The Ben E. Keith Hospitality Deck

NT91

Ah, the hospitality deck....a lovely adventure in donations. First, when there is any kind of crowd for a game, you wait in the September heat while the lady finds your name on a printout (hoping hope against hope that you were actually correctly added to the list), then you approach the suppulent folding chairs and seven tables. You go over to check out the cuisine that is furnished for this game and are excited to see greasy bbq with all the trimmings which you pay for by showing tickets you purchased at the front table when you came in ( which took you another 15 minutes to buy) and then you go over to purchase beer, wine or cokes. If you buy a coke at the concession stand at the stadium it is $1 less than what you are now paying for a coke inside the 'hospitality' deck. Of course, if you happened to buy a coke at the concession stand and wanted to just bring it into the hospitality deck you could not....they don't allow it. Then you stroll over onto the deck itself remembering from this post that had you been on the deck two years ago there was a real possibility that the deck would collapse due to rotten support beams. Anyway, have a lovely time at the deck and toss down a greasy rib and upcharged coke for me. Oh, and enjoy the air conditioning and deck umbrellas installed just for you to offset the ravages of hot and rainy weather.

I'm a long time Mean Green Club member and I've tried the "deck." It's a terrible view of the field and speaking only for myself, I want the team to see as full a stadium as possible when they come out onto the field.

Eat where ever you want to, but be in your seats when the team comes out.

Join the Mean Green Club

Buy Season Tickets

GO MEAN GREEN

The deck is not so bad. Like Zeke said, it is good for a quick meal before the game if you aren't into the tailgating scene outside the stadium. It is also the only place to grab a beer while watching the game, albeit at a bad angle.

The Mean Green Hospitality room is a much better deal (basketball only). You get two passes for each men's game at the $500 donation level.

GO MEAN GREEN

Is the Fred McCain Room still open under the stands ? I used to like to go there during halftime. It was open before the game, during halftime, and briefly after the game. It may have been available until the Ben E. Keith Deck opened.

Join the Mean Green Club

Buy Season Tickets

GO MEAN GREEN

I never made it to hte hopitality room last year, what comes with it?

Catered food ($5) I think such as chicken/steak and I think Taco Bueno one time. Drinks just like the BEK Deck. Ohh and Mandy Mckinley will bus your table for you.

Virgil and Gail Strange did a lot of work to get the deck acceptable. Do you want them to give you the beer? In case you didn't hear, the Mean Green Club is a fund raising arm for athletics. The basic formula at every University is the more money you donate, the more "perks" that you get.

However, you are not giving the money to get perks, you are giving the money to fund scholarships for student athletes. I personally don't care if I ever get any perks, that is not why I donate money.

Join the mean green club to support North Texas Athletics at whatever level you can afford, then if there are some perks, enjoy them instead of complaining about how much better is could be.

The deck is just fine and I like to go there about 45 minutes before kickoff. If I had to gripe about anything, it would be the congestion getting into the place. There were some games last season that I gave up trying to get in because of the people backed up and lack of movement. That needs to be fixed this year.

I've enjoyed the deck since its inception. Catch a meal before the game (I like the Fajitas best, have a beer, then enjoy the game. Sometimes I go back to the deck in the 3rd quarter to watch the game from a different view. Like the other gentlemen, it is a fund raising arm for NT athletics, so I have no problem paying for the drinks and food.

As a MGC member, I can go to the deck, but unless some of my football friends want me to go there for a beer, it just doesn't interest me. When it comes to game day, I guess my whole point of view is just too "blue collar". I prefer to hang out with the tailgaters and then hang out in the stands.

The idea of luxury boxes don't do much for me either. If I wanted to watch a football game in "air conditioned comfort", I'd stay at home and watch it on TV.

I guess that I've just spent my whole football watching life in the stands for too long.

Edited by SilverEagle

I don't see how you can complain about the deck. As some have said, the Mean Green Club is about raising money to advance athletics at NT, that's what it is geared to do. If there are a few perks, great. If you don't like the perks, don't use them.

I like the deck. You can drink beer if you choose, and it gives younger kids a little more room to move around in. I usually spend half of a game on the deck and half the game in the stands.

And for the record, I believe the coke you buy at the concession stand is fountain and the cokes you buy on the Deck are can, thus PART of the reason for the difference in price.

I don't see how you can complain about the deck.  As some have said, the Mean Green Club is about raising money to advance athletics at NT, that's what it is geared to do.  If there are a few perks, great.  If you don't like the perks, don't use them.

I like the deck.  You can drink beer if you choose, and it gives younger kids a little more room to move around in.  I usually spend half of a game on the deck and half the game in the stands.

And for the record, I believe the coke you buy at the concession stand is fountain and the cokes you buy on the Deck are can, thus PART of the reason for the difference in price.

I haven't seen a fountain coke in years. The cokes that you purchase at the concession stand are in plastic bottles......usually 20oz.

The IRS makes you deduct the fair market value of any perks you get at the level at which you join,  such as Victory Circle level gets stadium blanket this season. Cost of membership less FMV of perk= tax deductible

You can request to not receive them though if you don't want to lose a full deducation. Don't spend it all in one place...