UNT Famous Alumni List

Harry

The "alumni" list has always dissapointed me.

First, we need to check the definition of alumni, which most would agree whould apply to those who actually received a degree from the university. Former students would be a more appropriate designation and we are stretching the truth by calling them alumni.

Only about four of the famous music "alumni" actually graduated. Also, other than the two singers from the Met, none of our classical musicians are listed and you will find UNT alumni holding positions in major symphony's and opera countries around the country.

Do we not have any famous alumni in the field of education? The former Dean of the Yale School of Music is from UNT. I am sure there are more like him.

First, we need to check the definition of alumni, which most would agree whould apply to those who actually received a degree from the university. Former students would be a more appropriate designation and we are stretching the truth by calling them alumni.

Only about four of the famous music "alumni" actually graduated. Also, other than the two singers from the Met, none of our classical musicians are listed and you will find UNT alumni holding positions in major symphony's and opera countries around the country.

Do we not have any famous alumni in the field of education? The  former Dean of the Yale School of Music is from UNT. I am sure there are more like him.

I agree that there are more out there we should have on the list and spending resources to do that would pay off.

I disagree about limiting the list of alumni to those who had graduated. Just because someone didn't graduate - especially some of these world famous musicians - is no reason to leave them off the list. In my opinion if you went to school somewhere you are an alum whether or not you graduated or not!

Regarding the on-line definition of alumni:

"A male graduate or former student of a school, college, or university."

I stand corrected...my Webster's (the old fashioned paper kind) does not include former student. Now, I have to question the inclusion of women in this list. biggrin.gif

How many know that the Provost of SMU is a two time UNT grad?

Guest GrayEagleOne

Do we not have any famous alumni in the field of education? The  former Dean of the Yale School of Music is from UNT. I am sure there are more like him.

Most vocalists do not graduate from a university due to time demands on their careers.

I knew two singers on the list. Pat Boone hit it so big with "Two Hearts" while he was a student here that he got his own TV show in New York, prompting his leaving. Roy Orbison had weekend gigs almost his entire North Texas attendance. That didn't leave much study time and I doubt that he would ever have been able to graduate at that rate. I don't know Norah Jones but she seems to fit the same pattern. Her immense popularity wouldn't allow her to continue as a normal student.

One name that should have been there was James Hampton. His best role was as the manager in the Longest Yard. He also starred in one movie (the not very successful 'Hawmps') and was a regular on F Troop. He later became a director. He had, at the least, the stature of Noble Willingham.

As to other fields, I'm sure that we've had plenty of dignitaries in the field of Education. When we played UT back in the 80s, the president of the University of Texas was a North Texas alum, Dr. Lorraine? Rogers. I've seen others listed at smaller universities.

Where do we draw the line? In Business, is it being the CEO of a $100 million company or twice that much? Who determines the criteria for a great botanist? How about collaborating inventors? We have several of those. What I might consider greatness, you would not. But most of the names on that list are familiar to a large portion of Americans.

Here is the Merriam-Webster definition ...

alumnus

One entry found for alumnus.

Main Entry: alum·nus

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural alum·ni /-"nI/

Etymology: Latin, foster son, pupil, from alere to nourish -- more at OLD

1 : a person who has attended or has graduated from a particular school, college, or university

2 : a person who is a former member, employee, contributor, or inmate

Here is the Merriam-Webster definition ...

alumnus

One entry found for alumnus.

Main Entry: alum·nus

Function: noun

Inflected Form(s): plural alum·ni  /-"nI/

Etymology: Latin, foster son, pupil, from alere to nourish -- more at OLD

1 : a person who has attended or has graduated from a particular school, college, or university

2 : a person who is a former member, employee, contributor, or inmate

So according to this definition, I could substitute alumni for former inmate.

BeanCounterGrad

UNT Former Inmate

Class of 2003

It would make for a good license plate frame cool.gif

How can they leave off the guy that played "Blue" in Old School?  You're my boy Blue!!!

I read in the alumni mag that he passed away, that's the only way I know he was an NT alum.

(Joseph) Patrick Cranshaw, certainly worthy of recognition as a character actor for half a century. Lived in Fort Worth 'til the day he died.

Hey Guys -- Here is a link to one of your alums: http://www.koat.com/koatnewsteam/267534/detail.html

Cynthia graduated from UNT and is an anchor for KOAT in ABQ. She is famous in ABQ . . . she is part of my favorite newscast team. I watch her every day.

Go Mean Green!!!!