And the Starting QB is...

adman

So the QB race has been "narrowed" to six according to meangreensports.com

http://www.meangreensports.com/ViewArticle...0&ATCLID=167620

I've heard a few people sing the praises of Meager and lament about Ieans. What of the other 4? Anyone seen them play? Aside from Meager does anyone seem to be a front runner based on previous performance, stats, physicality?

Does anyone have the physical stats of all six: ht, wt, lefty or righty, speed. Any of these guys have a cannon?

My best guess would be that Meager will be the starting QB. Backup will be Cullen Mills or Kellen Hayes...based on the fact all 3 are familiar with the NT system. Warren has also gone through spring training if I remember correctly.

If DD is looking at the long run for back up it should be Hayes or Warren.

Ieans has the size but just doesn't to be the QB of the future.

Merely a gut feeling here, but I feel NT QB Meager will not only start, but will take the MG Nation and the entire Sun Belt Conference by surprise. He will give us new dimensions as the Mean Green QB. He had a great tutor in the person of future NT Athletic Hall of Famer Scott Hall.

Meager has the injury bug-a-boo behind him now and it will be all systems go for our redshirt freshman. Lest we forget, he came from a large Texas HS and produced the kind of numbers that even had the University of California Golden Bears as well as the University of Virginia Cavaliers after his services, so in that regard, he would hardly be called a project at NORTH TEXAS.

I have no idea on the #2 QB but know we have some good young talent in camp which starts in just a few days.

Just my .02...

Merely a gut feeling here, but I feel NT QB Meager will not only start, but will take the MG Nation and the entire Sun Belt Conference by surprise. He will give us new dimensions as the Mean Green QB. He had a great tutor in the person of future NT Athletic Hall of Famer Scott Hall.

Meager has the injury bug-a-boo behind him now and it will be all systems go for our redshirt freshman. Lest we forget, he came from a large Texas HS and produced the kind of numbers that even had the University of California Golden Bears as well as the University of Virginia Cavaliers after his services, so in that regard, he would hardly be called a project at NORTH TEXAS.

Did you ever see him play? (hs)

Is he tough mentaly?

.....................................................................................

No, I did not see him play in HS.

Basing this on the fact that he has already had one year under Dickey's offense with Scott Hall as tutor. I don't know how many snaps he was getting last Fall, but still just being at practice every day as under-study to Scott Hall is a big plus. <>*<> Anyone recall another RS frosh at NT who did the same thing his true freshman year with Scott Hall as his tutor?

Also basing this on 2 of this board's recruiting gurus and the glaring fact that 2 pretty decent NCAA D1-A football programs were vying for Meager's services his senior year at Richardson. Just because a QB breaks a leg or has an injury or 2 doesn't mean he is not mentally tough if that is where you are going with that.sad.gif

As I said, all this a gut feeling with Meager who has that good football pedigree he exhibited at a Texas 5A high school. I also base this on how our NT coaches handled the great Andrew Smith (also then a RS frosh) when Scott Hall went down at UT. Our NT coaches "only" tutored Drew all the way to a New Orleans Bowl win over the CUSA football champion that year.

I think we are going to be pleased with Dan Meager as the starting QB in Denton, but I think its our SBC opponents who are going to be the most surprised. cool.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

The reason I have Ieans listed last is how bad he's looked at the position in the past. It's the unfortunate side effect of having the reps he's had. By all virtues he could be better than the 2 or 3 guys I've listed whom I've yet to see take a snap for the Mean Green.... but it would be hard. Right now, I don't have enough evidence on any of these guys to REALLY have an idea what they're capable of, and I've got no ponies in this race, so it has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Meager: Meager was obviously one of the top two going into the spring.... it was between him and Byerly. In the time he did play, he came out just under Byerly, not enough to really separate, and I figured it would come down to the summer. It did. Byerly didn't pass, and that puts Meager in the driver's seat. He's got the pedigree and the numbers. He was considered a very good recruit, and to some degree I'll defer to those whose job it is to evaluate such things. For now, Meager's the man.

Mills: It's not often someone leaves a team and comes back, but these are seemingly desparate times. I'm one of those who feel there's nothing worse than not knowing who THE guy is. Mills has been in the system longest, which, despite the fact that we don't run the Fun 'n' Gun out there, DOES matter. It's a difference in just the TIME SPENT in the college game.... seeing, reading, recognizing. It's also one of the most important features in a backup. You don't necessarily go for the most spectacular here, but the guy who can reasonably get the job done.

Haynes: For many of the same reasons Mills will be in there fighting, Haynes will be there, even if only for backup duties. His familiary with the system will place him a little higher than the other guys, and he's looked good in practices.

Phillips: If I DID have a bias, it would probably be for this guy, but I've got my reasons. Size, strength, numbers. It also happens to be the guy I've seen and heard play the most, from my time in West Texas over the last couple of years. Although his arrival at North Texas wasn't nearly as heralded as some of the other young QB recruits, I feel he would be the most likely to step in his freshman year and make a difference. He's the most "ready", IMO. That doesn't necessarily mean his has the most upside.

Warren: I've also had the pleasure of seeing Warren play. Great kid, superb athlete. Having family in and around Burleson, I've gotten a pretty big picture of Warren the Gamer. What I haven't really seen enough of to feel comfortable with him stepping in is Warren the Passer. Even in our offense, that's what a QB's main responsibility MUST be. Make quick, smart decisions and get the ball to your guys. Because Warren was more of a runner in high school, I'd want a year more to develop his arm, mechanics, decision-making. He appears to be more of a project, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Ieans: Ieans is kind of an enigma. You can see the athleticism there, but nobody seems to know what the RIGHT position is for him. It's getting a little late in the game for him to be an unknown quality, and he hasn't looked very sharp with the ball in his hands. He could CLICK. Stranger things have happened. In fact, I think that's how it will HAVE to happen for Ieans, if it does at all. I wouldn't mind seeing the light come on for him, at ANY position. Heck, I'd try him at DB.

Now, all that said, a moment more on the freshmen. I believe their best chance is with the starting job. I think if they can't beat Meager, then you red-shirt them, and put someone like Mills, Haynes, or Ieans in the backup role. If Meager goes down with an injury long-term, though, you might see one of the freshmen do a leap-frog over the backups to the starting position.

Good grief, I've never seen a qb situation dissected to the point that we have taken this.

I'm sitting back in my easy chair knowing

a) we have a coach who has taken this team through other tough times

cool.gif we have TWO national rushing champions in our backfield

c) Lineberry is back to give us a good o-line (a nice compliment for cool.gif

d) The secondary (according to witnesses on this board) looked MUCH improved in spring, and

d) as Dan Hawkins says "Tradition never dies"

Edited by greenminer

He thinks he looks too much like Byerly.  laugh.gif

Byerly is three times the QB that Ieans ever thought about being. Byerly plays with MUCH MORE confidence, skill, and consistency than Ieans ever thought about playing with. ANYONE with even a modicum of talent-assessment ability who observed spring practice could have seen that.

Now, the only other way that Ieans and Byerly even remotely "looked alike" was by virture of the color of their skin.

Emmitt, I just KNOW that you weren't implying that that was my main criteria. cool.gif