DRC Article

Harry

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/...g.1114df25.html

Wilson commits to UNT

04:39 PM CST on Tuesday, December 13, 2005

By BRETT VITO / Staff Writer

Woody Wilson, a 6-1, 185-pound quarterback from Coffeyville Community College confirmed late Monday night that he has orally committed to play for North Texas.

Wilson will transfer to UNT at the semester break and will have three years of eligibility remaining with the Mean Green.

Wilson threw for 910 yards and rushed for 214 last season, despite playing in just six games before breaking his collarbone early on in a loss to Garden City in the Red Ravens' seventh game of the season.

Tight end Brian Carlson has also committed to UNT. The 6-5, 271-pound former Kilgore Junior College standout said he cancelled a visit to New Mexico after committing to UNT.

Wilson was recruited as a defensive back by Nebraska, Kansas State and Kansas. For complete coverage of UNT recruiting, see Wednesday's edition of the Denton Record-Chronicle.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com

TE Brian Carlson 6'5 271

You sure that he is a te and not an O-linemen. He weighs as much as some of our starting linemen.

910 passing and 214 through 6 games.

Those seem like some pretty good stats. Was anyone else recruiting Wilson as a Qb?

Harry can we expect one more or are we staying at 3? It would be nice to add some beef on either line. Or a cb since we have 2 spots open.

I am thrilled that he will be here at midterm.

I am very happy about him coming into the competition, but I am a little worried about most schools wanting him to convert to a db.

The difference, at least in my mind, is that it was top tier programs asking him; not the directional Louisianna's of the world. From the description; Wilson appears to be a first class athlete.

Rivals Info On Wilson

I can see why other D1A schools would want him to be a DB, hes on the smallish side for a prototypical QB. On Rivals it stated he was going to go to Arkansas but had to get his grades up. That concerns me some. Not that necessarily that he needed higher grades, but that they were for ARKANSAS.

Either way, good pick up for us and look forward to seeing him in practice!

I guess this would seal Phillips fate as a safety?

Edited by Eagle1855

You mean Warren?  If so, I think the fact he started the last few games of the season probably speaks to his staying there.

Err yeah... sorry... getting late, brain powering down... they are about the same size guys, however. Seems like all of our QBs are about 6 foot and between around 180-200 (with the exception of Byerly and I dont see him coming back as a QB)

Edited by Eagle1855

Wilson's full stats can be found at:

http://www.kjccc.org/football/05/05stats/0...f/sindiv_2.html

63-107 (59%) for 910 yds, with 8 TDs and 2 INTs passing

33 car, 214 yds (6.48 ypc) and 1 TD

Very nice numbers for the games he played.

However, I don't really know that a guy with one year as a JuCo is really any different than the guys we have on the roster at this point in time. Yes, we need more bodies to compete and all, but that's all I can see this as.

After watching his films I'm pretty impressed with his ability to run the ball and throw on the run. Which is good the way the O-line played this year. Didn't see to many plays from the pocket. As long as he can get the ball downfield to JQ and B. Jackson he will be fine. It'll be intresting to hear what DD has to say about these signings tomorrow.

Speaking of guys who played QB in HS, whatever happened to Tye Rexode? It says he runs a 4.5 and is 6'3"... surely there is somewhere he can fit in? He is listed on the NT site as being a DE (at 200lbs  :blink: ) and a back up linebacker this year.

Rexrode should be moved to fullback which is where he played until his senior year at Comfort. He needs to bulk up to play the position in college, but he certainly has the frame to carry it. Curiously enough, the running back that played in the backfield with Tye for the Bobcats is playing on the defensive line at TCU.

After watching his films I'm pretty impressed with his ability to run the ball and throw on the run. Which is good the way the O-line played this year. Didn't see to many plays from the pocket. As long as he can get the ball downfield to JQ and B. Jackson he will be fine. It'll be intresting to hear what DD has to say about these signings tomorrow.

If he was being recruited to play defensive back; then he should be fastest enough to not only move around the pocket but also to gain yardage. Spring practice should be interesting. I can't think of a clearer message to the quarterbacks on the roster: everything's a competition.

Rivals Info On Wilson

I can see why other D1A schools would want him to be a DB, hes on the smallish side for a prototypical QB. On Rivals it stated he was going to go to Arkansas but had to get his grades up. That concerns me some. Not that necessarily that he needed higher grades, but that they were for ARKANSAS.

Either way, good pick up for us and look forward to seeing him in practice!

I guess this would seal Phillips fate as a safety?

What the hell is a prototypical 1A college quarterback? Successful college quarterbacks come in all shapes and sizes. This ain't the NFL. If it was, I sure wouldn't turn down a Michael Vick or a Doug Flutie. They're both shorter and lighter than this guy is listed. Sounds about the right size (and speed) for Dickey ball. Hope he has the skills to go with it.

What the hell is a prototypical 1A college quarterback? Successful college quarterbacks come in all shapes and sizes. This ain't the NFL. If it was, I sure wouldn't turn down a Michael Vick or a Doug Flutie. They're both shorter  and lighter than this guy is listed. Sounds about the right size (and speed) for Dickey ball. Hope he has the skills to go with it.

Hope he also has the durability for DD ball.

DDickey needs to chunk his playbook in the nearest trash can and go to the kind of pass oriented offense that 94% of all other NCAA 1-A schools run according to one recent newspaper blurb I read on that subject; and by doing such allowing NT to not have to beg, steal and borrow to get proven HS skill position talent to look at our school; rather than shun NT because of what offense we run and what all now know is usually very lowly ranked offense among the other 119 schools in NCAA D1-A.

I think some of you have posted that most non-BCS schools who when they beat the high profile schools usually do it with a QB-run offense who actually had good passing credentials in the high school ranks; not another safety or defensive back who would become a (make or break) QB project at UNT. sad.gif

GBT!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Very true, but at least we are getting one now. We can't change the past, but at least we aren't repeating the mistake.

Right now we are talking about Mr. Wilson's "potential". As I recall, Dandy Don Meredith used to say that "potential is when you ain't done it yet".

Fortunately we won't have to wait long to see how Mr. Wilson performs in pads when he suits up this spring.

Right now we are talking about Mr. Wilson's "potential". As I recall, Dandy Don Meredith used to say that "potential is when you ain't done it yet".

Fortunately we won't have to wait long to see how Mr. Wilson performs in pads when he suits up this spring.

So we now have 3 Soph. QB's plus possibly Byerly coming back, then Haynes,

A few to many, what are the coaches going to do?

Wilson seems to be coming here to play QB and not DB, but that is what Gilmore did last year, he chose us over UTEP to play TE and DE and we still chucked him to DE and long snapper. Lets hope Wilson is the real deal. huh.gif