Anyone get the impression Eric Pegram

WIFE2HOT4U

What are his credentials?  Who has he recruited for?  Not questioning you, I just wasn't aware of him being in a position as a coach or recruiter in the past.

Just his NFL experience. I'd say that being an RB at the NFL level would qualify him for RB coaching at the NCAA level, especially at the SBC football level. He probably has a lot to teach the kids as well as get them fired up for a school that tends to be RB-based.

Yes, he said he wanted to get into coaching anywhere -- at UNT was never implied or mentioned.  He only DESIRES to get into coaching. ph34r.gif

Actually, at UNT was implied. He said coaching HERE is where he belonged. It was an easy word to pass over because he said it quickly, but I heard it, and I know I wasn't hearing things. Because I immediately thought, "he said here... that's interesting". I even commented to my coworker who is a UNT alumn.

I have a friend who was all EVERYTHING as an OL at Nebraska. Drafted 2nd round by Pittsburgh. Didn't pan out well because of injury.

He is now the OL coach at Denton High for 3 seasons.

HE would be more qualified to be a D1 position coach then Eric Pegram.

Eric is a great guy, but how about getting some experience in high school or a smaller school before diving straight into D1 - A football.

Build a resume first. You can't go from college graduate to CEO of a Fortune 500 business. Get some work experience, show some talent at your profession and work through the trenches a few years (at least 10) before making a bid for the top job at a major corporation.

Same here. Pegram was a good RB. Prove you can teach it before jumping into the big time.

Actually, at UNT was implied.  He said coaching HERE is where he belonged.  It was an easy word to pass over because he said it quickly, but I heard it, and I know I wasn't hearing things.  Because I immediately thought, "he said here... that's interesting".  I even commented to my coworker who is a UNT alumn.

Missed that -- thanks for the update. biggrin.gif

I have a friend who was all EVERYTHING as an OL at Nebraska. Drafted 2nd round by Pittsburgh. Didn't pan out well because of injury.

He is now the OL coach at Denton High for 3 seasons.

HE would be more qualified to be a D1 position coach then Eric Pegram.

Eric is a great guy, but how about getting some experience in high school or a smaller school before diving straight into D1 - A football.

Build a resume first. You can't go from college graduate to CEO of a Fortune 500 business. Get some work experience, show some talent at your profession and work through the trenches a few years (at least 10) before making a bid for the top job at a major corporation.

Same here. Pegram was a good RB. Prove you can teach it before jumping into the big time.

Question - Mike Singleterry (sp) was on the short list at Baylor,does anyone know if he had/has been coaching? Also,it's common to see Ex-NFL players go from the field to coaching in the NFL,why can't it be done in college?

Well then with his Dallas link I say we put him in charge of the Dallas area recruiting and move RF to the very important greater Alaskan area. He would probably provide the same number as in the last few years.

(Monkeypox @ Nov 22 2005, 04:32 PM)

He wouldn't be diving straight into D1-A football.  He'd be diving into the Sun Belt, which is more like jumping into the kiddie pool feet first while wearing floaties.

laugh.gifbiggrin.giflaugh.gifbiggrin.giflaugh.gif

Rick

How many DFW-area recruits have we brought in the past couple years?

I believe we need to define who recruits what area...I would appreciate info from anyone on this issue.

Most know I am not a RF proponent and have heard rumors about his lack of recruiting...just can't say he recruits the DFW area...I believe other coaches have part of this area...maybe the surburbs and FW.

2005 recruits in what I consider the DFW area:

Karthay Agbattah Irving MacArthur

David Collins Kennedale

Jonathan Stewart Arlington Sequin

Steve Warren Burleson

Roy Covington Dallas Skyline

Deavin Cox Dallas Bishop Lynch

Brady Harmon Weatherford....already gone

Colt Mahan Keller

David Meager Richardson

Thomas Pratt Coppell....already gone

Issac Thomas Mansfield

Micah West Irving

I love the fact Pegram had the courage to come right out and say that he wanted to coach here.  He has a lot of enthusiasm and would be a good recruiter.  I would think he would be a nice replacement for Bell.

I don't believe a lot of our board doesn't understand how important Bruce Bell was to NT. His job as asst AD for the Houston ISD before coming back this last year was to work with 23 schools in the Houston ISD. His prior experience was as an asst coach at the Colony HS, FTBend Kempner, and Houston Waltrip, FT Bend Willowridge, and Forest Brook HS. I could list the recruits from his area the last two years if anyone questions this insider contact knowledge.

I am not opposed to Pegram being hired, he just can't replace the working knowledge of the coaches in the Houston area that Bell has.

Bell was the RB coach for NT..Cobbs, Thomas

I hope he at least stays through the recruiting season, even though he will be hampered with fighting the fact he won't be here for the players he commits which opposing coaches are sure to throw at him.