Sun Belt Officials Pitchin' The Yellow

MeanGreen61

Post on the Sun Belt Delphi board by Space Raider

Sun Belt Conference officials frequently throw yellow flags

By Jack Carey, USA TODAY

Officials working games in the nation's newest NCAA Division I-A football conference have been busier lately than those in other leagues. For each of the last three seasons, Sun Belt Conference games have had more penalties called than games involving any other league in the nation.

user posted image

Referees have called more penalties in the Sun Belt Conference than in any other Division I-A league.

By Robert Hanashiro, USA TODAY

Infractions by league

The Sun Belt has been the Division I-A conference with the most penalties called, on average, each of the last three football seasons. How the 11 I-A leagues compare on penalty calls, not necessarily those accepted, over a three-year average for 2003-05:

League Penalties/game

Sun Belt 19.3

Pacific-10 18.0

Big 12 17.2

Southeastern 16.1

Western Athletic 16.0

Avg. of

I-A leagues 15.6

Atlantic Coast 15.3

Conference USA 15.3

Mountain West 14.8

Mid-American 14.1

Big Ten 13.4

Big East 13.3

Source: Jim Blackwood, Western Athletic Conference

USA TODAY ARTICLE

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/foo...penalties_x.htm

Sorry but the Big12 refs called 1 penalty on DD team at KS and the SEC called 5 at the LSU game I know you love to berate the team and DD but look at the facts.

Sometimes you have to make a play to make a penalty. Like, you have to be CAPABLE of holding the opposing athlete to get a holding call. You'd have to be able to tackle your opponent in order to get a late hit or facemask. It's why you won't see a lot of penalties on us when we play far superior teams.

sigh

So, because SBC officials are better at catching infractions, they "suck?"

Did anyone else see the article earlier in the week about officials? It seems there were a number of complaints about CUSA officials in a bowl game.

And the Alamo bowl was mentioned for controversial calls, not incorrect ones! In other articles the days after the game when the equipment break down was explained, the Big 10 commish both WW pointed out the Alamo bowl officiating crew had acted correctly under the circumstances.

By the way, during the Rose Bowl, the announcers pointed out the officials from the Big 10 conference probably weren't used to seeing the athletic ability of Vince Young.

As many refs, players and fans will say, a penalty could be called on every single play during a football game. What it comes down to is whether the "penalty" affected the actual play. Was someone held clear across on the other side of the field from the ball? I have spoken to several refs who have said so and they try to focus on only calling penalties when it obviously affected the play. Another way to look at it is when Brandon K. was here, he got held most of the game, but the refs wouldn't call it every time it happened.

Ummm.  Yeah they did.  Wasn't that Mack Brown's comment about Booger.  You either have to double team him or hold him.

This thread is just more proof the haters will spin anything. 

The Alamo Bowl will only be rembered for its ending.

Seeing Booger dominate the Texas offensive line was something else. I would give anything to have him back this year.