Who is your favorite sportscaster ?

calvin

It seems like they are becoming extinct but there are still some good ones out there. I really like Al Michaels, Dickie V, Jim Nantz, and the Miller guy that does the baseball games with Joe Morgan. But to me there is still nothing like hearing Keith Jackson call a Saturday afternoon college football game, maybe not like he used to be but he is still great. Also if you are a boxing fan Jim Lampley is great, there is nothing better than hearing him call a great fight.

for those hockey fans out there its gotta be the Razor. He is responsible for some of the greatest lines in hockey sportscasting history, including, but not limited to:

"they had him on his toes like a midget at at urinal!" about Ed Belfour after he had just faced a barrage of shots during a power play in a regular season game a few years back.

"Its the 6th minute of the 6th period of the 6th game of the stanley cup playoffs and satan is on their team" about patrick satan (prnounced suh-taan) of the buffalo team in the stanley cup playoffs a few years ago.

there are plenty more, but for pure listening enjoyment no one beats the razor.

Edited by bigrobdsp

There are a lot of great broadcasters going today, but that Bill Raftery is the biggest beating ever. He calls EVERY single play like it was the greatest play ever. I can understand invoking a little passion in your voice when someone gets dunked on or if a guy hits a really tough shot, but not every damn play.

I don't want a boring commentator that doesn't get into the game, but with him it seems so forced. Does anyone else notice this? I find myself flipping away from his games because he annoys the heck out of me.

There are a lot of great broadcasters going today, but that Bill Raftery is the biggest beating ever.  He calls EVERY single play like it was the greatest play ever.  I can understand invoking a little passion in your voice when someone gets dunked on or if a guy hits a really tough shot, but not every damn play. 

I don't want a boring commentator that doesn't get into the game, but with him it seems so forced.  Does anyone else notice this?  I find myself flipping away from his games because he annoys the heck out of me.

Then you'll appreciate this:

http://sportspickle.com/archives/volume4/2005-0316.html

Check out the right margin - you'll find it.

"SEND IT IN!"

There are a lot of great broadcasters going today, but that Bill Raftery is the biggest beating ever.  He calls EVERY single play like it was the greatest play ever.  I can understand invoking a little passion in your voice when someone gets dunked on or if a guy hits a really tough shot, but not every damn play. 

I don't want a boring commentator that doesn't get into the game, but with him it seems so forced.  Does anyone else notice this?  I find myself flipping away from his games because he annoys the heck out of me.

Dad?...is that you?? blink.gif

My Dad HATES that guy....along with Brent Musburger--who is even worse--if that's possible.

Somewhat related...I sat next to Jill Arrington on a flight from Raleigh-Durham to DFW, where she was flying to Dallas to cover a football game. She was not only a VERY attractive lady cool.gif ...but was extremely nice as well. For the first hour of the flight, I actually did not put two-and-two together regarding who she was until she said that she was a TV sports analyst.

One of the best moments in my life...next to marrying my wife, OF COURSE!!! rolleyes.gif

College FB: Keith Jackson

College BB: Vern Lundquist

Pro FB: Summerall and Madden

Pro Baseball: Miller and Morgan, the old days Gargiola and Kubek

Hockey: Razor

TX Rangers: Holtz and Nadel

Cowboys: Shamm and Hansen

Madden? are you kidding me? that guy is horrible. Sample Madden quote:

“Hey, the offensive linemen are the biggest guys on the field, they’re bigger than everybody else, and that’s what makes them the biggest guys on the field.”

Ugh, the stupidity that abounds from his mouth is mind boggling... MNF is like a Brittney Spears video, I have to mute it to be able to enjoy it...

I'm going to have to go with Lewin/Grieve as my favorite living sportscasters. They just make such an odd pair it makes baseball fun to watch on TV. For pro football I like the job Troy Aikman is doing and thats not just the hometown talking.

Edited by MeanGreenBuzz

Madden? are you kidding me? that guy is horrible. Sample Madden quote:

“Hey, the offensive linemen are the biggest guys on the field, they’re bigger than everybody else, and that’s what makes them the biggest guys on the field.”

Ugh, the stupidity that abounds from his mouth is mind boggling...  MNF is like a Brittney Spears video, I have to mute it to be able to enjoy it...

I'm going to have to go with Lewin/Grieve as my favorite living sportscasters.  They just make such an odd pair it makes baseball fun to watch on TV.  For pro football I like the job Troy Aikman is doing and thats not just the hometown talking.

Guess I was confused. I thought the title of the thread was "Who is your favorite sportscaster?" As in MY favorite. I didn't realize it was who is MeanGreenBuzz's favorite. I'll read more carefully in the future.

Also a big fan of Aikman.

Guess I was confused.  I thought the title of the thread was "Who is your favorite sportscaster?"  As in MY favorite.  I didn't realize it was who is MeanGreenBuzz's favorite.  I'll read more carefully in the future. 

Also a big fan of Aikman.

MGB got tea-bagged on that one.

True. True.

Have you ever noticed how Musburger always seems to add a little suffix to a player's name (ie. Joe becomes Joey, Jim or James becomes Jimmy, Robert or Bob becomes Bobby) even though there has never been anyone else use that suffix in referring to the player ?

I don't care for Brenty Musburger.

Brad Sham Doesn't matter what sport he calls, he's great.

Craig Way Walking book of football knowledge.

Tim Ryan One of my favorites.

Mark Holtz

Ralph Strangis/Darry Reaugh Great announcers, and really nice guys.

Brad Nessler

Jub-Jub Excellent play-by-play guy.

Keith Jackson--used to be great, now a shell of his former self. Still has a wonderful delivery sometimes. Horrible job in the last two Rose Bowls. sad.gif

There are quite a few that I like...but I absolutely can't stand Bill Walton for NBA games. "Take it to the hole, throw it down big daddy." "Yao Ming is just too strong, he makes everyone else look like little children running around."

It doesn't matter who's playing...whichever guy is the best player on the court instantly becomes the best player at that position in NBA history. In my opinion, that deadhead needs to truck on down the road.