Wilson for Pres.

H-towngreen

Just wanted to get everyones opinion on the QB situation. It seems as though we have a 3 way race for the spot. Hopefully DD is smart enough to figure out that a rotation will not work. We all have one who we want under center on opening day. What do yall think?

I'm personally pulling for Woddy. We all know that he is the best scrambler of the group. And yes we hear about him running in the middle of the field to much. I'm fine with that cause it means he isn't laying in the dirt 5 yds. behind the line of scrimmage. As far as his arm I really haven't heard anything to negative about it. It seems as though he is on par with the other 2 in terms of accuracy, but word is he throws a decent long ball, and has some good velocity on it.

I'm with you H-town...he's a young kid...he can handle the beating...plus, he'll learn eventually to slide or take it to the outside. I would love to see someone like him back there, takes some pressure off the o-line. I like what I see in Phillips as well. Everyone seemed to gel better when he was in. Some guys just have that moxy about them.

I'm with you H-town...he's a young kid...he can handle the beating...plus, he'll learn eventually to slide or take it to the outside.  I would love to see someone like him back there, takes some pressure off the o-line.  I like what I see in Phillips as well.  Everyone seemed to gel better when he was in.  Some guys just have that moxy about them.

Everyone loves to see a QB scramble (myself included). But keep in mind that when a QB is "free-lancing", there is a greater chance of the OL getting a penalty for holding or an illegal block.

Everyone loves to see a QB scramble (myself included). But keep in mind that when a QB is "free-lancing", there is a greater chance of the OL getting a penalty for holding or an illegal block.

Very true Silver. On the flipside "freelancing" means you're not holding on to the ball deep in your own pocket for two long turning a 1st and 10 into a 2nd and 17 or so.

the only QB who has played in a real game and looked like he belonged there is Phillips. Woody may be as good as advertised, but I know that Meager is not. I think Phillips should start untill someone else proves that they can play QB better.

True, not to mention the linemen pass block and completely lose track of him? Woody is a great athlete.. I saw that for myself. I have just never seen a QB run into the defense the way Woody does. If the average NT QB takes about 10 to 15 hits a game, Woody would take closer to 25. Maybe he is tough enough to bounce right back, but the shots he took at the last practice I watched made my splein hurt. I had to look away when he got the double-smack. I dont know that Woody would run this much in a real game; he does have Jamario to handoff to. A few times he escaped the rush (the guy has unreal speed..believe it), but would turn right back into the defense and take a beating like Geraldo Rivera interviewing a pro-wrestler. It's just brutal to watch. On the positive side, I also watched Woody run away from our secondary and score... so I guess it's "pick-your-poison" time at NT. Do we want a QB who will handoff to J-Mo, and stand pat to wait for Quinn and Company to get open?, or do we want a guy that only waits for a couple of seconds, then tries to make something happen with his quickness, but gets hit more, like a running back?

Tough call. I think there are risks for both QB types. I am not sure yet which is better for us, but the coaching staff will. I would hope one of our QB's steps up so we dont have the QB by Committee. Either way, I'll trust DD to do what is best for us.

GMG!!!

Very true Silver.  On the flipside "freelancing" means you're not holding on to the ball deep in your own pocket for two long turning a 1st and 10 into a 2nd and 17 or so.

Well, I watched the ultimate "freelancer" play.....Ken Washington. It wasn't uncommon for him to scramble all over the field and end up with a 5 or 10 yard gain. It also wasn't unusual for him to scramble and give up a lot of ground in the hopes of getting free for a long run.....and then lose 10+ yards because he was caught way behind the line of scrimmage. So instead of 2nd or 3rd and 10, we had 2nd or 3rd and 20.

Besides Scott Davis, one of the best QB's we ever had for gaining yards with both his arm and feet was Joe Stevenson. He didn't have the "home run" foot speed of Mr. Wilson, but he was just as quick and elusive. And his arm was almost as strong as Andrew Smith's....but more accurate.

I want a scrambling QB to tuck it and run in only certain situations.

1. Pass protection breaks down and there is a play to make. (note: sometimes that play to make may be -3 instead of -10)

2. A first down is EASILY obtainable by simply running.

3. Only other play to make is a risky throw.

Simply put - I would like Woody to make the easy play. If that is scampering for a quick 10 yards, or a deep ball to a single covered Quinn - that is what I would like to see.

I want a scrambling QB to tuck it and run in only certain situations. 

1.  Pass protection breaks down and there is a play to make. (note: sometimes that play to make may be -3 instead of -10)

2.  A first down is EASILY obtainable by simply running. 

3.  Only other play to make is a risky throw. 

Simply put - I would like Woody to make the easy play.  If that is scampering for a quick 10 yards, or a deep ball to a single covered Quinn - that is what I would like to see.

Or how about the even more simple "Throw it away to avoid the sack" play. Often times that is a smart play, right?

I want the guy who's going to use their head for something other than an ear hanger.

Rick

I would hope one of our QB's steps up so we dont have the QB by Committee.

Based on last year's commitment to the starter, I would suspect that the "QB by committee" scenario is not an option.

Either way, I'll trust DD to do what is best for us.

I will too...right up until that first bone-headed decision that I disagree with!! biggrin.gif

Or how about the even more simple "Throw it away to avoid the sack" play.  Often times that is a smart play, right? 

I want the guy who's going to use their head for something other than an ear hanger.

Rick

What makes you think a QB who can run can't use his head also?

Scott Hall was pretty mobile, he knew when to throw it away. Alot of people on this board considedered Andrew Smith to be a better runner than Hall, and he knew when to throw it away.

I agree with you 100%.  Meager will have the job to lose at least through the UT game.  If we get killed down in Austin then we will see Phillips.  I think that I might be rooting for a rout.  Phillips is the man I want out there.

Boy, that's a heckuva litmus test for Meager, hehe....

I'll cast my vote for Phillips too.

Boy, that's a heckuva litmus test for Meager, hehe....

I'll cast my vote for Phillips too.

Scary thing is Meager had 11 games last year to prove himself and look at the record, why not give Wilson or Phillips the chance. Give the team the best chance to win, not the coaches favorite. mad.gif

Woody should be our QB. He played HS at Fayetteville High School, in Arkansas.......great competition there.....was recuiting out of HS to play at Arkansas...did not make the grades....went to the CC ....DM didn't show me anything last year and JB doesn't have his academics together??? So, lets see what he can do! GO MEAN GREEN !

Let me preface my statement by saying that I have never seen Woody play.

If he can scramble, run it up the gut, get the ball to Quinn & Nwigwe, excite the crowd with his speed, run the option with Jamario, then put him on the field!

We will never be a pass first team, so why not have another threat in the backfield. I have a feeling, as mentioned above, that whoever the QB is against UT will be running for their life all day long.

I do like the sound of that.

I would love to see the option against teams with less speed. We could run option against SMU, La Tech, Tulsa, Akron, and most of the Belt... I wouldn't want to run option against UT - it would be a LONG day, they simply would stack the box and we would go 3 and out all day long.

I would love to see the option against teams with less speed.  We could run option against SMU, La Tech, Tulsa, Akron, and most of the Belt... I wouldn't want to run option against UT - it would be a LONG day, they simply would stack the box and we would go 3 and out all day long.

I agree with what you say, Stebo. Ideally, you go with your usual offense (whatever it is you feel you are good at and have practiced). But, when you are overmatched physically, then you have to branch out. Probably our best chance against UT would be to open with a passing attack and then ultimately hope to spring Thomas once you have loosened up the defense a little. Option, would work with many of the belt teams. Of course, if our OL is really in a groove and Thomas is hot, then we could just pound them down like we did a couple of years ago. I think that Dickey has called some good games and I think he has called some lousy games. I think his biggest failure was in the last New Orleans Bowl. What we were doing didn't work at all and we never really tried adapt to our opponents style and capability. I'm all for Thomas rushing 200 yards through an opponent if we can get away with it. But, if they are stacking the line and we are not getting it done, then we need to adapt. A little bit of flexibility might take this offense a long way.

Scary thing is Meager had 11 games last year to prove himself and look at the record, why not give Wilson or Phillips the chance. Give the team the best chance to win, not the coaches favorite.  mad.gif

I think that is unfair. Scott Hall had a very similar record his 1st year at the helm as well. Then our entire team gel'ed under that awesome defense and we took off. I am kind of indifferent on all the QBs, but right now I think that with an improved D (which we will see this year) we will be able to mask some of our offensive deficiencies....until our young QBs catch up---which is the same thing that happened from 2001-2004.

I am not really pulling for any one QB to emerge over the other. I'd just like to see some consistency out there.

I think that is unfair.  Scott Hall had a very similar record his 1st year at the helm as well.  Then our entire team gel'ed under that awesome defense and we took off.  I am kind of indifferent on all the QBs, but right now I think that with an improved D (which we will see this year) we will be able to mask some of our offensive deficiencies....until our young QBs catch up---which is the same thing that happened from 2001-2004.

I am not really pulling for any one QB to emerge over the other.  I'd just like to see some consistency out there.

I compare Scott hall to matt phillips... It wasn't Scott that they wanted to start his first year. but, like Phillips, he clearly moved the team better than the starter. The only difference is... eventually, they gave Scott Hall some starts toward the end of the year. They didn't with Phillips.

I compare Scott hall to matt phillips... It wasn't Scott that they wanted to start his first year.  but, like Phillips, he clearly moved the team better than the starter.  The only difference is... eventually, they gave Scott Hall some starts toward the end of the year. They didn't with Phillips.

No way. Scott Hall was a hotshot freshman QB playing behind Richard Bridges....who was not moving the team and hadn't really ever moved the team. EVERYONE wanted Hall to be QB.....he was clearly a 'football player' and a leader to boot.

No way. Scott Hall was a hotshot freshman QB playing behind Richard Bridges....who was not moving the team and hadn't really ever moved the team. EVERYONE wanted Hall to be QB.....he was clearly a 'football player' and a leader to boot.

Wasn't Spencer Stack around then? I remember rooting for Stack over Bridges, but I have tried real hard to repress a lot of those memories.