Dicky's postgame interveiw

NTEXES1

I would guess the "technical difficulty" was having to get off the air at :30 for the houston stations programming.

It's not like Dickey has skipped post game shows before.

It's not like this is the worst loss he's ever had.

It's not like he was goign to face a ton of hostile questions.

You forgot to add one other remark that George made that he found the "technical difficulty" unbelievable!! Also heard that George walked out on an interview with DD last week when DD became testy and challenging over just a run of the mill interview comment by George and Hank had to finish the interview. You could hear the disgust and hopelessness in their voices today. Put it in SIX INCH HEADLINES this team will NOT win the SBC and "the streak " ends in embarrassing fashion on national t v before mostly empty stands on 10/04. This program has become an embarrassement to all associated with UNT and it is quickly giving faculty the ammo they need to kill or deemphasize the program. Blind loyalty over being the "best of the worst" proves absolutely nothing to anyone. This team quit again for the second week in a row. tongue.gif

You forgot to add one other remark that George made that he found the "technical difficulty" unbelievable!! Also heard that George walked out on an interview with DD last week when DD became testy and challenging over just a run of the mill interview comment by George and Hank had to finish the interview. You could hear the disgust and hopelessness in their voices today. Put it in SIX INCH HEADLINES this team will NOT win the SBC and "the streak " ends in embarrassing fashion on national t v before mostly empty stands on 10/04. This program has become an embarrassement to all associated with UNT and it is quickly giving faculty the ammo they need to kill or deemphasize the program. Blind loyalty over being the "best of the worst" proves absolutely nothing to anyone. This team quit again for the second week in a row.  tongue.gif

Tell it DG! These zombies are all willing to follow DD and the status quo. WAKE UP!!!!

It will be worked on ---  in the meantime what are you doing toward making things better rather than just blindly defending the status quo?

What are you talking about? huh.gifhuh.gifhuh.gif

I've spent alot of time/money/effort to get people involved with North Texas Athletics, I don't think I have to defend myself on that front.

If your dislike of DD is so strong you can't see past someones support of him, then sorry, there isn't anything I can do.

However, I am glad you are doing something that you think will improve the program, way too many of our alumni just don't care.

So you don't like DD, we get it.

Instead of posting that 100's of times, why don't you do something to raise the money to get him replaced?

I give money and time to the program and I may have to change the designation to coaching change fund. I refuse to sit by while the program gets run into the ground and the coach kills the fan base. If one thing I can do is express that here and hope RV or a board of regent member reads it then so be it. Why do you not want higher goals for the program and seem happy with it heading for the cliff? huh.gif

Edited by LoveMG

I am for a change in the system but throwing DD out so quickly after what he has done for UNT. This year has just become magnified with the 2 consecutive blowouts by non-Top 25 teams.

Something must change, whether it means finding a new system to complement our players or what not.

I am as angry as most everyone, but Cerebrus and others are correct it is to rash to say we need to toss DD now.

I give money and time to the program and I may have to change the designation to coaching change fund.

I can respect that.

I refuse to sit by while the program gets run into the ground and the coach kills the fan base.

Are you seriously trying to tell me the fan base is smaller now than it was when DD took over. Because you are just wrong. Season ticekts are up, MGC membership is up, when I first went to school it was shocking to see someone in a North Texas shirt on campus, now its shocking to see another schools shirt on campus.

In fact, walking back from the eesat last week, I saw a guy wearing a aTm shirt, I soon heard a girl heckle him with "You aren't at a&m, why don't you have a North Texas shirt on".

I had never been prouder. biggrin.gif

If one thing I can do is express that here and hope RV or a board of regent member reads it then so be it.

Write them a letter, make sure a check is in it. Then they will listen.

Why do you not want higher goals for the program and seem happy with it heading for the cliff?  huh.gif

You are right, I don't want us to have higher goals, I spend 100's of hours and 1000's of dollars every year so we can be mediocre. wink.gif

I just happen to think that our best way to get better is the improvement I have seen over the DD years. I don't think our problems are so shallow as to allow something like a head coaching change to lead us to the next level.

I am for a change in the system but throwing DD out so quickly after what he has done for UNT.

What exactly has he done?

4 sunbelch championships, best of the worst league in America, big accomplishment? beat a lousy Cincy team in bowl, so

65-0 to ut, 54-2 to tulsa, numerous routs, losses to every BCS school we've played except one year to a pitiful BU team then killed the next season by the same lousy team, loss to 1-AA FAU, numerous ooc losses.

I am for a change in the system but throwing DD out so quickly after what he has done for UNT. This year has just become magnified with the 2 consecutive blowouts by non-Top 25 teams.

Something must change, whether it means finding a new system to complement our players or what not.

I am as angry as most everyone, but Cerebrus and others are correct it is to rash to say we need to toss DD now.

Blowouts have come on a yearly basis multiple times each year. this isn't like its the first time happening. Dickey helped us raise the bar. But, if this is as far as he can take us... then, we need to find someone else who can go further.

I want some progress

Edited by Travis

People, please explain to me when NORTH TEXAS has had a better run than that.

I say we were better and had more respect in 1988 and 1994 when we went to the 1-AA playoffs and beat 1-A teams like tech, rice, osu, and ut. The fake bowl for the 4-time winner of the worst conference is not the achievement you make it out to be. Ask any non nt college football fan. Again, why do you want to settle for false achievement?

As for killing the fan base just compare the Fouts crowd for the Tulsa game to the Troy game then maybe you'll get it. dry.gif

I say we were better and had more respect in 1988 and 1994 when we went to the 1-AA playoffs and beat 1-A teams like tech, rice, osu, and ut.

We didn't beat UT. I know, I've heard all the stories, as far as history is concerned we didn't beat ut.

We didnt beat OSU until 95, and we only won one other game. I sure wouldn't trade that year for one of the last 4.

Between 88-94 we only had 4 winning season, in 1AA.

Sure we beat some TT's, but we lost to alot of SFA's.

The fake bowl for the 4-time winner of the worst conference is not the achievement you make it out to be.

Getting to the 1aa playoffs and being usherd out in the first round is not the achievment you make it out to be.

Beating OSU and going 1-9 the rest of the way is not the achievement you make it out to be.

Again, why do you want to settle for false achievement?

I'm sorry you missed my sarcasm. I am not happy with losing OOC games, I just haven't seen a better plan from anyone else.

DD is improving this program, maybe to slow for you, but I don't see a better alternative.

As for killing the fan base just compare the Fouts crowd for the Tulsa game to the Troy game then maybe you'll get it.  dry.gif

Maybe if you'll compare season ticket sales and MGC donations between this year and any of the 88-94 years you'll get it.

I say we were better and had more respect in 1988 and 1994 when we went to the 1-AA playoffs and beat 1-A teams like tech, rice, osu, and ut.  The fake bowl for the 4-time winner of the worst conference is not the achievement you make it out to be.  Ask any non nt college football fan.  Again, why do you want to settle for false achievement?

I wasn't a UNT fan back then, so I can't speak for what it was like. But I thought my own (and probably many others on this board) CURRENT schema my demonstrate my argument against that absurd statement (is it absurd? maybe I'm wrong)

If you asked me or any of my crazy football nut friends that we are to name ANY 1-AA playoff team from ANY recent year, I'd give you a blank stare. Maybe those years were special to you, but they were probably a blip to everyone else. And FWIW, the "fake" conference runs and "fake" bowls are what made me a REAL Mean Green fan. Quite frankly, I take that as a shot in the face against the green that runs in my blood.

-gm

Honestly, sending DD on his way right now would NOT help the program. Firing a coach coming off 4 straight conference championships and bowl seasons would do nothing but bring MORE NEGATIVE publicity our way. As pitiful as we are in OOC, we are pretty much stuck with DD. Yes, I'm tired of it as well but we might as well quit the crying and complaining until we've not won a conference championship for ONE year.

As for killing the fan base just compare the Fouts crowd for the Tulsa game to the Troy game then maybe you'll get it.  dry.gif

Sorry pal, but a home opener on family weekend is gonna be a little more packed than a TUESDAY night game where people just wont be able to come from all over to make the game. So, thats a pretty weak arguement.

Stop all the Dickey bashing. He cant win an out of conference game, thats not breaking news. Im pretty sure thats common knowledge. Your not the only won whose noticed this. We all know, and we dont like it, but its just where we are right now. I dont think firing him right now is the option. We beat a decent MUTS team a couple of weeks ago, and Im sorry but Troy just isnt as good this year either.

The progam isnt in shambles either. I know the stadium is taking longer than we had hoped. So, we have to be glad that in the meantime they are doing whatever they can to make the experiance at Fouts more enjoyable (ie new turf, new pavillion). We ARE making progress. There are peaks and valleys on the way up. Show the team that we are behind them no matter what.

We dont need fair weathered fans.

GMG!!!

We dont need fair weathered fans.

GMG!!!

I've seen this statement from several different forumers recently. At this point, we shouldn't be turning away ANY fans...fair weather or not. For Tuesday's ESPN game we should be inviting every hurricane evacuee and homeless person we can find.

I have seen no marketing/advertising campaign promoting this game whatsoever. It will be yet another embarrassment to have a half-empty stadium in front of a national TV audience. On the other hand, a strong performance on the field coupled with a great atmoshpere could do wonders for getting ESPN to return to Denton. Not to mention how it could help our attendance from DFW residents.

Everyone makes a good point, which is what makes this such a good/hard debate. I believe what everyone wants is progress. Or, maybe it's to be competitive no matter who we line up against.

There are many things that are better now than they were then. They should be. That's the benefit of moving from 1AA to 1A. The conference championships are just that. You can't take them away because you don't like the league they're in. Yes, they don't mean anything to someone not in our conference, but they did help bring in the casual fan we've been missing the past few years. They also helped in fund raising and school pride.

The two best teams in North Texas history did not go to a bowl game. Shanklin/Ramsey's team and Mean Joe's teams. Why? There were not 30+ bowl games and conference championship to be won. We could all focus on that and realize there have been other times in this school's history we could have capitalized on and did not do it. The point is that was then, but what should be the focus now?

It's all about progress. Any diehard fan knew this was going to be a down year. We are not at a level where we restock. We are rebuilding. The question becomes why have we just suffered the worst home loss in school history followed up by allowing KSU a school record 658 total yards in offense. Why were we not better prepared for this time? Is that acceptable at any time? Is the status quo acceptable? When is the appropriate time to start asking, "when will we take the next step?" Is now too early or can we live on the past four years? When does the support and money begin to suffer? Will we lose the opportunity (like in the past) to build on what we have accomplished. These are things I don't know and I'd hate to be in RV's shoes trying to figure it out.

I have no answers. Every questions brings up more questions. The only thing I know is that now more than ever the players need our support. Anyone can show up when things are good, but they need us the most when things are bad. I'll be there at every game this year, win or lose, for the players.

Edited by GMoney