play an enormous part in helping to take Mean Green football out of this annual NCAA D1-A #90-#117 co-existance and to the Promise Land of upwardly bound football schools who finish in the Top 50 every year.

The other part of the equation is for UNT leaders to hire "proven" heavy-hitter collegiate fundraisers who fully understand the fact that they probably need to spend most of their time out of their offices and off campus (probably even outside the city limits of Denton, too) and such fundraisers who understand the art of smoozing the Big Donor types as to get them to turn loose some of their big bucks and who knows, maybe even get a "well located" major college football stadium named after themselves leaving such an honor as a legacy to their own family and to, uh, (more specifically) the University of North Texas, ie, the 4'th largest university in the sovereign state of Texas. wink.gif.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Guest GrayEagleOne

With Graves out and a fourth of the starters hobbled, I need to change my vote.

This is getting serious. Are these just freaky accidents or did too many not report in shape?

I know that Quinn keeps himself in shape and probably Graves but I'm not sure about any of the others. Maybe the players should be turned over to the Strength & Conditioning Coach a couple of weeks before fall workouts begin.

On offense, where we are hurting the worst, only about three linemen have not missed a practice. That means that if we played today about seven would not be at full speed. Defense would fare much better and maybe that's why they are so far ahead of the offense at this time.

This situation is a little like trying to beat someone with one hand tied behind your back. We can't beat SMU or even many SBC teams under those conditions.